Malware on Removable Disks Should Be Blocked Instead of Quarantined [M898]

1. What actually happened or you saw

As reported by helladios in this thread, when CIS detects a malware on a CD or DVD it tries to quarantine it which doesn’t really make any sense since you can’t edit a CD / DVD, then CIS will reboot the computer in order for the removal to complete. (Which if I understand it correctly will not happen since CIS can’t modify CDs or DVDs. (Blu-rays included I’d assume)

2. What you wanted to happen or see

As helladios says the logical step is to permanently block the malware instead of trying to quarantine it in vain. (If the user has it to ask for action then I’d assume instead of Clean or Ignore you get the options Block or ignore)

3. Why you think it is desirable

This would firstly be a more logical behavior and secondly it wouldn’t request you to restart the computer for no reason. Trying to quarantine a file on a CD/DVD is simply not logical unless the disc is re-writable which not many discs are and even then the user probably don’t want the CD / DVD to be altered.

4. Any other information

The initial thread by helladios is in the resolved section of the main bug report section because it is more of a wish rather than a bug and it does not mean that the issue is fixed, I was asked by Chiron to create a wish for it in this section.

Thank you for putting this in the correct format. It has been added to the tracker.

Thanks again.

As this was not implemented during the Beta testing period I will move this Wish Request to the main Wish Board.

Please check and see if this is implemented with the newest version (7.0.313494.4115)? You can just respond to this topic letting me know if it has been implemented or not.

Thank you.

I made this wish on behalf of another user, I do personally not have the tools to test this.

That’s fine. If anyone can test this, for this or future releases, please let me know. I’m just trying to make sure the tracker entries are as up-to-date as possible.

Thanks.