MaxNumFilters wrongly set up in Windows 8.1 (Firewall not works)

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
[ol]- Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?: Yes, perfectly reproduced.
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened: Install Windows 8.1 Pro Preview (Microsoft provided serial), then CIS latest version from forum announce (same for the version in the website). Firewall will not work. Automatic repair not work.
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen: Firewall working :slight_smile:
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?: N/A
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version: N/A
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc: Fixed. Found the solution in a Help thread (here).

MaxNumFilters (DWORD) inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network

Until Windows 7 it default to the value: 8 (and if deleted or ‘not set’ means 1)
From Windows 8 it default as ‘not set’ (which now means unlimited)

CIS (or maybe Windows itself) is guessing the ‘not set’ as ‘1’ and setting it to ‘2’ before enabling Firewall. This causes the bug, because Windows come with 6-7 filters by default.

Tried a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and adding the DWORD (setting the value to ‘8’) before installing CIS results in a working Firewall (and the value is automatically increased to ‘9’). Also worked for those that previously installed CIS (which have the DWORD set as ‘2’), manually setting to ‘8’ and reinstalling CIS.

• Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware)
    [/ol]

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)
[ol]- Exact CIS version & configuration: 6.2.282872.2847

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV: Default
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): None
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?: No
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?: N/A
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do: N/A
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used: Windows 8.1 Pro Preview 64 bits Portuguese-BR, UAC Default (warn), admin account (MS account online), no VM.
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: a= None b= None
    [/ol]

I would not call this a bug. windows 8.1 is NOT officially supported by comodo so any adverse effects is expected. The registry tweak was posted by a forum member not as an official fix from comodo. Please wait for an official release from comodo that supports windows 8.1

The behaviour of Windows 8.1 to this Registry DWORD is the same as in the Windows 8. Microsoft didn’t changed it in the 8.1 Preview and when 8.1 be officially launched it’s CLEARLY seen that it would be confirmed as a bug - in your point of view. So why not fix this SMALL bug now? It’s a PREVENTION of a problem. Actually, when Windows 8.1 be officially launched, Comodo WILL have to fix it ANYWAY before launch a “8.1 compatible version” - again, in your point of view.

In MY point of view, it’s ALREADY a ‘confirmed’ bug: any 8.1 Preview user is able to download Comodo and install it - if Comodo ‘do not officially support’ this Windows version, an alert should be presented or the installation should be terminated, as in XP versions prior to SP2. The fact that I CAN [almost] successfully install Comodo in Windows 8.1, is something that make me believe - as a final user - that Comodo wants it’s to work in this version, as a supported version. Again: Microsoft didn’t changed this registry behaviour from 8.0 to 8.1 and fixing ONLY this small problem, CIS runs smoothly! So, I really thinks that Comodo will be glad to make CIS fully working with Windows 8.1 (including in Preview version).

This is definitely an issue, but as Windows 8.1 is not yet officially released, and therefore not supported by CIS, I will move this to the HELP section of the forum.

Thank you.

It’s very unfair… :-TD

I’m not placing an bug report for 8.1 Final. I’m placing a bug report for 8.1 Preview. :-\

THIS Windows is released and Comodo is conniving with the installation of CIS in this system :-TU

Every person I recommend CIS, I will have to give also a link to this thread, and he will have to deal with regedit use and all it risks? It’s like walk backward in your own politics, as you develop things to make the life of people EASIER ???

I both agree and disagree with that, I think that it is something Comodo developers should look into however he is right in that Comodo does not support Windows 8.1 and hence should not take bug reports for it since it is not yet a supported operating system.

Windows 8.1 Preview is not designed for 24/7 use, it is not designed to replace your primary system or even any system, it is designed to be what it says, a preview of the next release. Windows 8.1 was not out at the time of release of the latest CIS version, hence there is no code to reject the installation for Windows 8.1 however one would think that wouldn’t have a black-list of operating systems but rather a white-list but perhaps Windows 8.1 looks like Windows 8 to CIS, questions I don’t have answers to.

