Just a Day

I was a Comodo user for one day, yes one day… Why?

I was a user of Bitdefender for 3yrs, but heard a lot about Comodo so thought I’d try it out, I signed up for Comodo Internet Security Complete 2012, installed fine, scan was clean etc., today I ran a weekly scan with Kaspersky TDSS which found 7 threats, I never clicked clean, just closed it and ran Comodo CCE this found 54 threats, 12 where false positives (software I had uninstalled), so I clicked on to geek buddy and got Danny, he asked me to click the link and he checked the log, nothing else, clicked clean and it rebooted. Well, it cleaned 14 threats all the others failed, I logged back to geek buddy and Danny told me it was my fault as I had run Kaspersky TDSS I told him I never used it to clean. After a pause he said all is okay, but if I wanted I could run another full CCE scan. I rebooted and fatal MBR error, he had damaged the kernel drive, I could not boot, nor access safe mode, or the system restore partition.

I am a junior doctor and need a laptop, I have three presentations next week, so I write this message on a new laptop which cost me just over £1200 the old laptop, well that was 2 months old. I thought geek buddy was tech support, I would rather pay Norton £100.

One day, turned in to ruin, plus cost me…………. Tony.

im sorry to hear about this. I dont think it was necessary to buy a new computer. It sounds like your operating system may have been damaged which could be fixed but thats over a done with. As for geekbuddy, this in my opinion us unexceptable behavior. Melih (the CEO) has even stated the CCE is a very powerful tool and in the wrong hands can cause a lot of damage. Idk y geekbuddy is telling people to just clean whatever it finds. I also dont get why your geekbuddy thought it was bad you used TDSS killer. When cleaning malware it is best practice to use mutiple scanners.

Hi Tony:

Our apologies for any inconvenience. Please write us an e-mail to geekbuddysupport@comodo.com and include your order #, subscriber ID or license key. Using this information we will be able to track the intervention with Danny and take a closer look at this issue and the necessary actions.

GeekBuddy Management Team

Problems with the mbr?

Do you have windows 7

If it’s windows 7, then (Most people Won’t have a installation disk (Computer company’s save a few pennies by not providing the installion disc >:( , which would be the quick and simple way, so here’s how to do it without the Installation disk)

Things You'll Need
1GB USB drive
Second computer running Windows 7</blockquote>

Then

1. Insert the USB drive into another computer and run a command prompt window by typing "cmd" into the search box of the "Start" menu and hitting "Enter."
  1. Enter “mkdir X:\boot,” and “mkdir X:\boot\sources” where X is the drive letter of your USB drive.

2. Type “cd” and press the “Tab” key once, then hit “Enter.”

3. Enter “xcopy /H boot.sdi X:\boot,” “xcopy /H Winre.wim X:\sources\boot.wim,” “xcopy /H c:\windows\boot\dvd\pcat\bcd X:\boot,” “xcopy /H c:\windows\boot\dvd\pcat\en-US\bootfix.bin X:\boot,” and "xcopy /H c:\windows\boot\pcat\bootmgr X:" to copy the necessary files to the USB drive.

4. Enter “attrib -r -s -h /s X:*”

5. Enter “diskpart” to run the DiskPart program, then enter “list disk.” The window lists the drives connected to your computer. Find your USB drive in the list and enter “select disk X”, where X is the letter of your USB drive. Enter “list partition” to see the partitions on the drive and then “select partition X,” where X is the number of the partition listed.

6. Insert the USB drive into your computer and turn the computer on. Allow it to boot from the USB drive. You may have to set your USB drive as a primary boot drive in the computer’s BIOS first. Enter your computer’s BIOS (by tapping Delete or F2 during bootup, on most computers), then put your USB drive at the top of the “Startup” list.

7. Go to the “Startup Repair” option in the “System Recovery Options” window. The “Startup Repair” process should correct your Master Boot Record and allow Windows to boot normally again. You will probably lose access to any other operating systems installed on your computer, though, since this recovery option is only designed to get Windows working again.

If your lucky to have a windows 7 installation disc

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the computer's disc drive and reboot the computer. Press any key to continue when prompted.
  1.    Click the "Repair your computer" option.

2.    Wait for the installer to scan for Windows operating systems on the computer. Select "Windows 7" from the System Recovery Options window that appears and click "Next."

