It Could/Should Be Easier/Simpler/Clearer

I want to ask why my Comodo installation won’t allow editing of Application Rules. It throws up a window which doesn’t have any tabs for editing.

I need to edit because rules listed there are not being obeyed. I’ve got port forwarding enabled on a port and it is not happening. Switch off Comodo and it happens (proving it is forwarded on the router okay).

So Comodo ( I’ve got Pro version 2.4.19.185 lifetime subscription on a full license applications database version 3) isn’t working properly and it won’t let me make it work properly.

Then I come here for help and find that most of the boards (all except this one) don’t offer me a chance to post a new thread. I had to blunder around for yonks before I found this board I could post on.

Comodo and this forum could all be clearer/simpler without a doubt.

Meanwhile, can anyone, will anyone please help with my problem. Why wouldn’t an application rule work? Why wouldn’t I be able to edit it?

I’m running no other software - i.e. that dreaded windows firewall is not enabled.

My router is working okay, as I said, and it is a Billiton Bipac 5200

regards,

ab

Hi abrogard ,

I am not sure why you could not find or had difficulties posting in any other board.
Probably that needs some clarification.
What’s happening? are you getting some messages that you can attach so can can see?

But anyway, most importantly I’m quite surprised that you could not get responses when reporting a problem. Usually there are many replies.

Another way is to rise a ticket https://support.comodo.com/index.php

Then the version you are using “2.4.19.185” is alegacy version left for systems like win2000. Most likely you have a reason to use the said version.

Now closer to your main question:

I may be wrong because that was long ago but the way of editing the rules was similar to what we have in the latest Firewall version
I hope somebody with better memory will correct me but have a look at the images attached.

Can you be more specific about what you are not able to achieve.

My regards

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you for your reply.

I had the legacy version because I kept pushing the ‘upgrade’ button and it kept telling me there were no upgrades available. So I assumed it was the latest version. Plus I only recently downloaded from the web and I thought I installed, recently therefore, the latest versioin.

All wrong.

I’ve now got the latest version.

So let’s forget all about the old one.

Now my problem is ports that are not open.

Forwarded ports.

I have three applications that are particular because they need ports forwarded. Why they need this when other apps don’t I don’t know. But they do. uTorrent, Broadcam video and one other. Unbelievably I’ve forgotten what it is just now. There you go. I’m going nuts.

Anyway. I forward the ports on my Bipac router quite successfully. No problem. And if I switch Comodo off (this new version of Comodo, same as the old one) then the apps run properly and port checker reports the ports are open.

But if I run Comodo they don’t run properly and Port Checker reports the ports are closed. Not because the apps have them locked. Port Checker reports that. I close the apps and Port Checker still reports they are closed ports.

That is after I have configured the apps in Comodo to use these ports for In/Out TCP to/from my local address. Just the same as I do it in the router.

Now this new Comodo I haven’t added any rules to anything as yet. I’m still learning my way around it. But the little look I did take seems to suggest that the application monitor is set to allow everything in any direction via any port.

The icon reports I have Antivirus in ‘stateful’ , firewall and defence in ‘safe mode’.

Could you please help or direct me to where I can find understandable help.

regards,

ab

Hi abrogard,

Sorry, but found myself lost by your post.
There are several new issues here that are not related to the initial request.

The main thing: are you able to edit existing rules… now ?

As for the port forwarding - yes you have to forward ports in order to use some applications and P2P in particular (setting the latter as Trusted - not recommended)
(a side note: sometimes you can use port triggering)

Why and how? For a start, please read http://portforward.com/

Then there are excellent manuals in this forum regarding the matter Read this

Create the rules accordingly.

======
Testing / closing / making ports stealth
Please use respective keywords and you will find tones of information here

First go Firewall and use the respective options of Stealth Port Wizard.
The rule of thumb - use the last option to stealth all ports and the second one when you are using P2P (taking in account that the riles for the client were already created)

When testing - do not test your router. If you want to be convinced, say when running tests like ShieldsUP! switch of /bypass the router because that is what you are testing and you will not get the correct results

Again Search the forum and you will get all answers needed. You can even request the specific port numbers you are interested in as the Search criteria

I hope that other Guys will answer your question regarding Comodo’s AV.
I was testing it in the past, but I am not using it.

I hope some of the above was helpful

My regards

Hi,

and thanks for your interest.

