Moving ...\Repair and ...\Scanners to extend SSD life.

I had no problem doing this with a reparse point (junction folder) to the …\Repair folder so that multiple re-writes of a 200+ MB Bases.cav no longer increased the size of a partition C:\ image incremental backup file.

Now I have an SSD I am tempted to do the same with …\scanners
at the moment I only update the signatures once a week to minimize writing to the SSD.

QUESTIONS :-

Would the slower performance of an HDD degrade A.V. operation,
or is Bases.cav etc loaded into RAM so it is always faster than the fastest SSD anyway.

Would such relocation damage the ability of Comodo to protects its files.

Regards
Alan

Are you sure you want to go this route?
Isn’t this theoretical SSD lifesaving? how long have you ever used the same Platter disk and shouldn’t an SSD last at least longer then that?

Just asking, not trying to criticize things here.

Yes. This life saving is purely theoretical.
BUT the life prediction of 8 years 4 months 7 days from SSDLife Free version 2.2.42 is also theoretical.

40 years ago my company used valves and also transistors in its products,
and insisted upon detailed M.T.B.F. calculations based upon military standards,
and all completed products were continuously powered for 7 days and tested to specification on each of 5 days, and performance had to be stable.
Infant mortality was expected at our factory - not after delivery to the customer.

This year my son had a new OCZ 60 GB SSD which died in his computer.
Whilst waiting for the warrant-tee replacement process and shipment to complete he bought another one.
His brand new replacement (not a refurbish) became his gift to me.

My SSD is as good as all the OCZ products.
But still I worry :frowning:

Regards
Alan

There is only one solution, find a nice backup tool that does it’s job :wink:

I am more than happy with Macrium Reflect to backup partition images.

That however will not resurrect a burnt out SSD :cry:

If the SSD fails I fear the BIOS may fail to use the original C:\ on the Primary HDD,
and I will be floundering in the dark with no access to Google until I fix the BIOS.

Regards
Alan

That’s the primary reason I stopped making ‘images’.

I only backup my data now if the disk dies I start with a fresh install.
Also try to run as much as possible on portable versions of apps as they don’t need installation.

I have 3 reasons for making images :-

1. In case a Patch Tuesday of Out Of Band Security Update does more damage than any malware ;
  2. In case I choose to run a risk and install an application to evaluate it ;
  3. In case Comodo lets me down and I suffer a malware breakthrough.

I am pleased to say that Comodo has never let me down.

I rarely install an application but look for a portable variant

Microsoft updates is where Macrium Reflect really pays for itself.
I reckon that half the time I have to restore the image made before I permitted the update.

Regards
Alan

Get a spare hard drive and clone your main drive to it. This will give you a complete copy and if your main drive dies, you’ll have a spare that you can use and then clone back to your replacement drive when it arrives.

I have HDD tray compartments that slide out of my case. They are inserted into the 5 inch bays. It takes me about two minutes to swap drives. These are real handy. I really don’t worry too much about getting infected if CIS were to fail. All I have to do is clone my backup spare drive (which only takes 13 minutes) to my main drive (overwriting everything) and I’m back up and running as if nothing ever happened.

I already have an MBR bootable 1 TB HDD with an old Windows 7 Ultimate partition, and with over 900 GB Unallocated space.

My potential problem is that I sat in stunned silence as my son added the new SSD to my system,
and rapidly breezed through various BIOS settings, making several different attempts, before he could install Windows on the SSD. My son works in I.T. and supports many users. I have no such experience and trying to change the BIOS to undo SSD will take me some time.

Regards
Alan

I understand. I don’t know anything about these new SS drives, although, I have read that people complain about programs “thrashing” their drives (whatever that means). You would think that a SSD would be pretty bulletproof.