Make CIS On-Demand Scans Scan Compressed Files By Default [M1351]

1. What actually happened or you saw:
Currently Comodo Internet Security does not scan compressed files at the default settings, even if the user manually clicks on a compressed file and chooses to scan it. Scanning compressed files is possible if the scan settings are changed, but is not done at default settings.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
I would like to see this behavior changed so that an on-demand scan should, by default, scan .zip .rar .7z .cue .iso .dat files (and more). Note that I do not want the real-time scanner to scan compressed files, as this may slow down the computer.

3. Why you think it is desirable:
The lack of this default behavior with CIS opens the possibility that there is a compressed file on the computer which contains an infected file. Although there is no need to scan these compressed files in realtime, this should be done in all on-demand scans. Most users will not know to change these settings.

4. Any other information:
If CIS scanned all compressed file by default then we will not have to be crazy about the possibility that we have an infected file compressed in some file in our HD, pendrives, etc. The problem is that by default CIS will scan the files ONLY if we decompress the files. If we right click some rar file for example and choose to have it scanned by CIS, the file will not be scanned and CIS will, still, show the message that the file was 100% scanned but that’s not the actual case. By default CIS does not scan compressed files.

The risk normally occurs when the files are decompressed. Than Comodo will scan and detect the threats :slight_smile:

I believe that by default it scans only when decompressed. If so this is intentional as it will be scanned when run anyway. However, when the option is enabled, which file types are not scanned anyway? Does anyone know for sure which file types are decompressed for scanning and which are not?

yro, is your wish for CIS to unpack and scan additional file types by default, or is the wish that it has the option to unpack and scan more file types than it currently does?

PM reminder sent.

sorry my delay. my wish is for CIS to unpack and scan additional file types by default.

Thank you for clarifying this. I made some minor edits to your first post to clarify this.

However, as Netguy101 pointed out, CIS will scan all files as they are being unpacked under the default settings. It just won’t unpack them itself for scanning. However, I do not see how this makes a computer with CIS set up in this way any more vulnerable to malware. If the zip file is unpacked, whether by the user or by another program, the files instead would be scanned at that time.
Thus, I can see reasons why this may be desirable, but your post is making it sound like this is a way to sneak malware past CIS so that it can infect the computer. Could you please clarify why you think this is desirable, taking what I just discussed into consideration?

Thank you.

PM reminder sent.

Hi Chiron.

The problem is that CIS will scan the files ONLY if we decompress the files. If we right click some rar file for example and choose to have it scanned by CIS, the file will not be scanned and CIS will, still, shows the message that the file was 100% scanned but thats not the real case. CIS does not scan compressed files unless we say to do so.

And thats where the problem is. Every kind of packages has some compressed files, as OS isos (windows, linux, etc), as games (cd, dvd or downloades ones), etc. If one of these files is infected but the file is compressed as, lets say, .7z, then CIS will not scan the interior files of this compressed package.

My request is to have CIS fullly scanning these kind of files, even if we spend more time on scans.

I prefer to spent more time on scan than “ignore” a possible malware. And I guess any one will agree on that… I guess…

As for example, KIS, AIS, ZIS (even avast do it) do the “decompress for scan only” thing and it takes not too much time to scan compressed files, so why cant Comodo?

Thank you. Now I understand.

I made some changed to the first post, and altered the title. Please let me know if it correctly represents your wish.

Thank you.

Kudos to you sir. In every CIS installation I have to add most know compressed file extensions by hand. If CIS scanned this files automatically, this would be great.

That’s because there is a 40MB limit set by default. Perhaps what you really want is limit removal for on-demand scan at most.

Are compressed files under 40MB scanned correctly then under default settings? I just checked with the zipped eicar file and it was quarantined correctly.

PM sent.

yro, please try scanning the zip file from this page and let me know whether a manual scan, under default settings, is able to detect it. Let me know what you find.

Thanks.

yro, I sent you a PM with a download link to the file in 7z format as well. On your computer, under default settings, is a manual scan able to detect the file inside the 7z file?

I just installed the new Beta. Then, with this Wish in mind, I refrained from changing any settings. What I found was that you are correct. Under default settings the file will not be found inside a zip file or a 7z file under default settings. I apologize. I must have made a change I didn’t remember making to the configuration.

I made a very small edit to the first post and added a poll. Does everything look correct?

Again, I’m sorry for my mistake in believing that my test was under default settings when in fact it must have been modified.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.

+1 :-TU