Modified date being affected when copying EXEs (and a few other file types)

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
I reproduced it on a separate computer in a virtual Windows 7 clean install. On the first machine, it took a minute or two after booting up before beginning.

If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
1: Install cfw_installer_6123_7f.exe (it seems to begin whether you reboot or not, it just takes a minute or two to begin).
2: Copy and paste any EXE file to any location - e.g. notepad.exe to another folder.
3: Check the modified date in the file properties - it will be set to the current time instead of the original value.
(The same also applies to .bat, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .dll, .js, .sys)

One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
After allowing the already installed firewall to update itself, I was performing a backup and noticed an issue with the timestamps for the above file types (EXEs, etc) being changed - I then noticed the same was happening in Windows with a normal copy and paste.

One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
Instead of the files keeping the original modification time, they are set to the time they are copied, so they appear to be new files - a big problem for backup software.

If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:

Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:

Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:
Uninstalling and going back to cfw_installer_6106_53.exe fixed the problem.

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
Problem version: cfw_installer_6123_7f.exe
Working version: cfw_installer_6106_53.exe

Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
I repeated the problem without changing any default settings for the installation (or in the program). I answered “home” when it prompted me about the detected network.

Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
No.
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5 or CIS6?:
No.
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
?
Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
No.
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:
?

OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bit. UAC disabled. Admin account. 2 machines: Laptop & VirtualBox running on another laptop.

Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
Reproduced with a clean install of Windows in VirtualBox.

[center][u]

What version of CIS are you using when reproducing this problem?

Help > About > Comodo Firewall 8.0.0.4344

(From installing “cfw_installer_6123_7f.exe” for testing.)

It’s strange that it doesn’t occur on every single copy and paste - sometimes the date is still okay. If pasting two EXE files, one might have the correct date while another may be incorrect, seemingly randomly.

It looks like you might be experiencing symptoms of the ADS problem discussed here: https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-cis/cisces-8-adds-ads-to-files-which-remain-present-if-files-distributed-m1367-t108102.0.html. The file cfw_installer_6106_53.exe is version 7.0.317799.4142 while cfw_installer_6123_7f.exe is version 8.0.0.4344 which is affected. The user Phillip Cooper specifically mentions the altered timestamps here: https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-cis/cisces-8-adds-ads-to-files-which-remain-present-if-files-distributed-m1367-t108102.0.html;msg787637#msg787637. rChaz goes into more detail regarding the modified timestamps a little further down the page.

Thanks for the links enfa20, that looks like exactly the problem I was having. I’m disheartened that this issue hasn’t been fixed in over a month. I knew there was a reason why I usually turn off automatic updates in all programs these days: the chance of things breaking is more important than fixes/improvements. The extra features/security were not worth my wasted hours trying to deal with the problem.

Since this seems to be the same bug already reported (M1367) im going to moved this to resolved/outdated.

Thanks evlevl and enfa20.