If you are recommending people to update their systems to Windows 8.1 Preview then you are doing something wrong and you should stop that right now, Windows 8.1 is not made for that kind of usage and fatal bugs are to be expected, for example the issue with CIS was to be expected, not the specific issue but that there would be an issue, and for the reasons Windows 8.1 Preview was released, that should not matter too much, since it should not be your primary operating system.

Edit: Just because I have a feeling I would need to post it later anyway, I will attach quotes which back-ups my claims.

Edit 2: Cleaned up some clutter and spelling mistakes, sure there are more though.

I understand that. Also, I’m sure there will be a preview released to the Star Group. We’ll be sure to test it and make sure it works well.

That said, I do appreciate you letting us know.

Just some credit given to SanyaIV, your post is clear and precise. :-TU
Thank you.

Why do Microsoft release preview versions for free? For people find bugs and they fix it. We are benefiting of the bleeding edge of technology, and they are benefiting the ‘free beta testers’ instead of paying employees to test the OS.

Windows 8.1 was not out at the time of release of the latest CIS version, hence there is no code to reject the installation for Windows 8.1 however one would think that wouldn't have a black-list of operating systems but rather a white-list but perhaps Windows 8.1 looks like Windows 8 to CIS, questions I don't have answers to.

Windows 8.1 is not being seen as Windows 8. Not in all aspects. The code that check the Windows version is not universal along the CIS source code, or this DWORD would be treated as it is in the Windows 8 (where it also is not set). So, maybe there is a code that check the Windows version and is identifying Windows 8.1 as 8 (and allow CIS install) and another code that check the Windows version and react in a specific manner if Windows 8 is found, to best handle this DWORD key - and it’s not being triggered in Windows 8.1, so, it’s not being treated as Windows 8.

If you are recommending people to update their systems to Windows 8.1 Preview then you are doing something wrong and you should stop that right now
I'm not. I said I'm recommending CIS. And, in the scope of people I recommend CIS, there may be some 8.1 Preview users.
Windows 8.1 is not made for that kind of usage and fatal bugs are to be expected, for example the issue with CIS was to be expected, not the specific issue but that there would be an issue, and for the reasons Windows 8.1 Preview was released, that should not matter too much, since it should not be your primary operating system.
Unfortunately, a lot people - including me - are using 8.1 Preview as main OS. If you search web you will find a lot people saying 'Windows 8.1 Preview is the Windows 8 made the right way' (at least in portuguese, there are a lot! [url=http://tecnoblog.net/134025/windows-8-1-preview/]example[/url])- And I fully agree, it's WAY better. And even if I'm not using as a my main system, why should I not protect the system with a good antivirus? If I need to login to my bank (or PayPal) account, should I reboot and enter Windows 8 (or Seven) just for this, because of the security, and then come back to 8.1? Also, the 8.1 Preview is here for us to test and find things that do not work as expected. This is one of them.

Anyway, I enforce captainsticks greetings, for your polite and helpful post. It contributed to the debate and is not a “I’m right, you’re wrong!” post like I’d seen until now.

Yes, indeed we are supposed to use it and find issues with it and report them, however what I mean is that it is not meant to replace your primary system, rather it’s something that you install on the side and play around in and nothing that should be important if it breaks.

I honestly do not know how it works and I realize now by the words I chose in my previous post it kind of sounded like I did which I apologize for, I should have made it clear that I was speculating as to why the installer didn’t resist the installation of Windows 8.1 systems. In my opinion the next version of CIS should either a) Resist installation on Windows 8.1 or b) Try to fix some of the bugs (I only know of this one being introduced with Windows 8.1 but there might of course be more)

Ah I see, I apologize for misunderstanding you. If you don’t want them to go into regedit and change things, you could create a .reg file for them which they just need to execute, in fact such a file should be made available for easy access on this forums for those who are using Windows 8.1 and CIS and have the same issue and are looking for a solution, many of them would probably not feel comfortable going in the regedit and would prefer an automated .reg file.

