Making 'ASK' permanent

I am getting infuriated with the constant attempts to set MS Outlook to allow. It will show the pile of messages, with repeated boxes to allow the application access. I do not want it to ever not ask for access. Ever.

This policy has enabled me to enjoy an almost spam free email life, with 4 active accounts. Less than dozen ■■■■ mails a year. Nothing can call home without me seeing the attempt. People letting their browsers and email programs have automatic open doors have made them the biggest backdoors available.

Is there a way to stop the advisor element from checking the allow box?

What do the two boxes ‘Turn on’ and ‘Turn off’ Application Control Rules do? there is no explanation in help for the result of either box being checked. Maybe one will work…

hi,

use the learnmode as hint and then configure the app rule, might add a network rule for out.

ifs normal behave no popup is, if call outlook from IE, popup, from firefox, popup, etc.

you see how it works.

and allow all means comodo have no effect. (firewall off for researches or whatever)

Mike

Not much meat in your answer, but thank you anyway.

I am removing the firewall from my computer and trying another. If this program cannot stop trying to make Outlook an ‘allowed program’, I am not going to keep unchecking the box.

Not worth the trouble. I have unchecked that box for the last time. A Custom Setting for an application set to ASK should not have an infuriating default check on the ‘allow’ box to be set. Every time the program opens.

That sounds inherently dangerous to me and would seem to defeat the object of the exercise i.e. to warn you if an application is trying to make an unauthorized connection. You run the risk of becoming a victim of an Open Relay if you don’t know what your email program is doing.

[quote author=Jascal link=topic=13645.msg95560#msg95560 date=1192212743]Is there a way to stop the advisor [quote element from checking the allow box?
[/quote]
I suspect it’s due to elements in Outlook which are still awaiting approval. To check, open the Logs menu, right click anywhere in the list and choose “Export to HTML”. Give it a name and then save the file somewhere. Then open it and look for entries for Outlook in context of items still needing approval.
For example, in the image below, two files, namely ZipDLL.dll and UnzDLL.dll were still awaiting approval for Spybot S&D at the time. When you find the ones which need approval in Outpost, open the “Component Monitor”, then click “Add” and navigate to the appropriate files. To find “Outpost” entries quickly, hit CTRL+F and then type in that word.

Actually there is… you just have to know where to find it. Open the menu and then hit the F1 key. You’ll get a detailed explanation of what those options mean. :wink:

[attachment deleted by admin]

You totally miss the point:

The program keeps default checking the box to make outlook automatically allowed to use the internet. I want it to ask every single time. Instead the program inserts the check into the allow box, and I have to manually uncheck each box each time. I want it to ask each time, and not have the box to allow auto-checked by the program.

ASK needs to stay ASK. The on-off button is useless for this issue, it just allows the program to do what it wants.

Uninstalled the program for now.

I understood what you meant Jascal. It’s an unusual request wanting to always be prompted for the same app repeatedly. Most people want the opposite. I think what you want is to allow Outlook to receive email but block the sending of email unless you approve which you might be able to do using the Network config options. Whether that can be achieved I don’t know, I’m a COMODO newbie also. :slight_smile:

re,

did you ever accidantly while save outlook to apps monitor “remember”? if so, delete all, begin from new.

sorry your post was not given that at 1.

then i would have alert level high.

your only problem is the checkbox remember is ticked?

Mike

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to receive mail, but don’t want any email sent without you knowing about it.

Have you considered blocking the outbound email ports?

Outgoing email uses TCP on port 25. Normal submission email is outbound TCP on port 587. And MS Outlook (& Express) still support the ancient form of encrypted email outbound on TCP port 465.

Incoming mail via POP is TCP port 110, or the ancient encrypted form on TCP port 995.

Incoming mail via IMAP is TCP port 143, or the ancient enrypted form on TCP port 993.

If you block the outgoing mail ports, then anything trying to send should just wind up sitting in a queue waiting for the “okay to send”.