MSN Messenger problems [Resolved]

My MSN has always worked fine with Comodo, until 2 days ago.

Then for some reason Comodo has started blocking MSN, despite being set to allow it. I have tried everything i can think of, including removing MSN from Comodo, and starting from scratch with it, but nothing seems to be working.

If i switch Comodo off, MSN works fine.

Help please!

Hi DonutUK,

Do this: Open up CPF, go to Activity->Logs, then right-click and clear all logs.
Now try to sign in on MSN(close browser and everything else that’s using Internet), and then go to logs again, right-click and choose ‘Export HTML’, then save it somewhere, and post it here. Sounds weird that it just starts to block MSN for no reason.

Ragwing

COMODO Firewall Pro Logs

Date Created: 13:45:46 15-07-2007

Log Scope:: Today

Date/Time :2007-07-15 13:45:19
Severity :Medium
Reporter :Application Monitor
Description: Application Access Denied (msnmsgr.exe:192.168.1.254:  :dns(53))
Application: C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
Parent: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Protocol: UDP Out
Destination: 192.168.1.254::dns(53)

Date/Time :2007-07-15 13:45:14
Severity :Medium
Reporter :Application Monitor
Description: Application Access Denied (msnmsgr.exe:192.168.1.254:  :dns(53))
Application: C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
Parent: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Protocol: UDP Out
Destination: 192.168.1.254::dns(53)

End of The Report

According to the log, there’s an Application Monitor rule blocking msnmsgr.exe and/or its parent explorer.exe. Both are legit files. You’ll have to remove such rule(s) and restart the MSN. Failing that, a reboot may prove necessary. The fact that disabling CFP allows MSN through means it’s a problem with rules.

If the above still fails, then a clean reinstallation of CFP is the way to go:
https://forums.comodo.com/help/important_please_read_before_posting-t9388.0.html;msg75777#msg75777

That seems to have done the trick.

You’re welcome. Would you please give us some hints as to which solution worked for you? :smiley:

Removed the rules for MSN and restarted MSN. Worked fine!

I had previously removed the rules, but did not close down MSN and restart it…just tried to log in again!

Neat. :slight_smile:

PM a mod if you need to open this thread.