Microsoft Patents Proactive Virus Protection

www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/microsoft_paten.html

Posted by Alexander Wolfe, May 21, 2008 09:59 AM

Microsoft has just snared a U.S. patent for proactive virus protection, which is how security software helps secure your PC when it encounters shape-shifting malware not already in its antivirus definition file. What I want to know is, what does this mean for all the other vendors – like McAfee, Symantec, Kaspersky, and Trend Micro – that have been selling proactive protection software for years? Do they now have to pay Microsoft protection; I mean, royalties?
[…]

Microsoft… What is going through there minds I DON’T KNOW! 88)

Josh

What the hell is this going to do to us all? All of us Windows users.

We, as windows users, know ■■■■ well that our operating systems are so fking vulnerable to viruses and malware, so we go and install all these NECESSARY 3rd party applications, which protect us and make our OS’s a little more secure.

If MS would have been able to protect us from all this malware from the beginning, then sure, patent it up.

WHY IN THE FKING HELL DOES MS THINK THEY CAN PATENT MALWARE PROTECTION WHEN THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO PROTECT US AT ALL?

They are so fking full of themselves. So fking greedy.

This patent might be challengable if other software providers can provide evidence that they used similar techniques before this patent was issued. Microsoft loves grabbing up patents whenever and wherever it can. I think they even tried to patent the scroll bar at one point. MS patenting is pretty much a “no big deal” thing. :stuck_out_tongue: I hope someone does challenge this patent. For one, it’s something that have been used before and it’s something that will be used in the future by all. Also, any patent patent that MS holds will not be royaltied out Linux. They may grant royalties to other people if their product is only for Windows. Now, if Comodo held a patent, I know they would sell royalties to makers that did things for Linux since Comodo use to have Linux software and they are not against the whole GNU community like MS is. I guess what I am trying to say is that MS are the baddies and groups like Comodo are the good guys. (:KWL)

I support the ideas and philosophies of Comodo as much as I can. I even tell others about Comodo software. Some have never heard of Comodo before I mentioned it. Then I point them to the Firewall testing sites and show them how high Comodo ranks just to give them an idea about the protection, but I also tell them about my personal experience and how fast it is compared to others – some really slow the system so much that I just rather go without than having it. :stuck_out_tongue: Some just irritate me to no end like Zone Alarm. Comodo is perfect for me and I hope this patent doesn’t affect their ability to release qualty products without being slapped with a patent infringement suite.

My opinion.

EDIT: LirVa seems … upset. :stuck_out_tongue: Calm down now. :slight_smile: gives cookie Cookies make everything better.

What I want to know is: Why is Microsoft patenting hence creating a barrier for other companies to Secure “Their” Operating system?

Melih

“EDIT: LirVa seems … upset. Tongue Calm down now. Smiley gives cookie Cookies make everything better.”

lol not web tracking cookies.

"What I want to know is: Why is Microsoft patenting hence creating a barrier for other companies to Secure “Their” Operating system?

Melih"

yeah, no kidding. It’s almost like MS doesn’t really care about their users security. If this patent really changes a lot of things, and reduces the amount of things security vendors can do, we are ■■■■■■■, because MS has never, ever, EVER, been able to adequately protect their OS’s.