Latest comdo firewall has frozen up my computer-windows 7.

Hi folks,

I have been using comodo firewall (not the full antivirus package, just the firewall) for quite a while now on windows 7 32 bit and love it, the cloud virus detection etc.

I am using it along with avast anativirus.

The latest update to comodo which I installed yesterday has frozen up my computer when I reach the desktop at startup. I tried to uninstall comodo but to no avail.

Luckily I have an acronis backup of windows so reinstalled that and have disabled the update notification on comodo, so as to continue to use the old version of comodo.

I have tried two times to install the update to comodo and while it does update I have all these problems when windows 7 restarts again, so I am going to pass on the comodo update for now.

Any advice as regards what is causing this would be appreciated and a solution. I have tried all the stuff like starting in safe mode etc, but no good.

Many thanks,
Joe

I got bsod suddenly on boot sometimes until i uninstalled avast. Short prior to comodo version 7 though. Comodo wasnt set to get any updates. So i assume avast was changed somehow.

i had frozen windows 7 64bit after the update
had to Poewe OFF ON the PC
then every thing was slow, FW did crash diagnosis could not fix it
after reboot FW did crash diagnosis found no error and FW did start manualy
i use avira, netgear genie is running too, but no cloud stuff at all also not in comodo settings

Yep, I have ruined my system with automatic update of COMODO too. Automatic updater is not function properly >:-D I did go back with system restore, uninstalling manually previous version, cleaning with CC , then installing a new version of Comodo.
win 7 home, 64 bit.

Manually remove comodo firewall, you can find the uninstall guide on this forum and do a clean install of version 7.

Had some random Windows 7 x64 freezes and nothing to do but reboot.

Nothing in windows respond, but the keyboard led (num lock, caps locks) respond and the mouse move … but it’s the only thing, clicking ain’t working.

After a “big” while some Comodo popup appear, but still can’t click and nothing responds → so REBOOT

After using Comodo problem free for the last several years, it’s with great sadness that I report having the same system freeze issues.

Over the last couple of months, my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit would freeze randomly…while using it, and while the system was idle. I checked the Event Viewer, which gave me no information, scanned my system for malware using various anti-malware programs, uninstalled Firefox (after I heard numerous complaints about it freezing systems recently), tested my memory, tried different mouse/keyboard, and finally went so far as to reformat and reinstall Windows. All to no avail. I then uninstalled Comodo and installed a different suite and ta da!!! Problem free for the last few days!

Did you try the latest version. It may solve the problem with freezes that you’re witnessing:

I have CIS v7.0.317799.4142 installed under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
It causes computer freeze, especially I login to computer or unlock computer by login. I do use AVG Antivirus Free Edition 2013.
Freeze slows down the computer until I can not to other thing, than reboot.

I also notice same effects as others described:

• “Over the last couple of months, my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit would freeze randomly…”
  • “Had some random Windows 7 x64 freezes and nothing to do but reboot. Nothing in windows respond, but the keyboard led (num lock, caps locks) respond and the mouse move … but it’s the only thing, clicking ain’t working.”
  • “i had frozen windows 7 64bit after the update had to Power OFF ON the PC then every thing was slow, FW did crash diagnosis could not fix it”
  • “The latest update to comodo which I installed yesterday has frozen up my computer when I reach the desktop at startup.”

All these effects also describes my computer freeze symptoms.

Please fix this bug as soon as possible, because it makes the computer unusable.

I confirm that CIS v7.0.317799.4142 hasn’t fixed those issues … had to switch to Private Firewall in the meantime …

After reading all the good reviews etc etc, I installed comodo free firewall ( cfw installer 573283.exe) last night anticipating a safer working win 7 ultimate system. Unfortunately it’s now so safe, my PC don’t even want me to login.

I had avg with avg secure browser search installed, and with comodo install I selected comodo search as well which de-activated my avg protection. Installation went smooth until I had to restart to complete it & viola, here it hangs on a black screen.

The only way i can access my system is with safe mode & I tried restoring and uninstalling comodo but it does not help, every time I login I can go no further than the black screen & have to try safe mode again.

As far as the installation went I did nothing wrong, I’m STUCK PLEASE HELP !!!

Hi and welcome Sonderbar,
There is some advice in the link below consisting of using removal tools which may help with the failed Install/Uninstall.
Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems

Kind regards.

Hi captainsticks, thank you for your quick reply & the help link.

IT HELPED AND YOU SAVED ME A BIG HEADACHE ;), I did a complete uninstall of all my other security software, and I again can get into my system. Definitely seems as if comodo is not so fond of working together with AVG.

I did not download the removal software on your link & just please advise, it seems as if comodo is totally off my system, but I’m scared it still left some traces that could cause problems. Do you suggest I download and run the removal tools in any case ?

Again thank you, I appreciate your help !!!

Captainsticks thanks Chiron did advise to run the tools in any event.

You guy’s rock !!!

I have a similar issue on XP: everytime I launch or use some software, CIS do something at system level, slowing all activities. After few minutes it comes back to idle, and then restart if I launch another software.
Is there a corrective on going?

Of course if I remove Comodo everything works fine.
I have tried a complete and clean reinstall: same behaviour.
Isn’t it the same for everybody?

Can you see what process is using up resources? As always make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of “strange effects”. Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: ESET Knowledgebase .

Do you other security programs installed that run in the background together with CIS?

I have used procmon. The one who blocks the system is “system”, always reading CIS key (so I think it is a hook of CIS in system process).
Regarding the other post, I think i’m not the only one with this issue.