Need a good system back-up software!

In my journey to disable most of the Microsoft services, I’m not looking for an alternative to System Restore. Is there any good software that backs up whole the registry and important system files? Or possible you can configure folders to backup (would like this feature more).
Is Comodo Backup any good for this?

Cheers,
Ragwing

Hey Ragwing, I use ERUNT to backup the registry from time to time and it seems to do a pretty good job. I’ve also used SyncBack SE. The basic version is free for personal use and this to seems to work well enough for my purposes.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Just in case you’re interested I also use double driver for backing up my drivers. Thats come in handy more than once. One problem I have had is that sometimes it won’t back all of them up.

I’ve also heard that Comodo Backup can do some wonderful things… but don’t know from where :BNC

If you’re looking for imaging instead of backup software I’m looking to purchase Acronis myself. I’ve tried about 7 or 8 freeware ones and none seem to work right for me or do what I want them to do easily, the “boot disk” system imaging freeware tools especially.

Dave

If you have a Maxtor or Seagate HD, the Seagate Disc Wizard will clone your disc. It’s a cut-down version of Acronis; I’ve used it several times and it works well.

As for boot: I use Partition Magic and put a small FAT32 partition on to take BootMagic, then made a boot FD from BM.
I’ve found that when I try Linux distros, the boot manager takes over then won’t let go when the distro is removed. There seems to be no way in to XP and the floppy has rescued me several times.

Other HD manufactureres might have the equivalent. If so, please let us know as I have Hitachi and Samsung HDs (although only 1 of the HDs has to be Maxtor/Seagate for the app. to work).

Looks interesting, I’ll take a look at them.

I have one old good Maxtor and a Samsung one., so will try that one too.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Seems like both the Seagate thing and Acronis uses Windows Installer, so I can’t install them :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve download a freeware named SelfImage. I’ll give it a try.
Just need a some help with imaging software.
Here’s an example:
I save whole my D:(40GB) as a IMG-file to C:(300GB).
Now I want to restore the IMG file, it’ll bring back everything and delete everything new. So my question is, how does imaging software handle files already in use? Will they be replaced in boot mode?

Cheers,
Ragwing

Hey Ragwing, I’ve worked with Self Image before in trying to image my drive. I imaged it to an external fine but when attempting to bring it back it restarted my computer then crashed it. I was never able to get it to work right. Just a warning.

As far as files already in use, I think some programs have a way to deal with that in which they still manage to copy the file even though it is in use. I know Drive Image XML (another program that didn’t work quite right for me) had a way to deal with files already in use by the operating system. You may want to take a look over there.

http://www.runtime.org/documentation.htm#dix

Dave

Yeah, I’ll give it a try, but I think I’ll get Acronis Home now that Windows Installer is working again :wink:
As you had bad expreience with SelfImage…
SelfImage has been terminated

Cheers,
Ragwing

Well, the Seagate app. will now do. and is cheap.

Paragon Hard Disk manager seems to image hard drives to. On top of that it does all the other good stuff a hard drive manager should do like partition etc. I just got it and it seems to have a lot of good features. It also has a regular backup manager and the ability to set aside a small part of a partition as a backup you can boot from in case of problems with the main one. It works well for my use and may be worth you taking a look at.

Dave

Hi ol’ Ragwing!

Just an assumption…

iClean by Moosoft

“is meant to restore a system after it has been infected. It can recover from many types of malware and can detect some rootkits.
It is meant to be used by knowledgeable individuals or with the help of a professional.
iClean is free for personal use and is not officially supported.
Use at your own risk.
Works with Windows 98SE/ME/2K SP4+/XP SP1+/Vista
100% Adware/Spyware/Virus Free”

http://www.moosoft.com/iclean/iclean.exe

And, by the way

Their once famous anti-trojan proggie “The Cleaner”

seems, at the moment, to be free for “personal use”…

Version Information
The Cleaner v5
Free for personal use
Windows 98/ME/NT/2K/XP/Vista

http://www.moosoft.com/cleaner5/cleaner5free.exe

Are they into eternal Christmas now?

:slight_smile:

Cheers, and have a merry Christmas, or something similar.

:■■■■