I can understand that you are using it as your main system and I won’t try to make you rethink that but I would like to recommend that you make some back-ups in case something happens, previews are made to be stable but unexpected consequences may arise when you install software or drivers etc which are made for Windows 8 or previous versions, or issues might pop-up out of the blue.

If you are using Windows 8.1 as it is meant to be used, and you don’t use it as your main system, then it is my strong belief that you should not have any sensitive data or do anything which involves sensitive data on that operating system. Yes, indeed it is my opinion that you should reboot and enter your main system to do such things.

And indeed Windows 8.1 is made to be tested and find things (and it’s a good idea to test CIS tbh) which is why I agree that this should be added to the list of bugs which should be checked & solved however what I’ve learned is that such things seem to be rather formal on this forum and while it is something that should be fixed, Windows 8.1 is still not a supported operating system and hence has no place in the bug reports section. I can just hope that CIS developers are aware of the situation for when they release an official version that supports Windows 8.1 whether they decide to release one first for Windows 8.1 Final or decide to make one compatible with Windows 8.1 Preview. If this issue will not be fixed with new releases and it doesn’t resist installation, then I think we should have a .reg file to help users with Windows 8.1 Preview - even though Windows 8.1 isn’t supposed to be used as a main operating system.

Where in the FAQ for windows 8.1 preview does it states its not for everyday use. In what way do you think it is meant to be used. I use it has a primary and only system, yes I am aware its a beta and it could possibly fail. Which is why in that respect I have numerous backup procedures in place and have no issue with re-installing the OS if needed. So according to Microsoft technical support they have informed me that I am using the preview has it is intended to be used, has long as I am willing to accept there may be faults with the system. All people are doing on here is informing others of a way to get the firewall working, if they so choose to do that.

I apologize if I implied that it is not for everyday use, what I meant is that it is not made for everyday use as your primary system, however you are one of the people who are excepted from this as you have a proper back-up system. See the quote below.

And I have not tried to hinder them in any way, have I?

As with any beta product release, not only can you not expect the software itself to function perfectly, you also can’t expect it to play well with other products. If the developers considered the product to be polished, they would make a public release instead of a beta release.

This especially applies to products that were developed before the beta release of the product you’re testing…

In other words, you absolutely can not expect every piece of software that you have on your machine to function properly with the Windows 8.1 pre-release, or for that matter, even know what the release is.

I’m sure in the future CIS will support 8.1, but since it was released before the 8.1 preview, any incompatibilities between the two products definitely can not be considered bugs. As such, it was appropriate (and yes, fair…) for Chiron to move this topic from the bug reports section to the help section. There are incompatibilities, yes. But bugs, no. It is not a bug to be incompatible with a yet-to-be-released product…

Sorry I missed that part, lol. I did not mean to anger or annoy anyone by my comments. My backups consists of 2 online, extra harddrive and a RAID system. I also enjoy reinstalling to see what setups works best in what ever scenario.

If I just leave broken, it will remain broken in 8.1 Final. And it’s CLEAR that will remain broken if this ‘piece’ of code do not be changed, because if Windows 8 and 8.1 have exact the same behaviour regarding this dword mentioned, I should report bugs to Microsoft or to the software suppliers (Comodo, in this case).

I honestly do not know how it works and I realize now by the words I chose in my previous post it kind of sounded like I did which I apologize for, I should have made it clear that I was speculating as to why the installer didn't resist the installation of Windows 8.1 systems. In my opinion the next version of CIS should either a) Resist installation on Windows 8.1 or b) Try to fix some of the bugs (I only know of this one being introduced with Windows 8.1 but there might of course be more)

Right! This is what I expect, too. A or B. (preferably, B ;D)

Ah I see, I apologize for misunderstanding you. If you don't want them to go into regedit and change things, you could create a .reg file for them which they just need to execute, in fact such a file should be made available for easy access on this forums for those who are using Windows 8.1 and CIS and have the same issue and are looking for a solution, many of them would probably not feel comfortable going in the regedit and would prefer an automated .reg file.

