maybe social networking protection idk

i just heard that avg was doing this. idk what all it intails. i’m just mentioning so people will look into it. i have a feeling it’s a bloat feature that avg is doing to try and gain users or something. they generally don’t have good practices to follow from what i’ve seen. i’m just saying look into this and decide if it has any real use. i’m not saying it should be added

I think it would be a terrible bloat to be added, If your AV has “realtime” protection, your set for the internet.

AVG is trying to cash in on the social networking sites craze. There creating a specific scanner on top of a realtime scanner is pointless. If the realtime scanner didn’t catch it, the bloated add on won’t either. If AVG wants to manipulate there scanners, that’s up to them. I think It ranks right up there with “outlook scanner”, email scanner" it stupid (I’m not trying to be mean or anything. Why not have a office scanner or browser scanner too. It pointless :-TD

. they generally don't have good practices to follow from what i've seen
That's alot nicer then what I was going to write, but Good point :-La :■■■■

no your not being mean lol. you’re just confirming what i was pretty sure of already and i appreciate it. they may not even be adding another scanner. they may just be saying that to make it seem like there product helps keep users protected on social networks better now then it did and like no other security product will do this. basically just announcing a feature that was already there without having to add anything but making the user think they did. they don’t really protect anything well from what i’ve seen and it doesn’t look like that’s going to change. has avg ever been good, i’ve never seen a good review on avg

If it can work alongside another AV, and isn’t bloated, it could be useful.

Time will tell. :wink:

The only way to protect users from the potential threat of social networks is, education, or more realistically, disconnection.

Unfortunately, the majority of users on these services (500 million+ on Facebook alone) are click monkeys and have little in the way of thought for the information they happily post about themselves.

It really won’t matter what sort of ‘scanner’ comes along, unless it scans the users brain and stops them from the compulsion of clicking that next link, or posting that next, supposedly trivial, piece of information.

i don’t see how a scanner would work. maybe some kind of behavior monitor. like if the user clicks on something that should take them somewhere on facebook but redirects them to some fake phishing page. maybe the screen could darken and highlight the part of the url that isn’t right and have a message explaining what’s going on and something for the user to click on to get them out of there. maybe site inspector could help in this department by having an option to install the site inspector modual along with the rest of CIS or integrate site inspector into comodo dns or maybe as an add-on to install inside comodo dragon or just build it in to dragon. it could make sure all links are what they’re supposed to be, expand and collapse short urls, have a button beside every link to hover over giving a summery of the site that the link points to. maybe it could have an option to auto lockdown social networks using the social networks built in options so that the users profile isn’t open to everyone. idk. i’m just brain storming trying to see if there is anything of value in this area. i agree though so far it looks like education and disconnection is the best rout for average users who just post whatever to whoever and click whatever. if anyone can tell why the above ideas would be bad or expand on why you think they’re good and what could be added to the current ideas or just a new idea entirely, i’d really like to know. remember i’m not for this but i’m just brainstorming and trying to see if there is any value here. i’m just trying to find out if this is a good idea or not. i’m not trying to push this idea but i would like to know why it’s a bad idea in detail. not just, it’s a stupid idea or whatever because that then defeats the purpose of this thread. great job so far guys

i'm just brain storming trying to see if there is anything of value in this area.
Im sorry, I really don't have anything nice to say about it.

But this is all I’m going to say, The best protection for social networks is education (This information below will help you better then what AVG is offering)

Don't use your real name anywhere on the site. If you have a common first name -- Thomas, Samantha, or Chris -- use that and nothing more.

You can also pick a name that is meaningful to you without giving away personal details. For example, create a username that reflects your interest in music or writing, art or cars.
  Fill out as little of your personal profile as possible. You don't have to tell everybody how old you are or where you live. Some people opt to give only their home state, or region in some cases, for safety reasons.

You also don't have to upload a photo of yourself. If you want to share some sort of image, you can find an avatar online that fits your personality.

A good rule of thumb is to not post anything you don't want the whole world to know about.
  Only let people on your "friends" list access your profile and other information. The less you reveal to strangers, the safer you'll be.