Now I’ve got the latest version I find the interface much different and I’m lost as to where I define port openings for applications. I just find a place to define a new trusted application and that leads me to a choice of browsing my whole directory structure looking for ‘applications to trust’.

That’s not looking for applications, per se, that’s looking for files.

Anyway, when I pick one (I picked uTorrent) in Program Files it just accepts it and closes the window. What’s happened? I don’t know? Where could I set ports? I don’t know.

Where can I view a list of all these ? I don’t know.

So that relates to my original theme: Comodo could be clearer.

BUT there’s a new thing. Now I’ve got 100% CPU usage from cmdagent and I’ve browsed it on google and it has been a recurring theme since 2007 at least.

I’ve just disabled the registry keys thing and I’ll find out after the next reboot if it works I guess.

BUT in all my googling around looking for help I get adivsed that if I have a router I don’t need a firewall.

AND just in case that’s not exactly true I find my router incorporates a firewall I can switch on if I like.

Considering just what a firewall does I think I’m better off without Comodo and relying on the router and using a good virus/spyware/malware checking regime.

I think many firewalls and Comodo amongst them have lost the plot and complicated and obscured the issues so much that many people are sitting behind firewalls configured to, in fact, be useless.

regards,

ab :slight_smile:

Hi abrogard,

Well, if you decided not to use Firewall because you have a router - my opinion here is you are making big mistake.
You definitely did not read all cons and pros regarding this matter.

You must have strong 3rd party Software Firewall irrespectively
(despite there are opinions that hardware firewall is enough and you can use native windows Firewall that does not control outgoing traffic - I disagree)

As for other issues… It is just a matter of having a will learn how Comodo works

Regarding Trusted vendors and setting up (declaring) trusted Applications that are different things. Moreover I mentioned that it is not recommended (not safe) to set any P2P as trusted, but create a set of rules.

Anyway if you decided not to use Comodo - that is your personal choice - nothing we can do about it

If you reconsider - you will find many if not all answers in the forum

My regards

Yep, well thanks. I take note of your advice and thank you for it and we’ll see what happens.

Currently Comodo is still running (and slowing down my computer enormously) while I await some feedback from the router vendor, see what they seem to think of the whole thing.

‘Create a set of rules’ ? I was kinda suggesting that this new Comodo I’ve got seems to hide where the rule setting is - I was saying all I could find was a place where I set up ‘trusted’ apps and that place was like a black hole inasmuch as it swallowed the window when I clicked okay and that was that: leaving me with no idea what had happened.

Seems to me we’re largely flogging a dead horse, anyway. Basically firewalls block traffic according to rules you’ve set. Or allow traffic according to rules you’ve set. Block and let or Let and block.

So it reduces to a question of what rules you can use.

For the average dumb user that’s precious few.

All of their normal apps must be allowed to function, of course, but so must any apps they decide on the spur of the moment to download and use or any apps they run from the web.

And any of this ‘normal’ traffic can be compromised. Can be Trojan. Can be spurious.

And frequently is. So with both a router and a firewall I still get a fair share of trojans, viruses, adwares and malwares from time to time.

What’s needed is the anti-virus and the anti-trojan and anti-adware and anti-malware more than the firewall.

What’s needed is a clearer understanding of which ‘pipes’ (to coin a phrase) may be bringing dirty stuff into my computer and what forms that dirty stuff might take.

Use a firewall to limit the ‘pipes’. Know which ones I’ve got open and why. Clearly identify what the dangerous areas are within this setup - rather than sit back thinking that now I’ve set up these ‘rules’ and blocks and bars there’s no danger left.

A firewall with a graphical interface showing such ‘pipes’ in dramatic colour perhaps, with legend to explain the dangeers would for instance have a bright red circle for Port 80 and a legend listing numerous dangerous apps with, probably, Internet Explorer at the top of the list.

I talk too much. I always need to leave my writings for a day and editorialise the next day upon which they frequently shrink to nearly nothing. Unfortunately the immediacy of the web and the amount of corresponding one does has claimed so much of my time that I don’t seem to have the time to work that way any more.

I suspect everything I’ve said here would boil down to one thing:

All a firewall can do in the end is restrict traffic to certain ports, IP’s and protocols. ‘Dirt’ can and will still get in regardless of the level of restriction.

Sorry about the verbosity.

regards,

ab