loosing IP

Hi

Why I’m loosing my IP address from time to time (about 15minutes) and cannot receive it back from DHCP until set security level to ‘allow all’? What should I do? My configuration: winxp prof.

Please help

I think, You should see “Activity”-“Logs”. Probably You’ve blocked something. And in logs You can see what is it.

Do a search on the forums for “bootp” and “DHCP”. You need to set up two additional rules for port 167 outbound and 168 inbound so the DHCP server can lease and re-lease the IP to you.

hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

167 and 168. What DHCP server are you running? :wink:

:slight_smile:

Btw, shouldn’t CPF allow port 68 in because the connection attempt was made first to port 67? (DHCP Server)

DOH! 67 and 68 are the correct port numbers.

I believe that 67 is for requests originating from your PC and 68 is for requests originating from the DHCP server, and the response port is allocated from above port 1056. Am I correct?

ewen :slight_smile:

I think DHCP is the only service (that I know of) that uses static ports (i.e L:67, R:68) to communicate. I’m thinking back to when I used SKPF4 and had a packet filter rule setup this way. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember having more than two rules. The other being a DHCP broadcast.

:slight_smile: