Just curious about development of the firewall?

I know it’s an odd question, but has it even been considered to open source the firewall? To my knowledge there has never been a good open source firewall for windows before.

I have wondered about that, i’m sure Melih could comment.

Why?
The Comodo products are there to promote (if you can call it that) the core business of the company. What’s the use of making it open source? And I’m sure it would do the development of the program any good either. Comodo are very fast at doing that and with many open source programs, well, development depends on 2, 1, or 0 programmers…

It’s been asked before. Silence in this case seems to imply “no” to open-source.

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7317.0.html

In that scenario, the “argument” for open-source is not necessarily for the product being “free” but more of a wysiwyg sort of thing - everyone has access to the code (open source), so “anyone” can verify that it is what it says it is. Add on top of that that “anyone” can modify it for their own purpose, as long as credit is given. They say this makes it more secure; if everyone can see and verify the code, malware developers can’t exploit it, because anyone could see it and stop it.

As I understand it, open-source does not mean that the final product is free of charge (you can charge for compiling it into a user-friendly program, for example), only that the source-code is available free…

LM

we don’t have any intentions to make it an open source at this stage.

thanks
Melih

Guys,

Doesn’t it make more vulnerable to threats. Fixing up loopholes is easy since million minds are better than one. But it also apply to the people with “not so good” intentions correct!

That’s one of the reasons - trust. If an application has a single known trusted source, the possibility of code ■■■■■■■■■■ is almost eliminated. Making it open source opens it up to whatever purpose any number of authors have in mind.

Besides, Comodo have invested a great deal of money and intellect in the product. They have every right to protect their investment.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Reverse Engineering an executable and program is never impossible, because of one reason. The code has to be readable by the Processor hence the code has to be in machine code form for the computer to be able to do what it says.

So having a program closed source actually provides VERY VERY little protection overall when thrown against a person that has too much time on his/her hands and has the skills to do so. (Time is the biggest hindrance, going through a user mode or kernel dump is not necessarily hard but very boring).