Manual update dilemmas

I like Comodo but why is it made so difficult to do off-line manual updates of the virus database? First, there is no mention of this even as a possibility on the main site. Only by carefully searching the forums can a link eventually be found. Second, even after the main database is downloaded and copied and renamed as per the instructions (hardly an elegant process), it still has to be updated on-line to get rid of the ‘Never Updated’ status message. Granted, this doesn’t take long, but it does require an internet connection. I’m still trying to figure out how to get the update onto an off-line computer. I have even tried copying the entire Comodo folder in safe mode, but it still insists no update has taken place.

Is all this hoop jumping on purpose? Does Comodo really, really hate people who don’t want to use the Update button? Manual updating is a necessity for us poor souls still stuck on dial-up through no fault of our own. It is a big convenience for those of us who also have off-line computers that require scanning. More power to those who dwell in the cloud, but do also spare an occasional thought for the huddled masses still living on the ground.

Howdy Rik;

What do you suggest to make this process faster, better, more user friendly?

A button.
Manual update with local file.

Also a button to specify the update rate.

Its not that hard to imagine.

I think the question has just been answered.

Hi

I have a related problem and have a very slow internet connection. The 30 min. auto updates was slowing my PC to a crawl, so I changed the settings to manual update which I try to do each day, however the updates download quickly enough but the manual update install goes to 90% then stalls for over 2 hours before finally completing. During this time the cmdagent uses a lot of memory and seems to activate the Windows wuaudt service and it also vastly increases the memory usage by svchost.exe, thereby making the PC unusable. My OS is XP pro with 768mb ram.

Please make sure that there are no left overs of previously uninstalled security programs around. Not all uninstallers do a proper job. And left over applications, drivers or services can cause all sort of “interesting effects”.

Try using removal tools for those programs to remove them. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Let us know if the above helped or not. Can you tell us a bit more about your system? What processor are you using?