Java (tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper scanner hang [M426][v6]

My system is pretty much new :stuck_out_tongue: starting fresh isn’t that much of a change hehe.

@chiron, tried reinstalling it with the tools and a 1001 registry cleaners/manual cleaning and so on so on, no effect, still hangs on java helper.

Just installed the new release, problem still exists :(, it scans the memory just fine until it hits Java helper, scanning anything else works perfectly fine aswell I just can’t run full system scans.

Thank you for checking this.

I’ve updated the tracker.

Fixed with the update that rolled out a couple hours ago.
Nice work guys :-TU

Thanks for checking. I’ll move this to Resolved.

Hey guys,

Previous error has returned, my setup is still the same as the last time I opened a ticket for this problem.

I had to reinstall Comodo because it kept failing on virus DB updates and randomly told me there was an update which ended up being the exact same version as the one I already had.

Reinstall done in order:

Revo uninstalled Comodo
Ran Wise Reg Cleaner after reboot
Ran CCleaner Reg Cleaner after reboot
Ran Comodo uninstall tool according to instructions
Installed the latest Comodo
It started running the initial scan and it hangs on Java ™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper

I can fill out a form again but it’ll be exactly the same as my previous form so it would be kind of redundant… no other programs installed other then keeping everything updated and nothing else changed Comodo wise either, it’s just at the latest virus DB and update now.

Did you have this hang before uninstalling this time?

Also, after reinstalling this did you import any of your old rules, or make any changes to the default configuration?

By the way, I have merged this with the original topic.

Thanks.

Yeah that’s the topic :slight_smile:

I had it right after a fresh install.

Comodo was acting weird for a while and was constantly telling me it had updates which, if I installed them, left me at the same version as before plus my end-point cleaner just stopped as soon as it hit scanning so I figured I’d kick everything off, scrub it and reinstall it. This is the result -_-’ lol.

Because it hung I removed it again and made sure everything was gone, afterwards I reinstalled it but it still hangs on the Java Plugin (it’s been 3 hours and 13 min now).

Java did just have an update yesterday btw, it didn’t seem to cause any problems with my last install but then again, it was kind of bugged out :P.

I didn’t import my previous settings btw, forgot to add that, it is a full fresh install.

Thanks for that information.

Can you please provide me with a list of all of the anti-malware programs which have ever been installed on your system? My instincts are telling me that this is likely not a bug, but instead some sort of interference caused by something else. It’s just a feeling, but I’d like to fully investigate that before forwarding this.

Thanks.

That list is actually fairly short :P.

It’s an Alienware computer so I think Dell installs some half baked form of Mcafee on it that doesn’t really work but allows you to buy it with a discount, I instantly deleted that but that was about a year and a half ago.

Other then that I run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300 with Realtime system protection On but site blocking Off, if it doesn’t really matter if I turn the program on or off though the same Java hang occurs.

Other then that, that’s pretty much it :stuck_out_tongue:

I had something called Exploit shield installed in the past, it prevented Hijacking of your browser but I haven’t had that installed for quite a while either plus it was extremely light weight, I think it wrote a couple of registry keys, it’s basic files and afterwards just monitored things but, as mentioned, I deleted it with Revo unistaller in the past.
I was also running Threatfire, an old product from PCtools, but that’s been gone for atleast a year now aswell.

Can’t find any of the above mentioned in the registry nor in Processhacker’s running processes or services list.

Okay, can you please try running the removal tool for McAfee from this page? Also, if you don’t mind, can you please uninstall Malwarebytes and see if the issue goes away.

Other than that I have no other thoughts for what could be causing this. Thus, if running the removal tool and uninstalling Malwarebytes doesn’t solve the problem please open up KillSwitch. Then, run the scan until it hangs. At that time right-click on KillSwitch and select the option to do a full dump. Then upload that dump file to a file sharing site, such as this one and post a link to it in your first post.

This is a strange problem you are experiencing so I want to make sure that the devs have as much crucial information as possible. That full dump is likely very important for them in terms of discovering, and fixing, whatever is causing this.

Thank you.

Ran the Mcafee cleaner and unistalled Malwarebytes… No dice…
I made a full dump of cavwp so hopefully that helps.

It’s rar-ed and password protected (I hate accurate dumps on storage sites :P) with password “Comodo” (without the quotes), i’ll add the link to the first post aswell.

Thank you very much.

The devs have asked me to make sure that the first post of each bug report contains all of the pertinent information provided throughout the entire post.

Can you please look over the first post and let me know if everything is correct (as I made modifications) and whether you believe any important information is missing? As soon as you are convinced that the first post is correct I can again forward this to the devs.

Thanks.

I made a quick change to the version of Comodo and the Virus database which are currently the latest and the ones in the post where from a few months ago.

Other then that nothing has changed in my setup so the rest is correct :).

Edit: Also added a new killswitch cvs and a new diagnostics file just to be save.

Another Edit: So weird, Comodo is telling me there are program updates which there aren’t since I’m using v6.2.285401.2860… There’s something wrong with that aswell.

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again.

It randomly fixed itself again just like last time, nothing changed but it just suddenly decided to either skip/ignore/scan the file…

The weird thing is that, eventhough normal scans seem to work just fine now, End-point cleaning is totally busted, I let it just scan for viruses, no rebooting or whatever, I notice ProcessHacker mention a new process is created, the window opens, it hangs on 1% for about 3 seconds, it shuts off and ProcessHacker notifies me that the process created is deleted again thus instantly shuts down on scan.

I think that has something to do with the same problem, it can’t process it so it just instantly kicks the bucket. Idk if it dumps somewhere because I could add that, it’s obviously a bug that’s most likely linked to this one.

You mentioned End-Point Cleaning. Are you using CIS or CES?

I will move this to Resolved.

If the issue returns please answer my question in the above post and we can continue from there.

Thanks.

Sorry for the late response, I’ve been away a couple of days.

I’m using CIS and indeed the end-point cleaner instantly shuts down it’s process once it reaches the “virus scan” part both after a full cycle (including the reboot for partition scans) as with everything but the virus scan for volumes disabled (no mem scan etc. etc. just disks).

As for the Java problem, it randomly resolved itself, cause unknown, just like it did last time. That means there is still a conflict with something that usually causes the hang. It most likely just “slipped through” and was able to scan the plugin in that short period.
Thus it works for me now but the root of the problem isn’t fixed, if that makes any sense :P.

Let me know if it returns. If it does, please carefully note anything which may have occurred near to the time of the scanner hang, such as an update, running a program, etc… even if it appears to be entirely unrelated.