missing boc4upd.exe

when i choose check for update i get the missing boc4upd.exe
can anybody help?

Easiest thing to do would be uninstall and then reinstall BOClean. If this is not possible for some reason then just post back and we will say what we can do :slight_smile:

Hi wwoody, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Goose18 is right :slight_smile:

The BOC4UPD.EXE file shoud be in the CBOClean Program Files map ( C:\Program Files\Comodo\CBOClean\BOC4UPD.EXE ). If it is not there, it could be that something went wrong during installation. Best thing is to uninstall and install it again as follow :

• Download a fresh copy of BOClean from here :

http://download.comodo.com/boc/download/CBO_Setup_4.27.exe

• Shut down BOClean from its menu, or open the Task Manager ( press Ctrl-Alt-Del ) and shut down the BOCore.exe process.

• Install BOClean following the instructions for your Operating System from here :

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boclean_antimalware_faq/download_link_installuninstall_instructions_user_guide-t8442.0.html

• Reboot.

Let us know if that helps you :slight_smile: If not, we will try something different :wink:

Greetz, Red.

Greetings! How about an answer from the author hisself? :slight_smile:

One thing that really helps in any technical question is knowing what version of Windows you’re using, if later than Win2000 whether the problem occurs on the admin or limited user account, and if more info is required, a list of other “security programs” which might contribute to the oddnesses. Reason for the last bit is that most “security programmes” these days HOOK the kernel, some intelligently, others not so … helps to get a better picture of the environment. Don’t need to know the amount of memory or CPU stuff unless it gets REALLY weird. Heh.

So MY question (mainly more for other people’s awareness) is whether or not VISTA is what you’re running. If so, it can do some strange things. When you click on “Check for update” BOClean will call “CreateProcess” to make that call in order for BOClean 4.xx to maintain a working feature across all versions of Windows. Vista though doesn’t LIKE this call, and as a result since Vista, BOClean has been designed to DETECT if it’s running on Vista and provide a “Vista-happy” method to call for an update internally rather than calling the EXTERNAL BOC4UPD.exe program to do “automatic updates.” Works NICELY under Vista but especially under a limited account (and even ADMIN is limited sometimes) then you’ll get that error even though we TRY to invoke the UAC dialog requiring a password to continue. MY guess (if you’re running Vista) is that somehow that UAC message isn’t appearing and Vista is telling BOClean “can’t get update” … that would result in BOClean complaining about BOC4UPD not existing because normally, that’s the only way that could happen. But Vista at times “ain’t normal.” (grin)

The error message though, if the file exists and I bet it does, is the result of BOClean calling it, getting an “OK, I’m starting it” from windows and then a VISTA error of “file not found” instead of “access denied” … seen that before. In “automatic update” mode, we don’t tickle that tiger at all under Vista and call the function within BOClean itself. On XP however, the XP kernel has a memory leak when calling WININET functions, so we had to opt for calling that even under automatic updates because I was being tired of being blamed for Microsoft’s memory leak. But when you click the button for “Check for updates” BOClean actually calls the BOC4UPD to do it regardless of the OS …

So … suggest this … go look in \Program files\Comodo\CBoclean folder and see if you can find BOC4UPD.exe hanging out in there. If so, create a shortcut, then drag that shortcut to your desktop somewhere. Try it from there. Bet it works, and likely also complains about needing a supervisor to hold its hand too. Right-click and “Run As” will ask for a password and it WILL work regardless … ugly answer I’m sure, but BOClean has to support ALL versions of Windows in the 4.xx version. A future 5.xx version will not carry that baggage any longer and will be more pliable. :slight_smile:

This doesn’t happen very often, but like I said, we’ve seen this before. It’s a question of security software and/or security settings, and I’ll just BET you’re running Vista …