Kaspersky Security Scan – Results

How accurate is the following information (I used “Quick Scan”, as the “Full Scan” feature doesn’t work)?

Is there an automatic way to amend what the scan has detected?:

System protection (0)

Malware (0)

Vulnerabilities (0)

Other issues (9)

"Autorun from hard drives is allowed"
"Autorun from network drives is enabled"
"CD/DVD autorun is enabled"
"Removable media autorun is enabled"
"Microsoft Internet Explorer - disable caching data received via protected channel"
"Microsoft Internet Explorer: disable sending error reports"
"Microsoft Internet Explorer: clear the list of trusted domains"
"Microsoft Internet Explorer: enable cache autocleanup on browser closing"
"Microsoft Internet Explorer: start page reset"

“Your computer is at risk – PROBLEMS FOUND”, but when I clicked on “More Info”, I got a page in Russian, which I couldn’t understand. The “Details” section is in English.

Regarding the automatic way to amend what the scan has detected from what I know you can’t. You have to do it manually the same for the full KIS. You better post this topic here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=237

You dont need more info. Its all there :slight_smile:
These are all settings which you can disable/enable.
If you dont find a particular one, type it in teh internet.
“How to …?”

It’s a shame there’s no automatic way to correct these things, to save time and as I’m a novice, but I’ll make a note of the Kaspersky link.

It is, but I’m a novice, so trying to determine whereabouts in the program to adjust these functions isn’t that easy.

Unless I find them directly within Internet Explorer, I’ll search for all or the required ones individually on the Internet.

Despite Kaspersky Security Scan not working in the Complete Scan mode (it remains stuck at “0%”, despite waiting several minutes), which I hope they’ll correct in their next release, the Quick Scan was very thorough and very useful, covering requirements that my other programs had missed.

Possibly the scan stayed there (0%) due to trying to update AV / Scanner definitions / rules in the background. The Security Scan is very nice BUT it only tells you about errors / malware and does not remove them; you have to purchase a paid commercial product to do that (or manually remove / fix the problems yourself).

I’ve tried Kaspersky twice and it won’t budge from 0% on the Complete Scan, but I have a few different programs to cover malware, viruses, etc, so hopefully my computer is clean and I can resolve the problems of Kaspersky’s results.

Autorun is a feature that, upon checking online, is best uninstalled, but it’s apparently needed for some programs and each site I look on, users are finding they can’t restore it, so I want to be very careful here.

The Security Scan is useful but it doesn’t say whereabouts in the program the areas are that I need to amend, so I’ll have to work my way through these procedures so my computer’s security is increased to the optimum.

Agree +1. Novice or not it’s frustrating searching for such settings and what if you have more of them? Say 30? Not good. And the whole point of it is the automatic fix that’s what you expect.

I’m sure they can help you in the Kaspersky forum. You can enable or disable autorun. You can restore/enable it back. You can’t uninstall it. Security Scan info is good but it covers only basics of the security.

I would say it this way:

Isnt it great that you get a “to do list”?
I had to do it without such a list on my own :smiley:

It felt easy. What do i want? Where is the setting?
Done.
:wink:

Thanks for your advice about the Kaspersky forum.

However, on reflection, as Kaspersky’s Security Scan has a fault in the current version preventing the Complete Scan facility from working, and I noticed it hogged up 5 GB of my computer memory, I’ve since deleted it.

As I no longer use Internet Explorer, the only relevant parts of the 9 Kaspersky findings would be the Autorun.

It’s very reassuring that autorun can be enabled or disabled after all. This is the thing, wrong information on some other web sites makes it difficult to know what is correct.

I agree.

Good to see you had success. :smiley:

A “To Do” list is an excellent idea that helps notify users when any issues need sorting, provided the details are thorough and not cryptic. I prefer to fix issues automatically, wherever possible, both to save time and to avoid accidentally deleting a vital registry component. I have only ever rarely deleted a small amount of persistent malware that wouldn’t remove automatically from the registry. Otherwise, I stay well clear of the registry.

As we all have different levels of knowledge from novice to expert on how easy or difficult it is to carry out tasks, what one person can do easily another can’t, especially novices, and not everyone wants to spend loads of time correcting computer issues. Novices are less experienced so instructions that say something needs sorting need to be more specific on How to sort them, especially if there were a multitude of issues to sort. Seany007 has made an excellent point. It would be very time consuming having to deal with a bundle of issues,and I no longer use Internet Explorer.

Internet is giving you answers.
Learn to ask it.

“Disable auto run windows”
“Disable error reports internet explorer”

Why do you want something to support your “not-knowing”?
Smart are those who do not stop to learn.

I think, kaspersky want to avoid accusings for automatic “fixing” choices.
So they tell you what is a choice.

Paranoia won’t really do you much good. Redundant scanners don’t do much at all.

Autoruns are not necessary. See this post

If you want maximum security, your keywords for searching would be

harden windows

I’m not against automatic, but I would prefer a degree of control as in notifying me first of what they are and exactly what is involved (so I could research the necessity of the fix). I dislike false positives a lot.

It’s really not about the level of experience. It’s about how willing we are to learn. Reading is a start.

I would want something to support my “not knowing”, as I am a novice and up to several aspects are better suited to Advanced users. If choices are cryptic, they don’t give the answers to the solutions.

We are all smart, but we can’t possibly know Everything about all aspects of computing, it would take forever to go through the ins and outs of everything and take the fun out of computing, and what we all choose to proceed with depends on different factors, including what is best for us, our knowledge, our prerogatives of what is within and outside of our scopes and time. Not everyone wants to be spending hoards of time figuring out what cryptic scan results mean, especially if a large number. What one person knows another doesn’t, and vice versa, and this forum is invaluable for finding many answers. At the end of the day, it is entirely up to us individually how little or much we deal with our computers and whether we choose to do things automatically or manually.

Nobody is making accusations for automatic “fixing” choices, I just prefer to adjust settings and clear out malware, etc that is of a more complex nature automatically, rather than going into the registry, except as a very last resort, as I’ve needed to on occasions, where persistent malware has not been removed automatically.

No. I’m not paranoid, just cautious that anything which needs fixing on my computer is fixed safely, whether manually, or preferably automatically. Generally, I fix things manually, but not if things are of an advanced nature whereby I could put my computer’s operation at risk.

Kaspersky’s security scanner’s current version only works in the Basic scan mode, I no longer use Internet Explorer and Autorun is all that remains to fix so I’ve since deleted Kaspersky, which uses a lot of resources.

Thanks for the link to information about autoruns.

Through knowledge, I have further increased my computer’s security to the optimum since last week upon finding persistent malware. There are way too many aspects to computing for one person to learn everything about, but useful to find out and proceed with what is relevant.

I, also prefer to have a degree of control as in notifying me of the ins and outs, provided they’re within my capabilities. I only ever manually delete registry keys, if they are malware that won’t delete automatically, always safely upon very careful checking. Otherwise, I prefer automatic removal of such threats.

I also dislike false positives, but have generally been free of them in the programs I’ve used.

In my opinion, it is about the level of experience. I am very willing to read and learn, but to be honest, it is up to us as individuals to decide for ourselves what we choose to do and don’t deal with, and engineers, especially have lots of knowledge about technical aspects of computing, whereas novices don’t. When it comes to anything complex, I prefer to exercise caution, as to do so otherwise would be reckless and put my computer at risk, which I’m not prepared to do.