my router has a firewall should i install comodo as well [Resolved]

my wireless router has a hardware firewall built in. should i install comodo as well or is the router firewall sufficent on its own

CFP’s greatest point is leak test protection. I don’t think a router has such outbound defenses.

i’ll install it soon then. is there a list anywhere of what to allow and block as i really dont like pop ups keep asking me to allow or block. i plan on letting windows live messenger be allowed net acsess and avg antimalware so it can scan my mails and download updates

That’s beauty of the applications certified by Comodo option (enabled by default). If it’s a known application of the tens of thousands in Comodo’s database, anytime you connect using this application there won’t be any pop-ups. After you install CFP go to > Security tab at the top > Tasks on the left > Scan for known applications at the bottom right of the screen. Your recognized programs should automatically be granted access to the net. If you’re on a network, then you should also Define a new Trusted Network (that’s on the same screen).

The default rules should suffice and keep your system secure. Aside from known programs, everything is denied access by default.

If your applications are not certified, then a pop-up appears and you can click on the Remember button to allow it (they will appear as Application Monitor rules)

Hi and welcome to the forum! (:WAV)

I have a linksys with NAT and for inbound it’s great but if you want to control outbound as well which can be just as big a security hole, keep CFP. I keep both and in my list it would go something like this…

Hardware firewall

Software firewall

I would use both without a doubt. There is a large controversy which is why this is hard to tell someone what to use. This would be , some say they build a false dome over home users in thinking they need to be stealthed. Now I am not the most experienced IT person and mainly into PC repair but know enough that it’s getting bad enough that stealth is becoming standard and with good reason as others are trying to exploit every aspect of your pc\connection and I truly believe being stealthed will be the only way to go eventually.

Say if you get a baddie and it’s communicating your credit card number>outgoing>the router won’t do much good. In this case, CFP would alert you that something is trying to get out and you can control this action. With Router\Nat, you won’t have this control.

So in my opinion, I suggest having both. I have used both my Linksys<excellent router and my CFP, <excellent firewall, and feel much safer doing so.

This is my opinion on stealth and why to use both and that I feel safe doing so but others may disagree or agree, there is a whole slew of this on the internet and it will make your eyes roll if you read enough. So, given the info above, do YOU feel safer? This is what matters. :wink:

Paul

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The other opinions are that as soon as code is executed as Administrator the computer it “hacked” anyway. But that is why i suggest having a NAT router, Comodo Firewall (Or whatever firewall works for them) and run as a limited user.

I am a firm believer that playing cat and mouse in the kernel is a fools game that only leads to instability. (So we just leave the cat at the kernel level which is Comodo Firewall and the mouse (Trojans and worms and stuff) at the user mode level without access to the kernel (-: .

Most rootkits are custom coded as the source code is readily available this is why when code is run as Administrator and a rootkit is installed, the game is over !!.