Moving from ZA free to Comodo 3? [RESOLVED]

Hi. I searched the forum but could not find an answer to my questions.

I am a very longtime user of ZoneAlarm free (over a decade) but have been hearing so much about Comodo that I wish to try it. However, over the years I have learned how to be very familiar with using ZA free and obviously am worried about switching to a “new” firewall. Am particularly intrigued about the reports that Comodo might slow down my bootup and resume times less than ZA definitely does.

1. I am using Windows XP SP3. What is the best way to transition? Obviously it is not a good idea to have 2 firewalls working simultaneously. Is disabling ZA while I try Comodo 3 good enough or do I need to actually uninstall ZA before installing Comodo?

2. I also use Avast 4.8 antivirus. Would that conflict with Comodo?

3. Anything else I should know before trying Comodo?

Thank you.

Welcome, comuser.

1. You have to uninstall the existing firewall before you can install another one. CFP 3 is no exception. Disabling isn’t the same as uninstalling because the software drivers can still load and conflict. I don’t know the best, but the safest transition would be to create a backup like a System Restore point ahead.

2. I haven’t seen any reports of Avast conflicts with CFP3 lately.

3. Maybe. I recommend this stupendous ;D thread: FAQ Threads

There is an extensive clean up procedure also for ZA. Avast and Comodo get along just fine.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103

Thank you both.

Closed :P0l