Modem NAT question

I was just wondering if it would be ok (safe) to turn off my NAT on my internet modem. I have NAT on my router and to make things easier for me i was thinking about turning of my NAT on the modem and DMZ my router because its really annoying to have to port forward through my router and modem.

thanks

Hi, will you clarify a little bit. You’re saying that your modem is also a router. If so you should have the modem set to bridged mode.

no i have a router connected to my modem. My modem has a NAT and a firewall. My router also has a NAT and a firewall

Hi, what is the modems brand name and model?

I still believe the modem needs to be in bridged mode Double NAT does not work correctly.Did you read the link I posted eariler? Hope this helps.

DMZ would be the simplest, and you wouldn’t need to disable NAT on your modem’s router. All incoming traffic will just bypass the first NAT layer (your modem’s router) and go directly to your router and be intercepted by its NAT.

You are still technically in a double NAT situation, (your router is still being served a private IP address from your modems router, which can cause network confusion) but you will not need to forward ports through both devices. If you haven’t yet experienced any issues (devices complaining of double NAT) this option may work fine for you.

If your modem supports transparent bridged mode, this is fairly simple to setup because your modem will still deal with PPoE authentication, but will forward the external IP address supplied by your ISP to your router instead of a private IP as with NAT. With standard bridged mode, you’ll need to set up PPoE in your router, and you may need to call your ISP for all of the required details. Some modems call bridged mode ‘transparent mode’, when it isn’t actually transparent bridging, and is instead, standard bridging. You’ll know if this is the case if you need to set up PPoE on your router in order to connect to the internet.

Also, depending on your modem, setting to bridged mode may require a direct connection between your computer and modem to make any further configuration changes.

Thanks for the answers. Since DMZ would bypass the NAT thats all i need.

thanks