Mozilla Applications - How to?

Just started playing around with this, but I’m a bit stuck.

First, why can I only use IE to obtain the certificate?
How do I get the certificate into thunderbird and firefox. Do I have to export from IE the reimport into both?
In the appendix it states:

(There are no 64 bit versions of Outlook/Thunderbird.)

This is incorrect:

http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Thunderbird:Download

In Firefox - Click on Options >>> Advanced >>> Encryption >>> Vew Certificates and you can import them there. Installation of certificates is by default installed into IE but once installed appears in all applications including outlook etc…

hope this helps

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. I’ve been playing around with this for several hours now but I still can’t get it to work in Thunderbird and I refuse to use OE or Outlook.

Basically after much trial and error I managed to export the certificate, that took several attempts to get the right export settings. I have it successfully installed in TB but it either sends the message in clear text or requests a cert for for the recipient.

Essentially It’s looking for the recipients public key to provide encryption, which of course I don’t have.

That’s as far as I’ve got…

I’m personally not a Thunderbird user though I’m trying to convert myself from Outlook 2003.

You might want to look at the certificate installation instructions for Thunderbird found here: Email Certificates Installation for Mozilla Thunderbird | Comodo

Eric

Thanks for the pointer, unfortunately something’s missing. I managed to get that far yesterday, but whenever I try and send I get the dialogue below:

All I’m doing here is sending from one email account to another. In this case the recipient is asuaitis, but as you can see, tb is looking for and not finding, what I assume is the public key for ausaitis, which makes sense.

In a normal PKI transaction such as this, the recipients public key is used to encrypt and their own private key is used to decrypt. For signing purposes, my private key is used and the verification is performed by the recipient using my public key.

From the post comodo_shane made:

- 1) If A already has B's digital certificate. In this case CSE simply uses S/MIME encryption and PKI above.

This is standard stuff and is pretty much what thunderbird is expecting to do, hence it’s looking for the certificate for ausaitis.

- 1) If A already has B's digital certificate. If A doesn't already have B's certificate, CSE has a few options for B to read this mail, all determined by A using our patent pending single user certificate system and our server. A sends the e-mail using this system, setting which options from the list below B can use to read it.

i) B must install CSE to read the mail. This is our recommend method and is fully secure.

I haven’t installed a certificate for the recipient.

ii) B can forward the mail to our web reader, and read the mail by supplying a password which A agreed with B in advance, e.g. by telephone or letter. Not as secure as i)

iii) B can forward the mail to our web reader but does not need to supply a password. Not as secure as ii)

Trouble is, I can’t even send the email. For me at least, this it that part that’s missing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This is from the Mozillzine knowledge base

To send encrypted messages to other people, you must have their SMIME encryption certificate (.cer) in the "Other People's" tab of your Certificate Manager. Thunderbird automatically adds other people's SMIME certificates to that tab when you receive form them a digitally signed message with a valid signature and with an SMIME certificate issued by a recognized and trusted Certificate Authority (CA). CA certificates that appear in ThunderBird's "Authorities" tab are recognized, and may also be trusted. CA certificates that do not appear in that tab are considered "unrecognized".

So, now I’m stuck. This implies, as I said yesterday, that I need the recipients certificate (public key) to be able to send email.

What level security have you set cse to?

It’s on the default setting, which is Medium.

Edit:

I played around with the security slider, unfortunately it makes no difference using any of the settings where encryption may be enabled.

Well I finally gave up, I’ve tried everything I can think of at I still come back to the same place. I think I’m inclined to report this as a bug…

Thanks for all your help Eric, much appreciated.