My Experience - Good But Resource Wasting

I installed CIS Firewall only on Win 7 32 and looked at the trace afterwards:

About 283 files created with about 202 MB total size. For what for instance you install all possible language files??? 120 files in the folder translations? Just to fill up the HD? Then this repair folder. Why install the software almost twice and if there is no way around it why not compressed?

About 3000 Registry keys created
About 7000 Registry values created
Is the program code in the Registry or why so many?

Memory consumption around > 100 MB

I would say all this is a lot for such a software!!!

The software itself is really good with good documentation. Defense+ is a great idea. But in the end my old firewall uses a fraction of the resources.

What I am missing is an “Allow for Session”. That means after a system restart the Internet will be blocked again for this request. The flag “Remember my answer” is not the same.

The uninstall was surprising. It is pretty clean in respect of files and Registry. This is the reason why I am thinking to keep it even if it creates endless data.

All in all a great software with too much resource wasting.

In my computer CIS without AV just need around 10MB of ram. This includes: D+, Firewall, Sandbox, Cloud AV and cloud BB.
The rules and settings are stored in the registry, anyway you are not going to notice any difference in performance.

I dont know how much space will take the full CIS but taking into account that other suites like Trustport, Fsecure and many others need more than 1GB I would not consider 202Mb a lot.

@lordraiden

“In my computer CIS without AV just need btw 6 and 10 MB of ram. This includes: D+, Firewall, Sandbox, Cloud AV and cloud BB.”

That is really amazing. How did you check this?

Check what? the MB consumption? using the task manager
CIS without AV have 2 process
cpf.exe 3,3 MB (in my computer) but can use sometimes until 15 MB
cmdagent.exe 3.4 MB (in my computer)

That is not correct. Check the memory with CIS installed and without it. That is the real memory consumption. There are for instance services running too.

The memory consumption is not something fixed, if you measure how much is being used in total with and without CIS installed the result is totally useless.
If you want detailed information use process explorer and you will be able to see btw other thing the “private bytes” and the “working set”

Read this: shsc.info - This website is for sale! - shsc Resources and Information.

You will see that the private bytes values are higher but this is not ram consumption, all the Av has very high values on the “private bytes” even the lightest ones.

Please make sure that there are no left overs of previously uninstalled security programs around. Not all uninstallers do a proper job. And left over applications, drivers or services can cause all sort of “interesting effects”.

Following are two of my tutorials to make sure there are no more left overs.

Use existing removal tools

Try using removal tools for those programs. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Otherwise do a Google search with terms “removal tool” and * name of product or vendor*.

For a more technical hands on approach (for advanced users only):

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previously uninstalled security programs are still around. First run "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1’ without the quotes from the command prompt.

Then go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> reboot your computer. You need to Google the driver’s names to see to what programs they belong to. You don’t want to uninstall Microsoft/Windows related drivers of course; some Microsoft drivers may show up as non active please don’t uninstall them. It is best to make a system restore point before this of course.

When the problem persists make sure there are no auto starts from your previous security programs. Download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting push Escape and go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries, to include empty locations and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.

+1

So what If any other process or service installed decide to do a task and starts to use 100MB more than before? this MB are also due to comodo?

Cannot help myself anymore. I look at the free memory without CIS and the free memory after installing and you say this is wrong. I did this 3 times based on a complete system restore without CIS. You must be kidding or my system is wrong or I am wrong. But I took a clean system restore without CIS and those are the results after installing…sorry.

So please Comodo tell me the memory consumption of CIS. 2 MB, 5 MB or really 100 MB or more. I made my statement. Pease make yours too ;D

To the message of EricJH - I did not remove anything - what are you talking about? I just installed CIS. And by the way - I have been using computers for more than 35 years. Don’t understand what you are talking about - sorry.

This time try to read.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You did not get it sorry - but there are for instance CIS services running too.

For my this topic is closed.

And the services relies on process, so the memory usage is reflected on a process.

Using process explorer

cpf.exe does not have any service assigned

What you don’t understand is explained in some of the links that I posted before.

[attachment deleted by admin]

But after a clean install without CIS and an install with CIS it is suddenly 100 MB more.

So please make an official Comodo statement about the memory consumption of CIS - an official one. There has to be a clear statement. 5 MB? 5 to 10 MB? Please make a statement so that I can check what is wrong with my system.

I do not want to fight here - I just tell you what happened without CIS and with CIS - I checked this 3 times - 3 times I restored a partition backup and found the same result after installing CIS. Nothing else was changed. CIS added more than 100 MB.

One more thing. No services - you are sure! Do you know for instance the CMDAGENT service? It is running…

The problem is not the statement the problem is you (and me) understanding how windows manage the memory and the different kinds of them. Not all the memory in the ram is active. Anyway I’m not an expert, I just have a very rough idea.
Do the same with Norton, Kaspersky or any other and you will see bigger differences using your method to calculate the memory consumption.

But anyway don’t worry about this if you have enough ram 2gb or more

Sometimes programs that get uninstalled leave behind components of its self. When that happens with security programs it is possible that this left over component interferes with CIS. That’s why I ask people to make sure that no left overs of security programs that were installed in the past are around. The easiest way is to run removal tools of those products.

Cmdagent.exe (Comodo Internet Security Helper Service) is the instance that does the actual filtering. Cfp.exe, or the client program, instructs cmdagent.exe.

Cmdagent.exe will temporarily use more memory when it is updating the av database or when opening a folder with a lot of installer or other archives. That could explain the incidental rises in memory usage you are witnessing (assuming it is the memory usage of cmdagent.exe you are concerned about).

So EricJH what is the official statement of Comodo in respect of memory consumption? You say mine is wrong so what is then correct? If you say mine is wrong then I expect you know the answer.

How are you measuring RAM usage?

As Eric mentioned, there are times when RAM usage of cmdagent.exe will spike, such as the AV updating the virus database or running a scan, but RAM usage of 100MB is definitely not typical for resting states. (Application is not updating or running a scan)

Currently on my system:
cmdagent.exe 7.5MB
cfp.exe 7.2MB

I am not a Comodo employee. All moderators are volunteers; we are end users like you. Comodo employees can be recognised by the Staff avatar.

I am trying to give explanations for what the behaviour you have witnessed. It is not clear from your description if the memory usage of 100 MB by cmdagent.exe is intermittent or continuous. I am also interested to know if the behaviour is the same after possible left overs of previously installed security are cleaned up.