Is there such a feature on CIS?

I recently took PC Flank’s tests, and I was bothered with this result:

[b]Referrer check
Danger! While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information (called ‘referrer’) about previous sites you have visited.

Recommendation
We advise you to get personal firewall software. If you already have a firewall program adjust it to block the distribution of such information (referrer). [/b]

Is there such a feature on CIS that blocks this referrers? If so, could one kindly tell me where is it located? Any help is much appreciated.

Hi.

Saying this is a danger is a bit over dramatising things, it’s more of a privacy issue. Take a look here to see what they ate referring to:

Notice the referrer field at the bottom. Basically, this tells the site you are visiting, where you have come from. In a lot of cases, if you don’t allow this it will break things.

If you really want to hide this information, you will have to check what your browser can support. If you you are using firefox you could edit about:config and change the value of this from 2 to 0

network.http.sendRefererHeader = 0

In Opera browser you can disable referrer logging as well. In Opera go to Tools → Preferences → Advanced → Network.

The problem with this method is some sties lose functionality if they don’t get the referral. There is a Firefox extension called RefControl that lets you allow particular sites to get the referrer as normal. You also have the option to either flat out block the referrer to all pages not specified or forge the referrer header. It can also be set to only alter the referral of third party requests.

I have tried all three suggestions. Thank you for helping me out,once again. ;D