local computer ip address changes

Three weeks ago, I installed cfw and all was well. However, over the last 2 weeks, my local computer which is part of a small home network (hardwired through a dsl router) is changing it’s ip address randomly. It changes to 169.254.174.94. I’ve searched the ip and it originates in usa, but is unattainable. What I’m wondering is, is cfw doing this, I ask this because to repair the connection, I have to close cfw as it locks the ip. Has anyone else come across this before?

Thanks in advance

CAN_DO

Hi CAN_DO, welcome to the forums.

According to DNS Stuff’s WHOIS that IP is part of reserved block for RFC 3330. A search says that RFC3330 & this IP is…

169.254.0.0/16 - This is the "link local" block. It is allocated for communication between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain these addresses by auto-configuration, such as when a DHCP server may not be found.

So, I don’t think CFW is doing this… well not directly anyway. But, its possible that CFW could be blocking something that is provoking either your router or system to do this. Is there anything in CFWs Log?

Edit: I’d like to move this topic to the Help section. It will get better coverage there. OK?

thank you for the response, and you can move to help that would be great.

Yes, I’ve just started getting this problem again. It started yesterday but I’ve had it in the past. I get an IP with 169..., and i have to disable and then re enable my modem to get it to connect. Sometimes i have to turn off the firewall while its reconnecting or it just gives me the 169... again.

It’s starting to get very annoying. (:AGY)

Hi northener

If you’re able to reproduce this problem, could you please post the relevant CFW Log entries to here. And please remember to mask any private data. Thanks.

Looking at my log file briefly it looks as though its svchost.exe causing the problem. And looking at the time of my problem which was about 8.20am it was svchost.exe. Since i changed my firewall settings it hasn’t happened again.

Originally i had blocked it due to trojan possibility but decided to allow it as it was a genuine Microsoft file, and i haven’t had a problem since i posted. Hope it helps.

(:WIN)

Here’s a sample…

Date/Time :2006-11-22 08:19:06
Severity :High
Reporter :Application Monitor
Description: Application Access Denied (svchost.exe:169.254.62.143:1053)
Application: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
Parent: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
Protocol: UDP In
Destination: 169.254.62.143:1053

Severity :High
Description: Application Access Denied (svchost.exe:169.254.62.143:ntp(123))
Destination: 169.254.62.143:ntp(123)

Severity :Medium
Description: Application Access Denied (svchost.exe:169.254.62.143:upnp-mcast(1900))
Destination: 169.254.62.143:upnp-mcast(1900)

CAN_DO and northerner69,

it looks like your machines are unable to acquire an ip address via dhcp from your router. You may not have the necessary network rule setup to assign an application rule to svchost to do this. First, open a command line by: Start->Run , then type ipconfig /all You should get a valid ip such as 192.168.1or0.xx.

If not, check your network rules for something like UDP, in/out, local host any, local port 67/68, remote host any, remote port 67/68. You need this rule (or similar, not at home to verify) in order for you router to assign a valid ip to your machine. Any ip starting with 169.254 indicates this problem.

Have you made “a new trusted network” in security/tasks?

I think that I’ve resolved my problem. because the net work is hardwired, and I work on other peoples computers, it seems that every time I disconnected and reconnected a comp from the network, the address would change. Don’t know for sure if this was the cause, but for the last couple of weeks the adress has remained correct. Thank you for all your help

CAN_DO