What people will think when I say “apply THIS .reg” → “install THIS antivirus”? They will think I’m phishing them. 88)

I can understand that you are using it as your main system and I won't try to make you rethink that but I would like to recommend that you make some back-ups in case something happens, previews are made to be stable but unexpected consequences may arise when you install software or drivers etc which are made for Windows 8 or previous versions, or issues might pop-up out of the blue.

Like the user posted above, I DO my backups. We live in the Cloud Era.

If you [b]are[/b] using Windows 8.1 as it is meant to be used, and you don't use it as your main system, then it is my strong belief that you should not have any sensitive data or do anything which involves sensitive data on that operating system. Yes, indeed it is my opinion that you should reboot and enter your main system to do such things.

And indeed Windows 8.1 is made to be tested and find things (and it’s a good idea to test CIS tbh) which is why I agree that this should be added to the list of bugs which should be checked & solved however what I’ve learned is that such things seem to be rather formal on this forum and while it is something that should be fixed, Windows 8.1 is still not a supported operating system and hence has no place in the bug reports section. I can just hope that CIS developers are aware of the situation for when they release an official version that supports Windows 8.1 whether they decide to release one first for Windows 8.1 Final or decide to make one compatible with Windows 8.1 Preview. If this issue will not be fixed with new releases and it doesn’t resist installation, then I think we should have a .reg file to help users with Windows 8.1 Preview - even though Windows 8.1 isn’t supposed to be used as a main operating system.

I still prefer that Comodo update CIS with a correct behaviour to deal with this DWORD the right way in 8.1, like ALREADY MADE with the same key in Windows 8.

Sorry, but it seems you have missed a thing: it’s not a BETA release (closed to MSDN subscriptors). It’s a PUBLIC Preview release. It’s like “we added 10 functions, beta testers approved, we are releasing them now, but will still add 10 more new functions and, probably, polish the 10 functions already released until we release the final version, but the system is usable as is”. They FOR SURE don’t want to be sued for any problems, but at same time, are trying to catch attention to their new OS and, accept it, the Windows 8.1 Preview OS is GREAT ;D

In other words, you absolutely can not expect every piece of software that you have on your machine to function properly with the Windows 8.1 pre-release, or for that matter, even know what the release is.

I’m sure in the future CIS will support 8.1, but since it was released before the 8.1 preview, any incompatibilities between the two products definitely can not be considered bugs. As such, it was appropriate (and yes, fair…) for Chiron to move this topic from the bug reports section to the help section. There are incompatibilities, yes. But bugs, no. It is not a bug to be incompatible with a yet-to-be-released product…

I understand your point of view. I can’t expect a CIS version launched before the 8.1 Preview launch to work 100% with it. But, HOW would I claim attention from Comodo that something is not working, if not placing a bug report? If nobody share this knowledge with Comodo, they would, probably, launch a new version, still allowing the installation over Windows 8.1 Preview AND still presenting this problem. Only after this I should alert them: “hey, this is broken! and 8.1 has been launched previous to your software, fix it because NOW it’s a bug!” ??

If I’m doing it the wrong way (if there is another way to certify they will “a) or b)” as said above), I will certainly agree and contact them in that right way. But, I could only find the Bug Report as a way.

Just a comparison: I use a PHP script v2.0 with jQuery javascript library included, and the current jQuery is 1.0. Then jQuery launches a 1.1 version (with new effects I like), then I update jQuery in my script, and something in the PHP script breaks… shouldn’t I contact the PHP script author to PREPARE the 2.1 version of his script to be prepared to works with jQuery 1.1? I know he could just release a 2.1 version still compatible with 1.0 and with this version bundled. BUT, for sure, he will say “THANKS!” and not only fix the piece of code that is incompatible with jQuery 1.1 but also bundle this version instead 1.0 (even if the 1.0 is still compatible with the updated script after the fix). Because things EVOLVE and offering better and more complete/flexible options is the better way to achieve the success (making more people happy with the software).

