Me and CIS have split.

I think I was happy with CIS before I reinstalled and accidentally downloaded the “new and improved” version.

Things I don’t get about CIS:
— The new version seems much less functional than the previous version (for instance, can’t sort connection list by CPU usage, or by anything, for that matter.)
— Doesn’t ask me what I want the settings to be on anything. I do recall my first install of CIS it went through this big procedure of what do I want to block and allow, incoming and outgoing. Now I have a continual serious problem of many outgoing connections happeng at once to Firefox and using up all my memory (well, way past 50% of it, and this DID NOT happen before I got the new version, at least if it did it was SELDOM not CONSTANTLY.)

I had to give it up. Firefox completely froze on me and was using up like 1,200 megabites of memory or whatever. All I was doing was pasting tabs open on various kinds of news sites I planned to bookmark and listening to a radio show.

I have uninstalled and moved on to Zone Alarm firewall and Avast Antivirus for now.

Sorry fellas, gals, that is my experience here. I am curious to see if things improve here, though, because I had a good first impression of Comodo that lasted, well, a little while.

Thanks ~~~!
; )

troll alert

An ignorant troll if that is the case. Pretty easy to read, I repeat read before you jump to conclusions. Zone Alarm… LOL

I told you exactly what happened to me. Many people had similar baaaaad problems and I don’t see you calling them a troll. How weird. ???

Maybe Zone Alarm was a bad choice? Nothing wrong with hearing why. I only knew:
– I didn’t want Norton, been there looooong ago
– I didn’t want AVG, it let me down
– I read the reports / reviews on cnet downloads and this seemed like by far the most popular choice.

The free version, maybe not so much, as I don’t seem to be able to tell it to do anything with my program access levels. But it’s what I’m starting with.

Ignorant, sure, but I just came here to report my experience after having used Comodo for a few short months. No other intentions here at all, I may not be a computer geek but I am a computer owner who tries to figure things out by myself and sure I will learn most things the hard way. I have learned to invest in cheaper computers, which has been a good thing for my purposes anyway . . .

And I will probably come back here to continue learning even if a couple people spit in my face :o

And I will probably come back here to continue learning even if a couple people spit in my face Shocked

Don’t worry about those two Alice, they’re just a couple of cloned fan boys in the making.

There are a few useful prople here abouts, I’m sure if you ask the right questions, someone will give you sensible feedback.

Please remain respectful toward other posters.
Alice2 just gave an honest assessment of her negative experience without insulting anyone,that is not trolling.

Allrighty, then! I will be watching the forum now to see what’s up with products as I don’t have Comodo anymore.

My computer seems to be stable right now, in spite of myself, which has me nothing short of amazed, so I must be learning something.

Watch out, I’m a computer geek in the making !ot! ;D

Hello Alice2

I’m sorry you are having such problems with CIS v4. You are not alone!

For instance, can't sort connection list by CPU usage, or by anything, for that matter.)
Same here - a clear cut bug I'm afraid. I'll report it as a bug or you can if you want. Though I cannot promise anything (I'm don't work for Comodo), it should be sorted pretty quickly as its easy to replicate.
Doesn't ask me what I want the settings to be on anything. I do recall my first install of CIS it went through this big procedure of what do I want to block and allow, incoming and outgoing.
This is partly because everything is sandboxed (so pretty safe) by default, partly because lots more vendors have been added to the safe list (which is good), and partly because outgoing connections are allowed by default. To remove the automatic sandboxing just disable it in Defense+ ~ Sandbox ~ Settings, and reboot. (You must reboot). To remove the allow all outgoing connections rule in the Firewall, go to Firewall ~ ADvanced ~ Network security policy and remove the 'All applications' rule. CIS will then behave much as version 3 did, only even more securely, as the antivirus has been uprated.
Firefox completely froze on me and was using up like 1,200 megabites of memory or whatever. All I was doing was pasting tabs open on various kinds of news sites I planned to bookmark and listening to a radio show.
These changes may resolve this problem. If not can you check you have the latest version of CIS in More.. ~ About. The version number should end in .779. Install the latest version and reboot. If you have the latest version and firefox is still troublesome, please come back to me and I'll search out a thread on this I remember. Think there may have been a problem with Firefox pre-loader or something.

Hope this helps a little and restores some faith.

Mouse

Thanks, Mouse! For the moment, I’m going to stay the course where I am, having clumsily reinstalled my computer into something that seems to be functioning. By the time I had to do this my computer was so stuck it wouldn’t let me do anything at all. I used to ‘tie my computer down’ so no programs could go online for anything unless I knew why I needed to let this happen, ESPECIALLY internet explorer, but I don’t have anything to tie it up with anymore so this is a whole new approach on how to run my computer.

