KAV conflicts with comodo? just got a letter from KAV

I’ve been having a lot of trouble since downloading the kav trial. anyone else have issues with KAV/comodo? I just tried the KAV anti-virus, not the security suite.

I’m sorry that you haven’t gotten a reply before now. Unfortunately the
Comodo firewall conflicts with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.

As you know, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 does NOT have a firewall, but
Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 does include all of the features of
Anti-Virus 6.0 plus a firewall (Anti-Hacker), anti-spam and anti-spy tools.

The following firewalls should be compatible with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0:
. Agnitum Outpost Firewall 1.0 (1.0.1817.1645)
. Outpost Firewall 1.0 SDK (1.0.1202.0558)
. Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2.1 (2.1.303.314)
. Agnitum Outpost Firewall 2.5 (2.5.369)
. Agnitum Outpost Firewall 2.6 (2.6.452)
. Agnitum Outpost Firewall 2.7 (2.7.485.412)
. EZ Firewall (6.1.7)
. McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.0 (2004)
. McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5 (2005)
. ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5 (5.5.094.000)
. ZoneAlarm 5.5 (5.5.094.000)

G’day,

Now, they wouldn’t be saying that just to get you to buy their firewall would they? :wink:

There are hundreds of Comodo users that are using KAV as their AV application. I really can’t understand why they would say that CFP conflicts with KAV.

AVP.EXE requires the following ports;

25, 80, 81, 82, 83, 110, 119, 143, 443, 1080, 1110, 7900, 8080, 8088, 3128, 11523

Setting up an Application Monitor rule for AVP.EXE for these ports will allow traffic for WWW, FTP, SSL, SMTP, POP, NNTP and IMAP (and if you understand all those acronyms, you won’t need help setting up the rule. LOL).

If you are going to manually create the rule, please make sure you have deleted any auto-created entries that exist for KAV prior to creating the manual rule.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Now, they wouldn't be saying that just to get you to buy their firewall would they?
I don't know ;D. Mcafee 2007 (not 2006) was the worst in wanting constant access to the internet, and KAV was almost as bad. I don't mind updating AV every 24 or 48 hours if it's necessary, I just want to know, when it's updating and what is updating. With auto-updates turned off, KAV, Mcafee and prevex1 were still trying to contact their servers almost every surfing moment, and through many different ports. This bothers me. I've just downloaded Nod32/trial, and removed KAV with their "uninstall tool" (yes, they have one) and Nod doesn't seem to want to constantly access the 'net all the time like the others, but for some reason after the Nod download, I'm having trouble with the component monitor letting FF access the internet. I've only got a few components blocked, and I've turned them on both one by one, and then on/altogether (all components allowed) and for some reason (after the Nod32 download) FF won't connect unless I turn the component monitor on to learn. Then, no problem. With the component monitor on learn, do the network control rules as well as logging still work? I like comodo, but it can be a real pain at times.

I’ve been using CFP for around 12 months now and my component monitor and application monitors only got turned from “learn” to “on” about a month ago. Regardless of the state of these monitors, the network monitor is the lynchpin that they all operate under.

In a nutshell, the component and application monitors determine WHAT is trying to get out and its preferred communication means. The network monitor determines HOW things get in or out or if they are blocked. You can add all the applications you want to the application monitor, but if there isn’t a network monitor rule that satisfies its required connection methods, then it ain’t going nowhere.

KAV and McAfee are very persistent in gaining, or attempting to gain, an internet connection, aren’t they? NOD is much better, and several hundred CFP users on this forum report great succes using the combo CFP/NOD.

I don’t know that I’d describe CFP as a pain. It’s definitely different to a lot of other firewalls and it can be a bit “chatty” for the first few weeks (but no more so than any other learnable firewall).

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Again KAV latest version and Comodo here, not one issue, stable and conflict free.