My friend has a wireless linksys adapter problem

Dear All,

My friend has a wireless linksys adapter problem.

When the Comodo is set to allow all, the web can be surfed.

When it is set to custom, the web is blocked.

The wired computer is just fine.

Would it be feasible to leave it at allow all or should we try to get it configured to work with the adapter?

Cnon

Well, I was able to fix by using allow all access, is this okay?

Cnon

Uhm, thats not a fix thats disabling the firewall… :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you change any rules so far? Did you allow your browser to connect?

Thanks Lucky :slight_smile:

Aw ________________________________!!! (:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY) (:SHY) (:SHY) (:SHY) (:SHY)

What am I supposed to do??? I don’t know how to config the rules. What should my friend do?? (:SAD) (:SAD) (:SAD) (:SAD)

I guess we might need to go to another firewall… (:SAD) (:SAD)

Cnon

Strange that nearly everybody says that as soon as they have a problem. As if that would fix it hehehe :wink:

All you would need to do is install cfp, start your browser and click “Allow” (with remember) on the pop-up where it asks if your browser should be allowed to connect to whatever site is set to be displayed first.
And allow svchost of course. Microsoft Support
Should you get more pop-ups, don’t remember-deny them. Google them and decide then. But try deny/allow without remembering first.

But when it is set to the custom mode, the entire net is blocked; would a uninstall/reinstall help? The browser I thought was allowed.

Any Ideas?

Cnon

cnon,

If I understand you correctly, it’s not just the browser; your friend has no connectivity to the internet.

Let’s do this…

With the Firewall set to Custom, go to Activity/Logs. Right-click any entry and select “Clear all logs.”

Then reboot the computer; keep the FW on Custom.

You can try the browser if you like. Then go to Activity/Logs. Right-click an entry and select “Export to HTML.”

Save and reopen the file (it will open in a browser window). Highlight all the entries, right-click and Copy them. Then Paste into your next post here. If his external IP address shows (the one which is publicly visible - which it may) you may mask/edit it with “x” for privacy. Please don’t mask IP’s associated with the network (ie, 192.168.x.x or the ISP’s servers, as those may be needed.

Then we’ll figure out what’s blocked and why, and get that fixed…

LM

Thanks.

I’d like to but even if I knew what to copy…the revealing of which might be a not a good thing at all.

We might just retire this Firewall and go someplace else. But thanks much for all of your help. :SMLR

cnon,

I am 100% confident that we can get the problem resolved. If I had to guess, I’d say that svchost.exe has been blocked; this is a system process vital for internet connectivity to be established and maintained. The logs, however, hold the key.

By Clearing the Logs we get rid of the clutter. By rebooting, we also clear any temporary rules (based on user response) out of memory and get to start over fresh. This also restarts the connectivity process. If the FW is blocking anything, it will then promptly show up in the logs. Thus, the entire log file at that point is what we want to see; it should be relatively small.

If you are concerned about security/privacy by posting the logs, you can take the entire HTML file, compress it to a ZIP archive, and password protect it. Then PM me the password. No one else on the forum will then have access to the information contained in the logs.

LM

Thanks LM. :slight_smile: But one thing still puzzles me. When we ran the setup the first time, shouldn’t it have already configed the svchost.exe, ie and firefox? Because ie works okay; it seems to be just firefox that’s flaky. Regardless, I told my friend to set it back to custom, which will lock them down.

Cnon

cnon,

Yes, svchost.exe would be allowed by default. But you’d be surprised the # of users that inadvertently block it. However, if IE works fine, it’s likely not a svchost issue; instead it will be a permissions/rules issue for FF.

If your friend is not running a proxy server for connectivity, please go to Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous & make sure to check the boxes for both “Skip Loopback…” TCP & UDP (only one is checked by default).

While you’re there, make a note of the Alert Frequency level and let me know what that is.

OK.

Then go to Application Monitor, and Remove every rule for Firefox. Then reboot.

After reboot, restart FF via normal route (desktop icon, startmenu… whatever you normally do). Be sure to Allow w/Remember any alerts you get.

LM

PS: You may see an alert that FF is acting like a server. Please Allow w/Remember. This does not mean it’s connecting, or “being” a server. Only means it is preparing to be able to connect; this “server” connection is local/internal to the computer and is not an accessible connection.