"Microsoft: Please Avoid Security Update KB2823324"

So far,so good. I had uninstalled the first one just to be safe.

Messages like this topic title and a few more other things are the reasons I never update Windows, no matter what. Because ever since Windows exists it’s well known that updates to Windows turn it into Wingowks and it runs like Crysis 3 on a Pentium II computer. It was like that with Windows 95, it was like that with XP and it still is - with Windows 7.

When using your logic you should never update for virus scanner as, like with Windows updates, very incidentally an update may go haywire. :wink:

I’m sorry but I have to say that is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Well known? How come I have never heard that before or ever experienced any problem due to a Windows update? I have experienced Windows running faster and smoother after an update however. A case in point was updating XP from SP2 to SP3 where there was a very noticeable improvement in performance. I have never experienced the mythical “Windows rot” phenomenon either. I have never had to do a reformat and new Windows installation with any version starting with 98SE. By never updating Windows, you are exposing yourself and others in the global community to possible infection and that is just irresponsible.

This latest update only caused problems for a very small number of users but to their credit, Microsoft reacted quickly and recommended removal of the original update just to be safe. I did so and it was the first time in my 14 years of using Windows that I rolled back an OS update.

Exactly with XP from SP2 to SP3 was the worst “improvement”. Back when I had XP SP2 I had to update it to SP3 because of Race Driver GRID and a few other games. After the required restart it began to work slower, it took 'bout 5 minutes to open Notepad or Calculator. The improvement you’re talking about I felt when I bought a bootable CD with XP SP3. Later it was the same with Windows 7 - I had to get a DVD containing SP1 in order to have it working properly because updates made my cutting-edge computer to run like a 20 years old machine.

The big majority of users upgrade to a new service pack without much of a problem so I don’t like to extend your advice to the greater audience. There could be peculiarities in your set ups; nLited, customisations using third party tools…etc that make your system an unfortunate exception.

In general it is not advisable not to update Windows and programs for the security risks they pose and I strongly advice against it.

I have been using XP, Vista, 7 and now 8 and never hard serious problems like you’re describing. I have them all installed on three hard drives.