This will only work, though, if you use discretion when you add people to your friends list. If you reciprocate every friend request that you receive, you'll quickly lose control over profile access.
  When you post a blog entry, proofread your writing a couple of times before you submit. After all, you don't want to give away too much personal information.

For example, Internet strangers don't need to know which school you attend, your kid brother's first name or where you go to church.

Also, don't post things that could embarrass you later. Even if you set your profile to "private," it could still come back to haunt you later.
  Sometimes you'll receive comments or messages from people you don't know. If that happens, you should be careful if you decide to reply.

Dangerous people often have subtle ways of making you slip up and share the wrong information when you aren't on guard.
  Remember that the moment you send a comment or message to somebody else, whatever you wrote is no longer in your control.

What you send to one person -- even a friend you know IRL ("in real life") -- can travel all over the Internet (and your school's hallways) without you even knowing this is happening.

If you have something to say that you don't want just anybody knowing, tell only your most trusted relatives and friends -- in person, not via the Internet, text messaging or email.
  If another MySpace user is making you uncomfortable -- trying to send you photos that you don't want to see, or asking overly personal questions -- report that user to MySpace administrators.

Then add that user to your "ignore" list and forget all about him or her once you've contacted MySpace.

(Confronting that user won't solve anything. Some people actually feed on conflict: don't give the user the satisfaction of being sucked in.)
  Recognize the employers often check MySpace before making job offers. So be careful about what you post on your MySpace pages.</blockquote>

and

In this issue of Scambusters, we review the five most common types of social networking scams and offer tips on how to avoid them. 1. Downloading malware

Running social networking sites is a competitive business with rich rewards from ad revenues for the winners. To give themselves an edge, most online community operators are constantly upgrading site functionality.

One technique allows members to install user-created applications on their profile pages. These might be used, for example, for animation, calendars, photo-feeds or simple games.

Trouble is that there are so many of these programs around that even the site security people struggle to keep pace with them.

This opens the door to the tricksters who are churning out spyware, trojans and viruses that members then unknowingly either download to their own computers or post on their profile page.

Experts believe this is by far the most common social networking scam. In a recent attack that hit all the big online communities, a supposed link to a video prompted users to install a plug-in; this then not only installed malware on the victims’ PC computers but also mailed itself to everyone on each victim’s “friends” list.

According to one expert, the reason social networking sites are particularly vulnerable is because the very essence of an online community is trust. People don’t expect to be scammed by other users. That makes them easy prey.

Keeping your Internet security software up to date creates the first line of defense against this sort of attack. You should also be wary about downloading and using new applications from unknown providers.

And just like with email, don’t believe that a message you got from a supposed friend or contact necessarily did come from that person.
2. False identity

It’s easy to set up a profile on the big social networking sites. For criminal types, this means an opportunity to pass themselves off as someone else – either real or non-existent.

Their motives may just be to have some anonymous fun but they’re more likely to be sinister, like establishing phony friendships that lead to face-to-face meetings with who-knows-what consequences, or to float invitations to adult sites.

Sometimes, the scammers use the identities of genuine people, using information and photographs trawled from the Internet. In the Vegas conference referred to above, two experts did just that to set up a LinkedIn profile. It garnered 50 friends in 24 hours.

The bottom line: Realize how easy it is to establish phony identities and don’t blindly trust that someone is who they say they are. Be wary about accepting new friends you haven’t checked out.

It’s often hard to avoid personal details and pictures of yourself appearing on the Internet but, at the very least, monitor (via Google) what is available and try to remove anything that could make you vulnerable.

And if you’re not a member of these online communities, it’s still worth visiting them. Consider setting up a limited user account, or at the very least do a search on your name, just in case someone’s pretending to be you.
3. Identity theft

In addition to passing themselves off as someone else, scammers also steal identities via social networking sites.

For a start, individual profile pages often bristle with personal information that can be used for ID theft – things like your age/birthdate, your location, phone number, email address, maybe your job and family details. And, of course, your photo.

They might try to build on that by phishing for your log-on password. They know that the chances are you use the same password for other sign-ons.