I will continue to watch the forum and see where Comodo goes with its issues. Needing to know a bit about the program before using appears to be one of the ‘problems.’ I like something I can grab, throw on my computer, and THEN find out what happens, after having some reason to believe it’s a good program.

Got me in to All Kindza Trouble. . .

Are you saying that Firefox started using over 50% of the RAM. Do you remember if CIS was at normal levels, or was it using a lot as well. This is a strange problem.

Good choice in Antivirus, not so sure about ZoneAlarm. Please see the tests on this page:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

It looks like Online Armor Free may be a good replacement. If this doesn’t work I have also heard good things about PC Tools Firewall.

As to the problems you’ve had. If this is like most Comodo releases the program will work perfectly fine on most computers, but many will have problems. Within a while this will be fixed for most, but never for all. You could give it a try in a few releases and see if it is now ‘compatible’ with your computer.

Good luck.

Another example of ignorance due to the lack of reading.

I believe I had stated at the end of my response was “if that is the case.”

I was not trying to be sounding rude or hostile in my response to Alice2, I was just stating that most if not all ignorance towards a particular subject can be resolved by ether asking or in this case reading the entire documentation or in this case posts written by the manufacturer of this product or by previous users.

My point is, before you start throwing your hands up in the air and screaming “junk”, do a little common sense by reading thoroughly first and I’m sure that will dissolve any issues that you may be having at that period of time.

I am sorry if there was any ignorance on your behalf if my previous posting to Alice was taken totally out of context to what I was trying to put across.

just a small addition to Mike’s post: This has never been a feature of CIS so i am not clear exactly what the bug is here. CIS never had a connection sorting feature according to CPU.

Maybe it should. :wink:

For that purpose we have the Wishlist - CIS:wink:

To be honest I didn’t yet changed to CIS4 (still on 3.14), but I’m just waiting to see how things goes there.
So far the only difference that I could see is in the interface (as I didn’t test it on my machine), and it’s the missing “Proactive Defense” section in the Summary tab. I find it REALLY useful because it gives you a link to the Active Processes List, with which you can easily look at what programs are loaded and terminate them.
Is there any way (or any chance) to get it back?

It sorted the list of what it was showing you according to what you clicked on, like many list menus. I like to sort according to CPU usage because frequently items at the high end of the list are possible ‘culprits’ when I am trying to find out what’s goofing things up.

Ummmm … I’m a bit confused here Alice. I’ve used Comodo’s firewalls since V2 and I don’t remember ever seeing CPU Usage in any dialogues. Windows Task Manager - yes, Comodo’s firewall - No.

The firewalls dialogue shows bytes in and out and D+'s dialogue shows the Process ID (PID), but not CPU Usage.

What did you click to get to the dialogue box that shows CPU Usage?

Ewen :slight_smile:

I do not have Comodo installed anymore. Maybe I am saying it all wrong. It used to sort, you could click the tab at the top and it would sort, now it does not. You could sort by any of the columns. If ‘cpu usage’ is not the right term for what I was looking at, the fact it used to sort was what I remembered and was pointing out, not that this was any big deal in relation to everything else I reported.

I will stop the notifications in my inbox that I have replies now, folks, I got the bigger picture of what happened here and have added myself to the number of people that reported something. It works with some systems but will never work with all is nice to know.

Kind of reminds me of the spiral pasta salad I got at the salad bar that I only found out after sitting down and taking a bite that it also had little shrimpies in it.

Hey, that’s fine if you are not allergic to shrimp, but for a few unfortuate people that pasta salad will not work – and you know what? It didn’t have any warnings that it had little shrimpies in it! And no, I couldn’t see them while dishing it up.

I am, however, allergic to overcooked spiral pasta noodles. ;D

I just don’t like little surpries shrimpies in my overcooked pasta salad. I’m kinda hard to please like that.

have good nite yaaaa’ll ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ !

Sorry if got this wrong, I was really referring to whether these views were generally meant to sort - ‘or anything else for that matter’ in Alice2’s words. It’s probably my eyes (not as young as I used to be!) but there are what looks to me just like sort bars in the ‘View active connections’ view and indeed in the ‘View active processes list’ and they do visually respond (go dark) if you click on them, so users may think that they should work! (As I did, which is why I thought this a bug!).

Best wishes

Mike

I have CIS 3.14 installed but I can’t see what Alice means too.
The active connections windows can’t sort anything, and there’s no CPU column, same with Active Process list.