Locked out of file/directory permissions. All marked Read Only [Solved]

Good Day…

I installed Free Comodo Antivirus yesterday. Today, I find I can not access my files and directories, except to read them. All my files and directories a marked ‘Read Only’. The field is grayed out. It appears as if I am changing the permissions, however after doing so, when I recheck properties, it is unchanged. My file browser has a narrow bright green boarder around it. I dont know how the border got there. Did Comodo Antivirus do it?? I AM logged in as Administrator. I have not installed anything else in over 2 months.

PLEASE HELP ME!! haha OMG I have hundreds of photos to deal with!

Peace and Thanks for ANY help!! :slight_smile: Lynlee
Mod edit: Added solved to the topic title, Captainsticks.

Try rebooting your computer. It looks CAV is sandboxing programs it should not be sandboxing.

Much thanks for responding Eric…

I did a cold reboot yesterday, hoping this would solved the issue. I then
Rt clicked the icon > Auto-Sandbox > Settings. I UNchecked 'Enable Auto-
Sandbox. I again rebooted. The green boarder disappeared from around my
file browser, and I hope the other proggies. I then tried to change the
permissions again of a directory. Still ‘Read-only’ in properties. of the
directory, still grayed out. So I still cant change the permissions on
directories that must be renamed or deleted. HOWEVER, the Read-only
permission on all the files is no longer set. Unfortunatly I still cant
rename the files, since they are in a Read-Only Directory.

Next, Rt clicked CAV > Open… > Sandboxed Apps: > UNCHECKED 4 apps I have
used for a long time, without problems. I then Rebooted. Still No Joy!!

I MUST get this situation resolved. I seriously need control of my file
system.

As it stands, Sand-box and HIPS are disabled, as above. I dont see the place
to set the general overall security level… IE: Shared Computer = High. I
believe that is what I set. I am now rethinking my degree of paranoia… :expressionless:

I did read the Sandbox help below your suggestion. I didnt see an answer to
my issure.

Again, much thanks for your response… Lynlee

What file browser are you using? What happens when you try to change the Read Only directory?

You may need to take ownership of the folder to change the Read Only property. Please follow: Take Ownership of file | Vista Forums .

Good Day Eric…

I went to Take Ownership of file | Vista Forums. I am running Win7 Professional. The instructions didn’t match what I was seeing after the ‘click Properties’, step 2…

Out of total frustration, I did a system restore to 10-1. The same day I installed CAV, but before it was installed. NO LUCK! So I believe Comodo is out of my system, but the ENTIRE file system was NOT returned to its previous state. /sob I can NOT rename/move/edit files or directories. This is a very serious issue. I have work to do!!

What file browser are you using?<
My file browser is ‘Powerdesk v 9.0 Professional’, by Avanquest and is up to date. Windows Explorer has exactly the same behavior.

from my 1st Post: The field is grayed out. (Ad:IE: only the read-only check box is greyed. The other permissions are not.) It appears as if I am changing the permissions, however after doing so, when I recheck properties, it is unchanged. <
Further details: 1st I select a directory by Rt clicking, then select properties. After clicking the greyed out ‘Read-only’ check-box, the check-mark disappears, as if it ‘took’ and the check-box is no longer greyed out. I click ‘Apply’ or ‘OK’ at the bottom of the properties window of the directory. A pop-up opens (the 'Confirm Attribute Changes) asking if I want to ‘Apply changes to this folder only’, (which is grayed out) AND ‘Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files’, which is selected by default. I Click ‘OK’. The Pop-up closes. I close the Properties window with the read only selection still not checked (or marked NOT read-only). Finally, to check, I reopen the directory of the previously selected directory by Right clicking the directory name, and select ‘Properties’. The check-mark for read-only has returned and is grayed out. I hope that is clear… haha It is not a procedural error on my part. I have been computing since the Vic-20 (1985). Not that THAT means anything today… :wink:

Please, help me find an answer…

Peace… Lynlee

Hi Lynlee,
You could try the instructions posted in the external link below.
Please create a restore point before and use the command at your own risk.
Windows 7 How do I restore security settings to the default settings?-Answers.Microsoft

Kind regards.

Captainsticks beat me with another solution.

After step 2 you have to go to the Security tab and follow the instructions from there. Do you have a Security tab?

Your problem looks like it is an ownership issue. If that is the case you will have to go through the motions of becoming owner before you will be allowed to change the Read Only property.

Do you recall making any changes to your system around the time the folder properties got changed to Read Only? Did you install a program? You can check Programs and Features by looking at installation date of programs. You may need to enable the installation date column. Click right on any of the column headers to add installation date column.

Hmm thought I posted this on the 6th. Since it didnt show up when I checked back, I decided to try again… :wink:

Thank you both, Captainsticks and Eric, for your response…

My Problem is solved… The Win website did it. I wish I had thought of it…
/doh I think Panic makes you dumb. ::snicker::

Eric… >After step 2 you have to go to the Security tab and follow the
instructions from there. Do you have a Security tab?<
NO security tab! :wink:

Eric… > Do you recall making any changes to your system around the time the
folder properties got changed to Read Only? <
No I didnt… I keep a very lean machine… I have not installed anything in
over 2 months… I Checked ‘Your Uninstaller!’ which has dates installed and
last used… Mozilla Firefox was reinstalled on 8-8-2015 & the one before that
was 4-4-2015…

I’m afraid to try CAV again. Im not to partial to CLOUD. I like to keep my
stuff on my computer… I dont like people snooping in my dresser drawers even if I wear
Long-johns. So, I was ambivalent about Comodos ‘wonderful’ cloud use, even if it’s faster.

Eric Thank you so VERY much for your time and patience… Captainsticks… you
helped bring me back from blind panic… ::blush::

Ta Ta… Peace… Lynlee

Hi Lynlee,
Good to hear the issue is solved. :-TU

Kind regards.