@Melih: Good firewall, but agravating bug.

I like the firewall, it does the job well, in most instances.

However, there is a bug that, in my opinion, renders it somewhat useless.

Many apps use an ‘ole’ method to call home via the web browser, at which point comodo pops up a security warning, asking whether to block or not, and of course whether to remember the answer.

So far so good, that’s what you want it to do.
Click block, naturally.

However…and here’s the bug…what comodo actually does is not stop the app from hijacking the browser…it stops the browser from accessing the net.

One doesn’t need a degree in common sense-ology to realize that this is bass-ackward.

And please, I beg you, don’t try to sell this as a feature… 88)

The problem is, Rickkins, is that the “hijacking” app is not connecting by itself; it’s communicating with the browser, which is connecting. If you don’t block the browser (for that session) you’re not blocking the communication attempt, because it’s already been accomplished. These can also be set to activate at a future time, so the “hijacking” app is not even running. Block it? Fine. You can block it 'til the cows come home, but the communication will still have been established.

All this is viewed in light of malware; not legit applications communicating with one another. If it’s legit, Allow and Remember and you’re set. An OLE alert does not mean that the “hijacking” app is connecting to the net; only that it has communicated with an application that is connected. If it’s not legit, Block and be glad that the connection is terminated. Then find out why 283;asdfjl;asd8d.exe has OLE’d your browser…

I won’t try to tell you this is a “feature” - I’ll let the developers handle that. A “bug” being an unintended result of a programming error, this is not a bug. It is very specifically behaving exactly as it was programmed to do, for a specific security purpose (ooh, I almost used “feature” there). Believe me, I was one of the users that argued for a change in the way it operated. Comodo responded by making some significant changes to the process to quiet it down (it used to trigger all the time) - heck if you don’t like it now, you would’ve hated it in 2.3! :smiley: But it has always blocked the “hijacked” application because that is what it is supposed to do.

LM

Well actually it really is a feature, because that is what it was ment to do, just like Little Mac (LM!) said.