Make Advanced Popup Which Can Be Used To Make General Rules From Popup [M1028]

1. What version of CIS, or Comodo Firewall, are you currently using:
CIS 7.0.313494.4115

2. What actually happened or you saw:

1. Let the program accesses a file “C:\secure\logs\1.log” in protected folder "C:\secure" or accesses to internet without rule, example, IP 100.100.100.100:8080.

2. COMODO HIPS (or Firewall) shows message to user so they can make a decision.

3. If user selects “allow” and “save”, will make rule “allow” for “C:\secure\logs\1.log” or IP 100.100.100.100:8080.

4. Let the program accesses a file “C:\secure\logs\2.log” or access by IP 100.100.100.101:8080

5. There is no way to create a General rule. COMODO again and again prompts for each new file unless you manually create a general rule through the Advanced Settings.

3. What you wanted to happen or see:

In AppArmor utilites in Ubuntu Linux for each query are displayed several proposals. It would be nice if COMODO acted similarly.

Example, for access to file “C:\secure\logs\1.log” in protected folder "C:\secure" COMODO must be to offer the following options:
block/allow “C:\secure\logs\1.log”
block/allow “C:\secure\logs*.log”
block/allow “C:\secure\logs*”
block/allow “C:\secure*”
block/allow “C:*”
block/allow “.log"
block/allow "

block/allow “SecuredFolders” (if secured folders goup “SecuredFolders” defined by HIPS and contain folder “C:\secure*”)

For access to a system registry, COMODO may issue options in one regisrtry key, registry key group (declared by HIPS rules)
For example, access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ generates the following options
block/allow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
block/allow \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (as declared in HIPS rules)
block/allow “autorun group” (as declared this group in HIPS rules)
block/allow “all registry records”

For a firewall, request to IP 100.100.100.100:8080 by tcp may issue options:
block/allow all network activities
block/allow tcp
block/allow :8080 for tcp
block/allow 100.100.100.100:
for tcp
block/allow 100.100.100.100:8080 for tcp

and the variants that are now generated by the rules (and already displayed as options, example “restricted application”)

4. Why you think it is desirable:
While trying to make a new application work sometimes hundreds of monotonous requests appear. Currently the only alternative is to manually go to the Advanced Settings and create the rule from there.
However, if CIS provided the option to create a general rule from the popup this would be much simpler.

5. Any other information:
These options should be hidden by default so that novice users do not accidentally harm their computer.

So is this wish essentially to have a version of the Firewall/Defense+ popups which are designed for advanced users to more easily create generalized (or specific) rules directly from the popup? If so, can you post a screenshot of how another program has this laid out? That should be very helpful in helping myself, and others, understand how this may be laid out.

Also, an option like this would need to be disabled by default. Providing a novice with options like this could seriously harm their computer, if it doesn’t already scare them away. :wink:

Thanks.

Yes. Well.
Probably, the popup should unfold in a large box when the user clicks detailed settings

If so, can you post a screenshot of how another program has this laid out?

AppArmor is a console program.
aa-genprof utility screenshots in attachement

№1 - aa-genprof greeting
№2 - request permission to read console: select from several predefined options or directly read permission
№3 - similarly, a request to the file
№4 - similarly, a request to the file. option №12 appears after you press G
№5 - after you press a key several times G (G - glob command)
№6 - similarly, a request to the file. option №12 appears after you press E (E - glob ext command)
Mod edit: Added quote tags, Captainsticks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

yes
Mod edit: Added quote tags, Captainsticks.

Do you know of any software which does this through a popup, like what CIS currently uses?

Thanks.

No, I don’t known.

Okay, let’s not worry about that. I have edited your first post, and changed the title. Let me know what you think. If everything is okay I will forward this to the Waiting Area for voting.

Thanks.

All correct.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now reset the poll and moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.

Maybe something similar to this?

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/guide/resources/snapshots/outpost/99.gif

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/guide/resources/snapshots/outpost/100.gif

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/guide/resources/snapshots/outpost/101.gif

I seem to remember that even PC Tools firewall had a similar “create advanced rule(s)” window. (?)
Not sure if Sygate Pro had this kind of expanded options as well, but could well have been that way. 10 years ago…

Kind regards, REBOL.

I would prefer something more similar to what I is specified in the command line example

The Outpost window was very uncomfortable. It is not allowed to set rules without restrictions

In addition, COMODO does not work with domain names. Still need IP

Would something like that be more ok?

https://www.deerbrook.com/downloads/sysreqs/sygate10.gif

Kind regards, REBOL.

It is would not liked

See attachement.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sorry, I’m not “totally” sure about what exactly you tried to explain to me here. :frowning:

Regarding your attachment, I have to confess: my capabilities of reading Cyrillic script are “somewhat” limited, please excuse me, I’ll try to do my best, though :wink:
Would it be possible for you to further elaborate on this in - hopefully - English, or perhaps even German language? (not really necessary to do so, but who knows?)

Kind regards, REBOL. :slight_smile:

I guess, what you meant, was an extended, expandable popup window?
In fact, CIS already has got somewhat expandable popup windows.
So you’d like an additional “downwards” arrow to further advance the options for (as of now) missing “expert” options, if I got that right?
Am I interpreting that correctly?

Kind regards, REBOL. :slight_smile:

No way for simple create a NEW rule from the window

If I load yandex.ru page, no simple way for create new rule for “yandex.ru:80” or “yandex.ru:[80;443]” or “yandex.ru:[all]”.

What’s the difference, how it will be implemented. If only this could be done quickly and easily.