Junky Context Menu

Ok, I have a ■■■■■ context menu. How do you people clean up your context menus?

By just being smart and disabling all the right click menus in the settings ?

Xan

I like the right-click menu, just I want some stuff removed. 88)

I do it the Comodo way. Prevention before detection, which means that I don’t add anything I don’t need to my context menu.

Do you guys not get it? I installed some programs I need, but they add context menu entries! How do I remove some of them?

No. I don’t get it.

Cheers,
Josh

Some programs add without asking. Luckily I’ve found non-bloated programs so my context menu is perfectly clean, apart from the stuff I actually want there: 7-Zip. Oh, CAV is there as well, and I don’t really see the point in that since the on-access scanner works so well.

Well Jeremy, my tip for you would be Google. Sorry I can’t be more specific. Eh, I can be a little more specific: www.google.com O0

LA

Here’s a start: Removing stuff from context menu - Google Search

Cheers,
Josh

That’s the Aussie Google, remember, Jeremy is in the US. ;D

LA

Just remove the “.au” part. ;D

I had been searching for something, but after trying a few programs and killin the registry again, I found my PC didn’t work so well anymore. (Even System Restore didn’t help.) Good thing I have Acronis…

Look under these keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

I have a pretty junked context menu! :slight_smile: I made it that way. I am accessing all browsers, e-mail client, other anti-malware tools from within context menu, by right-clicking in the desktop. :slight_smile: That way, there is no need to go to the Start Menu or have all shortcuts in the desktop.

Screen shot (:AGL)

LA

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6720/contextmenutt0.th.jpg

I’m just testing Ad-aware beta version!!! OK!!! :smiley: :slight_smile:

Sure you are 88) ;D

So you actually get this menu from right-clicking your desktop or in Windows Explorer? That’s cool. What about right-clicking on a file or folder in Windows Explorer, I guess you’ll get more options? Those program shortcuts, do they remain when right-clicking a file/folder?

LA

From right-clicking my desktop and Windows Explorer (C:\ or any other directory). Right-clicking on a file won’t show it, but it will on a folder.

Anyway, if anyone wants to do it, proceed this way:

1 - Open Windows Registry by going to the Start Menu - Search - write “regedit” (without the quotes). If you have UAC enabled, open it as Administrator.

2 - Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell

3 - Then right-click on empty right-side and chose New- Key. This will create a new Key in the left side. Switch it’s name to anything you would like. Let’s imagine you want to open Opera browser, then why not writing Open Opera Browser! (with/without the ! :smiley: )

4 - Within this new created Key, right-click in the right side (the enormous blank space) and New - Key. Name the new created Key “command” (without the quotes). Then double click in the Default value you can see in the right side.

5 - Open Windows Explorer, C:\Program Files\ [the folder of the application you wish]. In this case we’re on Opera. Open Opera’s folder, then select the process that opens Opera browser, press the Shift key and then right-click on Opera’s process Opera.exe; chose Copy as a path (Something like that. My Windows isn’t english :wink: )

6 - Paste it in the window that was opened in the step 4, where says Value (something like that :wink: ).

That’s it. No need to reboot. Do the same for each app you wish to open from within the context menu.

I don’t like a large context menu, as it is slow to open. :wink:

It takes me less than, I dont know, maybe 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 second to open it? :smiley:

It would also take longer to go the Start Menu.

Anyway, is a matter of elegance :smiley: … I hate all those shortcuts in the Desktop. :slight_smile:

Jeremy,

For Windows 2000, XP
ShellMenuView: Disable / enable context menu items of Explorer

Have fun