Mozilla Thunderbird email[Resolved]

Has anyone experienced send mail problems with Thunderbird after installing CPF ? I can receive mail but not send ! It keeps asking me for my password… it accepts my password for receiving mail but not for sending. Windows XPSP2 home current, Antivir personal edition classic free, CPF.

Hi,

If the mail server is asking for a password then it sounds like Thunderbird
is talking to the mail server.
Which means it must be getting through the firewall.

Sounds like the problem might be outside of the firewall.

Garry Bickerton
Head of Global Support and Customer Care Manager

Please have a look at the FAQ at
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,659.0.html

I implemented the skip advance security check but it didn’t solve the problem. This weekend I plan to set up the open to pass all and see if will function. Why would it accept my password to receive mail but would not accept it for sending mail. It just keeps prompting me for my password like the server never receives it.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES…

This weekend I set CPF to allow all, skip invisibility check, skip parent check, set up trusted zone, etc. but I still cannot send mail as it keeps prompting me for my password. Receive mail fine no problem. What control does CPF have on port 25 as this is my send email port ? System notes: WINXP SP2 current, AVIRA personal edition classic antivirus, Mozilla Thunderbird email client. This problem originated after installing CPF. What am I missing ?

Thanks, Challenger

In reponse to your answer, the problem is the firewall. I installed your forewall on my system. AMD Atlon 2500 1GB RAM running Windows 2000 ( all service packs and patches current). The ysytem immediately began to experience problems booting and logging on to the ISP mail servers I use. In addition, the start up slowed by approximately 200 - 250% and would generally “hang up” on the first start of every calander day> Uninstalling your forewall and anti virus alleviated these problems. I would suggest that you need a major inspection and review of your code with psrticular attention paid to stability and compatibility.

For your further information, I browse with firefox and use thunderbird for my e-mail client.

Your truly,

tj LOfeld MCSE, CNE, A+, Linux +, Network +

[color=Orange]Has anyone experienced send mail problems with Thunderbird after installing CPF ? I can receive mail but not send ! It keeps asking me for my password… it accepts my password for receiving mail but not for sending. Windows XPSP2 home current, Antivir personal edition classic free, CPF.

UPDATE ! THIS WAS NOT A CPF PROBLEM… IT WAS A THUNDERBIRD PROBLEM AND I RESOLVED IT.

SORRY FOR THE FALSE ALARM. THANKS FOR EVERYONE’S HELP. THANKS FOR A GREAT FIREWALL.

Challenger

Hi Guys
I had the same problem when I had both CAV and CPF installed and I was using Outlook 2003. I uninstalled CAV and everything went well. I don’t think it is CPF which by the way I think is the best FW on the market. If you are running CAV perhaps try disabling it and send yourself an email. I know this is a bit dangerous but it might give some answers. If that doesn’t work try unstalling CAV and see what happens then.
shadha

What did you find was the problem and fix with Thunderbird? I have a different problem with Thunderbird that I suspect is an interaction of more than one thing. The symptom that leapt out is when CPF is on, I can send small emails but large emails fail. When CPF is off, Thunderbird sends everything normally. I would appreciate learning anything about the interaction of Thunderbird and CPF. Thanks, and glad to hear you solved your problem.
Holliday

I’m having the same problem (albeit without the password request). I receive email fine, but if I have CPF running and try to send an email through Thunderbird, it just hangs and never completes (it shows the “Send” window and just runs and runs). If I exit CPF OR Adjust Security Level to “Allow All” my email is sent as normal. I’ve tested it by turning off my virus scanner, so it’s not a conflict with that (Avast Free Version) and I’ve gone into CPF and adjusted the Thunderbird settings to “Skip Advanced Security Settings.”
How can I fix this? I figure there is something simple I’m not doing - I’m a newbie to CPF and I really want to use it, but it’s quite annoying to have to turn off the firewall anytime I have to send an email.
On a similar note, I’m having a similar problem with certain websites in Firefox (MySpace.com, an online classroom site I teach in)…I figure it’s another security measures thing for sites I need to log in to, and my work-around is the same (either turn off CPF or set Security Level to “Allow All”). Any thoughts? Is the answer the same as the Thunderbird problem?
Thanks for your help!

Instead of skipping advanced security checks on thunderbird, please try to skip advanced checks on Avast! email scanner module. I dont remember the name of that file but it should work.

Egemen

Thanks egemen - your tip worked.

For others with the same problem, you need to update your avast4.ini file (found in the Program Files folder under the C: drive). I updated mine so the SMTP port matched my new one (I had to change it when switching ISPs recently) and also delted the “1” setting next to “Ignore Local Host” thus making it blank. Worked like a charm.

Thanks again!

Well, I meant to reply to this a while ago, but I must have tested my outgoing email incorrectly after making those adjustments to the Avast4.ini file (and I DEFINITELY spoke too soon), since I’m still having the same problem. Part of the problem is that Avast 4 doesn’t come with an email applet that allows me to adjust settings. Any thoughts or suggestions on next steps?
Thanks in advance!