Microsoft SilverLight

For Virtual Kiosk SilverLight is needed for tablet mode. So I installed silverlight through CIS i.e VK install.

In the control panel of silverlight automatic update is disabled. Should I enable it or windows updates also updates silverlight?

You have enabled/disabled it?

AFAIK, Silverlight updates are listed on Windows Update once they are released.

But if I remember correctly they are listed under optional updates.

So once if you install silverlight are the updates then listed under important/recommended updates?

I figure when it is a security update it will be listed under important updates. Other type of update for SL may be under recommended.

I guess you guys too have installed silverlight with CIS.

In SL control panel what you guys have done, enabled/disabled autoupdates?

Greetings!

1st of all - Happy New Year to everybody!!! ( I was away from civilization 4 a long time :slight_smile: )

Now , re: security updates - yes those must come “auto”
At the same time I am not sure about “optional updates” mentioned by Eric
I’ve never seen those neither on XP nor on Win 7 x64 88). Have you, Eric?

I am not running latest CIS, but I think … if CIS v6 rely on use of SL it should should take care off that … if not - bad luck

Anyway, at the moment I am using this link in order to check for current version
https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

Where do you have this “SL control panel”?

Cheers!

I installed SL with CIS & have SL in Start - All Programs. When clicked you get options/settings.

What system are you talking about in the first place ?

I’ve updated SL recently on XP … current version is 5.1.10411.0
I do not have it in “Start - All Programs” … neither I have its “control panel” ???

I’ll check in Win 7 later

*** added *** but again as above - if that is CIS creating a startup entry/control panel - that is the responsibility of CIS and the user’s choice

I personally never use “auto-updates” for anything ever except my Security Software
Even for MS security tampons-patches - Notification only!
Well, despite MS have “auto” as a choice - you can find their own article basically discouraging users from doing that for a good/correct reason(s)

Win 7 64

If I remember correctly, on Win 7 64 SilverLight was listed under optional updates so I didn’t installed it.

With CIS for VK Tablet Mode I allowed SilverLight installation.

Now there is SilverLight in Start - All Programs. When clicked you get options/settings. Autoupdate is disabled by default.

I have it set to check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them or not.

Happy New Year to you too.

Now , re: security updates - yes those must come "auto" At the same time I am not sure about "optional updates" mentioned by Eric I've never seen those neither on XP nor on Win 7 x64 88). Have you, Eric?
When using Microsoft Update in XP, instead of Windows Update, Silverlight will be updated by Microsoft Update. With Vista and later you can also choose to have the Windows updater update Microsoft products. I have every Windows installation I have set to get updates for all Microsoft problems.
I am not running latest CIS, but I think ... if CIS v6 rely on use of SL it should should take care off that ... if not - bad luck
Silverlight is needed when running Kiosk in tablet mode. It is not needed for other functionality.

Apparently you have your Windows set to also check for updates for Microsoft programs. You will get SL updates now like you get Windows updates. I don’t know if the settings in the SL control panel still play a role. I would think not but I must say I never looked at the SL control panel update settings.

Win 7 64

Yes Microsoft Updates is also enabled.

Nowadays sometimes when I start VK I get SL control panel window asking about autoupdates.

I selected never check for updates coz I too think windows/microsoft updates too will update/upgrade SL.

I checked the SL settings on the Win 8 that I am currently using. I did not touch the settings afer installing SL. With me it is set according to my Microsoft/Windows updater: “Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”.

May be set it according to your settings for Microsoft/Windows Updater?

OK, I enabled the autoupdates.

My windows/microsoft updates too is download & install automatically.