My 1st expiriences

Long ago i had to use Win2000 box and connect Win98 box via it.
That time i choosen Tiny (later renamed to Kerio) Personal Firewall 2.x (which is unfortunately not compatible with Win NT 5.1+)
It was (and is) a little, fast and allowing ICS/NAT firewall.
Later i’ve got a hardware router and, being behind NAT, was less subject to network attacks from outside. What about inside - use safe software and one’s own mind and You’re 99% safe from viri.

However some mates started asking me about firewalls and hance i have to look at them.
I’m quite sure they (and me) won’t pay for it, hence i look at free ones.
Some months ago i give a try to Jetico 1.x. It’s interface was terrible, it was impossible to control anything. Perhaps Jetico 2 is better, but i did not wanted to try it again.
I also heard much of instabilities in Agnitum and remembering how i tried to configure v 2.x. - and didn’t wanted it either.

Then it came for Comodo.
Since the only at-place firewall i used much was Kerio 2.x - it is the only thing i can Compare Comodo against. Hence, the text below would be of a kind of general review and comparision with KPF2.

1. rules creation from a popup is a must!
    It is hard to do it so they can be used by more and less experienced guys, but anyhw it is a must!
    Currently Comodo gives me only options “allow all / reject all”

I also think that network rules should be mergeed with application monitor as “any application” rule. Currently it is way antiintuitive and restricting. It is a major draw-back after ages old Kerio 2.x

1.1) temporary rules (next xxx minutes, until reboot, until application quits) would also be greate.

1. Network zones, i think, could be enhanced, allowing deriving zone from current adapter settings (example: home router with DHCP, or small street-wise ISP changing IP block)

2. Application groups
    I’dlike to have “Browsers” group and “E-Mail” group, etc. So all my pre-tweaked settings can be assigned to, say, Opera by including it into Browsers+E-Mail+Chat groups.

3. untested rules. Those are between “no ruled” and “ruled” state.
    If some packet reaches such a rule’s condition, lete there be PopUp, where Comodo would show assumed decision and the list of rules which this packet pased by. Later, when i’d see that packets are really filtered in a way i want them to be - i’d approve the rules into stable tested state.

Personally i’d prefer if firewall GUI could automatically arrange rules into tree-like form, from generic to detailed.
It is obvious that rule “per port/ per IP” should be considered more important than “per IP/ any port”, same about any application/application group/certain .exe
However it is not clear how to choose between “per application / any IP” and “any application/ per IP”
But anyhow simple one-dimensional list soon became unobservable.

1. It appears that after year of using firewall, application list becomes huge, full of deinstaleld apps, or temporary applications like installers. List of known applications becomes unobservable and unmanageable.
    It would be greate, if
    5.1) there was quick-incremental-search box for application - for piece of EXE name and EXE description (perhaps in rules list too)
    5.2) GUI sorted apps list in most recently used order, or just had a filter “[hide/show] applications used more than [xx] days ago”
    5.3) checksum and sizes would be matchable, so Comodo would automagically detect moved/renamed EXE files and inherited the rules. Perhaps EXE filename and description would be meant only to show to user, not to make decisions upon ?
    5.4) Since firewall, i think, remembers paths to known EXEs it could also show them to user in an on-disc like tree.
    5.5) Nested tree? groups, ech of those having a sublist/subtree of applications, shown in alphabetic order/MRU order/ on-disk tree ?

2. when windows crashed, often rules database or known apps databaes been damaged in Kerio.
    I wish that firewall kept it usual database intact and only worked upon copy of database made on startup. If changes were made, during shutdown or after some idle time, that copied and updated database could be flushed and commited to disc, then new copy of it be created for active work and then old database be deleted. That would make damaging main configuration database very unprobable in case of crash.

3. updater is poor in several areas.
    7.1) it is to be resumable
    7.2) it is to allow integration with 3rd-party download manager, at least via “copy list of URLs to download” way
    7.3) i’d have a way to copy downloaded updates onto another PC.

For example, i used Comodo on two boxes.
Win2k3 box with cheap internet.
And WinXP with expensive internet.
On the 1st i installed some two-months old beta. Then it upgraded. I copied the downloaded files and tried moving it to the second box, were i have last russian installation just installed - and it wanted to upgrade to. However, insteed of taking thos bit-by-bit identical files, Comodo tried to drop the maway and redownloaded more than 10Mb via expensive internet channel!

BTW after that, Comodo on the 2nd box blocked some programs from showing icons in the tray! namely Jajc and windows built-in “removable device” icon. I had to re-install Comodo. Now tray icons seems to work again.

1. Comodo by default blocks fragmented IP’s (why???) and shows no pop-up when such a packet is trying to pass by.
    It effectively disconntected mstsc.exe (Remote desktop client) from mane servers!
    And that is when every rule shown that everything is enabled for it!!!
    Why don’t Comodo ask me if i want or don’t want those fragmented packets ? Let me decide on the go, just like i do for applications.

2. and let there be some debug mode.
    Let me enter application and/or server and/or port and let then Comodo collects such a packets and then show me which rules been touched by those packets and which decisions been made.
    I played shaman dances trying to figure out why some servers do work with MSTSC and other don’t ! domain policy ? rounting ? what ???
    It could be much more intuitive if i could just put spy onto MSTSC.EXE and Comodo would tell me frankly, that it blocked MSTSC because аща it used fragmented IP packets.

Currently Comodo leave and appearance of something beautiful and perhaps sofiscticated and powerfull - but uncontrollable. It gives little help to set it up and to understand what is happenning with thhose settings. :frowning:

PS: and look at that message i’ve got from forum! Makes me remember that “recursion definition” at Reddit :slight_smile:
“Welcome to Welcome to the Comodo Forum”

PPS: troubles in localisations into Russian. All sizes | Comodo firewall, localisations | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Really nice suggestion there! Remember to put them in the wishlist-thread, if you haven’t done that already

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4612.0.html

(V)

Thanks for Your kindness.

Persnally i think it is Wishlist mainteiner who has the power to decide what to include and what to not - it is to be a list, not the garbage daump.

To track all and every idea - it is more reasonable thing to either open sub-forum “wishlist” like Opera did, or to open any Issue Tracker (such as Trac, Mantis, Bugzilla and a lot of others) where wishes could be categorised by different means: important or not, hard or easy, near future or “next major version” or “never or very far away”, which part fo firewall, implemented or not yet… etc.

Wishlist is to be selected and purified and ordered by someone. Otherwise it is just dump and not the wishlist.

PS: i had to deinstall both instances of Comodo.
On one box it trashed Opera - https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6582.0.html
Stopping application, servces and device drivers did not helped. Guess it also hooked into WinSock layers and Known DLLs :frowning:
Opera, i think when loaded forum in its mailer, got eating above 250 Mb of memory and… and nothing.
After Comodo removed, it ate about 100-170 MB (and it was not just growing, sometimes it released memeory) and ~7 minutes later reindexed mail and was ready to go.

On another even after clean reinstall it hides some icons in tray - including Windows icon for removable devices! Since i use USB flash drives, i surrendered and deinstalled Comodo there.

Sorry.