3.    Select "Command Prompt" from the list of recovery options that appears.

4.    Type "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and press the "Enter" key. After the process completes, the computer reboots.</blockquote>

Thanks for the replies. I had only run Kaspersky TDSS, I never used it to clean, nor would I take one scan result, especially rootkit scans/false positives. It was the geek buddy guy who clicked clean, even though he only looked through the results for max 30 seconds. No, I do not have a windows disk, I do have one with my new laptop. My IT knowledge it okay, but I need to laptop 24/7, especially as I’m on call this week, my consultant tends to email me ■■■■, then want me to deal with it asap. I will send the info to the geek buddy staff member, although I would never use Comodo again. :-\

I would never buy an installation of an operation system that is only existing on a hard drive. Its bad enough that a harddrive can go damaged. But to lose the operation system with it, is a no go.

Comodo is a really nice and reliable tool to stay virus free.
I could tell some stories on the other hand about “virus removing” which would be like yours, though.

In your case, you acted absolutely right. You even asked a support. And then you had a problem. “Of course” it was caused by “something else” ???.. I wish you good luck that your things get sorted out.
And its also a right idea to get a second opinion of another scanner. Who tells you, thats wrong, is wrong.

I would never use Comodo again
Sorry to hear that and you had a bad experiance with it :'(

I think comodo needs to improve upon repairing the MBR (especially if it’s going to be repaired by remote).

How’s “geekbuddy” supposed to help someone after the MBR fails after cleaning and the computer won’t reboot??
The only thing I can think of is Maybe, if geekbuddy is going to attempt to fix the MBR, create another drive to it can restore back to the way it was before the attempted MBR repair, in case it fails. I don’t know ???

geek buddy on live CD should help. This is the main issue with cleaning remotely, things like this can happen and this is when you need a person there to help. But I think live CD geek buddy would be the answer, go to that then they can use tools to repair the hard drive remotely.

EDIT: I also think that each geek buddy session should have an id so that if you have to reboot you can comeback and keep going with the same person, then once done it can be closed. This should help customers from having to start over and over with a new person.

geek buddy on live CD should help. This is the main issue with cleaning remotely, things like this can happen and this is when you need a person there to help. But I think live CD geek buddy would be the answer, go to that then they can use tools to repair the hard drive remotely.

EDIT: I also think that each geek buddy session should have an id so that if you have to reboot you can comeback and keep going with the same person, then once done it can be closed. This should help customers from having to start over and over with a new person.

+1 :-TU

Hey Languy, I watch your youtube videos learnt a lot!

Where can I get the geek buddy on live CD?

Thanks for the reply - how good is Comodo with protection, as I have a new laptop I would like to have the best?

Tony.

Geek buddy on cd is not available, this is just a suggestion I made. Comodo is great at protection. What happened with the MBR is a known issue when fixing some infections and you have to be prepared for it. I suggest you read this article, it should also apply to windows 7 How to Fix MBR in Windows XP and Vista, or http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/126020-repair-mbr-without-cd.html I take it that you still have the old computer, it is still salvageable.

Kaspersky TDSS won’t crush PC unless it’s a virus itself… Why you used Geek Buddy? And yes don’t use what you don’t know and how…

Everyone will meet the day and happening where he has to learn to make the right steps in the right order while being in stress.
There would have been some better solutions… But everyone is smarter later.

And, before he used something wrongly, he asked support to prevent making mistakes himself. Support made a mistake.

No reason to teachspeak.

True but I’m not doing so called ‘teachspeak’ all I say I would not trust my PC to somebody who I never seen… I don’t care who they are… That’s just me…

No I brought a new laptop, I do not have time (especially as I’m on-call all night) so I need email/access for my research PhD. This is the thing I could not make Danny the GeekBuddy - after yesterday one wonders what kind of training he received, and are they really tech guys!? He eventually did not reply, so I ended the online chat, he was angry as he thought I had fixed the problems with Kaspersky TDSS, but I only scanned the system, I’m no IT expert but even I know, you do not trust one scan, especially when it comes to rootkits. The thing I am amazed about is he looked at the results, never checked my laptop >:(

I see. New laptop? That’s a pain! What if you didn’t have money to get a new one? Tell me about. That’s what I call poor customer service and you have a solid right to be angry if not sue.

Yes, I am lucky that I am in a position to be able to buy a new laptop. Melih has not added his comments on why his tech support cost me over £1289… I want to know, how experienced these people are??? (:AGY)

Why buy a new laptop? The most expensive option should be to buy a W7 CD… an even cheaper option would be to pay someone to fix it for you (PC World for instance).

Correction: If you’re in academia a new W7 Ultimate DVD would cost you no more than £20. So, that’s one of the cheaper options. :slight_smile:

No I’m a junior doctor at King’s College Hospital, London - I am also a research fellow in Neurology, currently finishing my PhD. It may well be the most expensive route, but I do not have a clue about computers etc., and; as for PC World, I’d rather let GeekBuddy help