My COMODO doesn't listen to me!

So, here is what that happens:

http://s29.postimg.org/dkwipstwn/COMODO_Firewall.png

[attachment deleted by admin]

[b]Set alert Frequency level[/b] - Enabling this option allows you to configure the amount of alerts that Comodo Firewall generates, from the drop-down. It should be noted that this does not affect your security, which is determined by the rules you have configured (for example, in 'Application Rules' and 'Global Rules'). For the majority of users, the default setting of 'Low' is the perfect level - ensuring you are kept informed of connection attempts and suspicious behaviors whilst not overwhelming you with alert messages. ([b]Default=Disabled[/b])

The options available are:

• Very High: The firewall shows separate alerts for outgoing and incoming connection requests for both TCP and UDP protocols on specific ports and for specific IP addresses, for an application. This setting provides the highest degree of visibility to inbound and outbound connection attempts but leads to a proliferation of firewall alerts. For example, using a browser to connect to your Internet home-page may generate as many as 5 separate alerts for an outgoing TCP connection alone.
  • High: The firewall shows separate alerts for outgoing and incoming connection requests for both TCP and UDP protocols on specific ports for an application.
  • Medium: The firewall shows alerts for outgoing and incoming connection requests for both TCP and UDP protocols for an application.
  • Low: The firewall shows alerts for outgoing and incoming connection requests for an application. This is the setting recommended by Comodo and is suitable for the majority of users.
  • Very Low: The firewall shows only one alert for an application.

The Alert Frequency settings refer only to connection attempts by applications or from IP addresses that you have not (yet) decided to trust. For example, you could specify a very high alert frequency level, but not receive any alerts at all if you have chosen to trust the application that is making the connection attempt.

The above is from the help file but the help file isn’t always entirely accurate and sometimes doesn’t mention everything regarding the option. For example here it doesn’t mention that the Alert Frequency Level also defines what rules will be created, for example if it’s set to “Very Low” then you’ll see a normal alert and clicking “Allow” will allow incoming and outgoing traffic from and to anyone using any protocol.

From your screenshot I would assume you have it set to “Low” which I believe is the default, basically this means that if the alert mentions inbound connections then clicking allow will allow ALL inbound connections and if the alert mentions outbound connections then it will allow ALL outbound connections, to change this behavior you have to change the Alert Frequency Level to something you are comfortable with, personally I’m using Very High.

Thank you so much, I tried and it solved my problem. Actually I had my “Set alert frequency level” unchecked, assuming that this wouldn’t impose any “limitation” on the alerts. I was right; leaving that option unchecked wouldn’t impose any limitation, but that’s only because the default setting cannot take any more limitations (it’s already the lowest)! :‌D

I wish somewhere I could see a note about the level that would be applied when “Set alert frequency level” is unchecked.

Thank you again.

Well it says “For the majority of users, the default setting of ‘Low’ is the perfect level” and later says “(Default=Disabled)” so that might mean that disabled = Low? But I’m not certain, that’s just a guess.

Edit: It could also mean that the default was once set at something and then they changed it to be set at something else at default but they only updated one mention of the default hence the other mention is out-dated, of course I’m not sure that is it, just a possibility.

You’re right. I was more talking about putting a little note somewhere inside the software interface. But now that I think of it, this setting shouldn’t have a checkbox as it’s not really optional. There could be a mandatory setting (without checkbox) instead with these selectable options: “Very Low”, “Low (default)”, “Medium”, “High”, “Very High”

I mean one of these options would be applied anyway! Checkbox might just confuse some newbies like me.