The most common technique is the message through the network that appears to have come from an online buddy, inviting you to check out a new profile page.

Clicking the link takes you to a bogus page that asks you to log on “again.” In reality, you’re handing over your confidential password to a scammer.

You can limit the risk of this type of identity theft by not posting too much giveaway detail about yourself on your profile page and watching out for suspicious invitations to view another profile.

Beware of any links that ask you to sign on again. This would be very unusual, if not unheard of, if you’re already signed on to the network. If the invitation comes via email, contact the friend to confirm he/she sent it.
4. Profile page hacks

When it comes to social networking scams, it’s just as easy for criminals to hack your profile page as it is for them to create their own phony profiles. All they need is your username and password.

Sometimes, hackers do this just for their own idea of having fun, scrawling graffiti over a user’s page. Other times they install invisible code that can be used for malicious purposes. Or they simply use your ID as a platform for spamming (mispelled intentionally).

Occasionally, their intent is pure evil. In one recent, well-aired case, bogus identities were used to launch a cyber-bullying attack, repeatedly defacing the victim’s site with malicious comments The victim subsequently committed suicide.

The key to preventing this type of attack is not only to have a strong password but also to change it very frequently. Read more about this and pick up some useful computer password security tips in this Scambusters article.

If your profile or your identity are in any way compromised, you should also inform the site operator. If threats are involved, tell the police.
5. Sending and receiving spam

A college student from Chicago recently reported how his MySpace friends became infuriated after receiving messages, purportedly from him, promoting the sale of adult products. Recipients included his 14-year-old niece.

Turned out he’d installed a widget program of the sort described in social networking scam #1 above. Its supposed purpose was to help decorate the user’s page but additionally it mailed the spam to all his friends.

If they subsequently clicked on any of the links, it did the same thing all over again.

But scammers don’t only want to use your profile to spam others. They want to spam you. And they want to do this with very carefully targeted emails.

Especially on sites for business professionals, they scour members’ personal details. They use the sites’ own search tools to identify members’ areas of expertise and interest.

Messages are then sent to them from a bogus-identity account on the network. Recently, this included variations of the Nigerian 419 advance fee scam which, because it was passed between network members, using the network software, it bypassed individuals’ spam filters. You can find more on Nigerian Fee 419 scams on our site.

Alternatively, the names and details gleaned are combined together into master lists of people with specific interests that are sold on to other spammers.

Reduce this danger by limiting the amount of information you post on your profile page and listing a short-term or disposable email address for contact.

Social networks have become part of the fabric of online life and their popularity is likely to increase for many years to come. And there’s no doubt they’re a great way to make friends or do business.

I already know all that, i was talking about average users but nice post. it was still an interesting read. i wish i could get more people especially my friends and family to read stuff like that but they just simply don’t want to hear it. they just don’t want to learn because they think they’ve already got it all figured out and ignore my warnings like i know nothing when i’m the only one in my family who reads stuff like this and just studies security in general. it’s so frustrating trying to get the word out.

Thanks for your feedback. Good post man

Social Networking Protection is an unnecessary bloat on the system, anyone smart enough to go with comodo should know this.

Here’s how it works.

I guess it could be useful for some people. Still, it appears that it would be an unnecessary bloat for most.

The link to the product comparison page mentioned makes it sound like persistent nagware.

So how is this really new… in fact I cannot see this been anything but an limited automated site inspector? Forgive me if I got the wrong end of the stick. >:-D

thanks for the link. so basically avg puts something beside the links that users post on websites that says the link is considered safe by avg.

that’s kinda like wot but not user based. ok so this has basically already been asked for on the site inspector thread. ok cool

they just don't want to learn because they think they've already got it all figured out and ignore my warnings like i know nothing when i'm the only one in my family who reads stuff like this and just studies security in general.
There's the issue, some teens don't listen to there parents depending on what it is. (In fact, it sound like me when I was in high school) It's been like since the beginning of time. )I assume that's what the main issue is about) <--- When It comes to teens, I don't know what the answer is ??? (it like there invincible until proven wrong. I don't know to say.