If the author is not able to make his 2.1 script compatible with jQuery 1.1, I can’t argue… he is not obligated to. Comodo, from SOME WAY, should know that a problem exists. They may fix it, or they may leave it broken. But considering the fact it’s a complete security suite and that the installation of this soft will BREAK things in my OS, even after uninstalling it, is a reason for them to DISALLOW installation or to fix the problem in newer releases.

* I forgot to mention before: after uninstalling CIS, the DWORD is LEAVED THERE, set as ‘2’ and ANY other security/network related software will break. Windows Defender itself, bundled with Windows 8 / 8.1 Preview, is disabled by CIS, and will refuse to start even after uninstalling CIS! You should fix the DWORD BY YOUR OWN (either raising it to 8 or more, if you want to successfully install CIS afterwards, or deleting it, to roll back to the state it was before first installing CIS). Windows Firewall, VERY PROBABLY, will ALSO PRESENT PROBLEMS, although it is show as “running”.

This will make people think “CIS is not compatible with Windows 8.1 Preview yet… let me uninstall it and try something else… oops, NOTHING network related is working right in this piece of s**t released by MS! I will format it and go back to previous version/go Linux” while THE PROBLEM IS ACTUALLY CAUSED BY CIS!

-many edits- 1st to add last 3 paragraphs. others to fix some typos.

Indeed, however I am pretty sure that CIS will be fixed WHEN it officially supports Windows 8.1, at the moment it doesn’t and I would imagine that it is not a high priority for the developers since they still have issue and bugs with current versions of Windows.

If they trusted you with choosing their security system I think they would trust you with a .reg file, especially if they’ve updated to Windows 8.1 since they must seek out to do so and hence at least have some technical understanding, you can also check what is inside the .reg file by right-clicking it and choosing “Edit” or “Open with” and choosing notepad or something like that.

:-TU Very good practices, however I personally dislike cloud back-ups, who knows who have access to those files, but that’s just me, I do upload some things to such services though but nothing important and if it is then I encrypt them.

I completely agree, however that is something the developers of CIS will have to decide on, I would however imagine it’s not a high priority for them as I said. Seems to be a very simple fix so I think they might as well fix it but NOT claim that CIS supports Windows 8.1 until it is actually tailored for it.

I set the filter to 9. Re-install Comodo twice - restart etc. Result: CIS 6 now working fine (secure mode) on Windows 8.1, Comodo firewall included. — Not working: Virtual kiosk (do not stay open).

Increasing MaxNumFilters just to 8 prior to installing CIS 6 did not work for me. I think that it had to do with having Hyper-V installed, as on my first Windows 8.1 installation, setting MaxNumFilters to 8 worked just fine.

So I’ve tried increasing it to 14 (20 decimal) and it still wouldn’t work (I was lazy to try to reinstall CIS every time I’ve changed MaxNumFilters so I’ve hoped that CIS’ “Fix it” would be enough). Then I’ve tried to install COMODO network adapter service manually (Network Connections > Adapter you use > Properties > Install > Service > COMODO) and then run “Fix it” and it worked!

So if Firewall still won’t work for you after you set MaxNumFilters to 8, try increasing it and manually installing network service. It’s faster than reinstalling CIS few times :wink:

Comodo developers should (at least) acknowledge with a “small” thank you Renato Frota’s input & workaround :-TU
And for the other “inquisitive users - testers” of comodo + 8.1 Krcko’s “bypass” might work.
Have a nice day

My comodo dont even install in windows 8.1… says compatibility issues

Please make some comodo beta for windows 8.1 users