Is the megaupload toolbar safe?

I am downloading episodes of animes and some require me to download and install a mega upload toolbar first. I am just wondering if this is safe. :slight_smile: Anyone tried it?

Megaupload is supposedly a safe entity, but I recommend refusing the installation of any toolbar unless you absolutely need/want the functionality it provides.
Just more extra â– â– â– â–  in your registry, IE will load slower, etc.
I have the Roboform toolbar and that’s it.

Just say no to toolbars! :-TD

Edit:
If you really want those animes, go to vmware.com and download a copy of VMWare Server. It’s free.
Use that and create a virtual machine, install your toolbar in the VM and then transfer the files back to your real environment.
Virtual machines may a completely foreign concept for you, so you may need to devote a little time to learning about it, but you’ll be better off in the long run.
Virtual Machines are also good for torrents, checking out warez, and testing cracks, although I don’t recommend the last two activities. 8)

Regards,
Alex.

Its just so sad coz a lot of the animes I need to download require the toolbar to be installed first. :cry:

Well like I said, I don’t recommend toolbars, but the VM route is a hassle, and I have used megaupload services for about two years now without a problem, just not the toolbar…
So if you really want to, go ahead; it won’t be installing any rootkits, viruses or trojans, if that is your only concern.

You could try sandboxie.
Dennis

Sandboxie: a transient storage area, or sandbox. Data flows in both directions between programs and the sandbox. During read operations, data may flow from the hard disk into the sandbox. But data never flows back from the sandbox into the hard disk.

Its like the virtual machine huh? Which one would be more appropriate? They seem similar. I guess I would be safer using these.

The reason I like sandboxie is that it is easy to use and also you can install in limited user account and when you are finish you just delete contents or erase them if you like.
Dennis

Yup, it is very easy to use :slight_smile: A VM is not needed here, use that when you go to the “Dark Side” of the internet :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

The toolbar will install itself into his browser.
I was unaware that sandboxie allowed you install add-ons into a sandbox and leave your browser unaffected.
I thought that you ran sandboxie, loaded up your browser, and then you could surf in the sandbox.
I haven’t used sandboxie for a couple of years, so maybe this is a new feature?

martin, you could also look into SVS, was developed by Altiris, and then Symantec bought the company.
I used it for some months, it worked fairly well for applications which you know are not malware but aren’t very critical.

It’s free also for non-commercial use.

From this page: Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything

Altiris® Software Virtualization Solution™ (SVS™) is a new way to use software. By placing applications and data into managed units called Virtual Software Packages™ (VSP’s™), SVS allows you to instantly activate, deactivate, or reset applications, to completely avoid conflicts between applications, and to remove them cleanly without altering the base Windows installation. Say goodbye to “DLL Hell” and “Registry Rot”. Getting apps and data into VSP’s is simple with an included tool. See the offical product page for the full details.

All your ideas sound good. Wonder which one I’ll go with. Maybe I’ll try them all. :wink:

Have just used Sandboxie. Seems fine. It installed the toolbar only in the sandboxed browsers. ;D Thanks. Will be learning all about these different virtual machine thingys so I’d be safer. (:AGL)