Is My kernel32.dll Infected?

My story began in this post in the Virus/Malware Removal Assistance section.

The thing is… CIS AV isn’t reporting it as a malware.

But my Avira V9 identified it as a trojan.

I’ve submitted my kernel32.dll to VirusTotal and this link is the result. I’ve also submitted it to CIMA and this is what I got.

I don’t even know if I should call this a suspicious file (because it looks like a false positive) or a false positive (because it’s Avira that has detected it, not CIS AV).

Should I upload my kernel32.dll here for further analysis?

Thanks.

Hi Rill,

Please check your file with latest base of CIS 3.10.
If CIS 3.10 detects your file, and if you feel it is false detection, Please attach the particular file here.

Please use the procedure given in below link.
https://forums.comodo.com/false_positivenegative_reporting_is_this_a_malware_that_cis_hasnot_detected/how_to_report_false_positivessuspicious_files_how_to_submit_them-t36051.0.html

Regards,
-Chandra Mohan

Thank you gmohan.

The reason I haven’t yet upgraded to V3.10 is that I’ve read in this forum that even with the auto updater, after the upgrade all my settings and rules will disappear as if installing anew.
I’m currently pretty busy until the evening of the coming Tuesday, so I don’t have the time to configure all my rules again until then.

I’ll get back here on Tuesday, after I’ve upgraded to V3.10 and scan the files again. I hope my kernel32.dll can wait and doesn’t cause any problem, if it was really a trojan that is.

Thanks again.

A very unexpected turn of events.

Yesterday, Tuesday, was the first day of my holidays, but my computer encountered some unknown hardware problems and couldn’t be turned on. :frowning: (I’m now using someone else’s.) I don’t know how long it will take but definitely not one or two days. Until it’s fixed I won’t even be able to turn it on.

So… I’m not sure in this case whether this thread should be closed or not.
Anyway, thanks to all of you who have responded to my problem. :slight_smile:

It will stay open. Report back when you are ready to.