Is it safe to remove a global rule?

Hi,

I am using CIS 5.5.195786.1383

Is it a good idea to remove the global rule ‘Block IP In From MAC Any To MAC Any Where Protocol Is Any’?

I have discovered that by removing this rule, some software i am using (Soulseek), reports that a required port is open and will connect properly. If I leave the rule as it is, no matter how i try to configure Comodo, Soulseek reports that the required port is closed and will not connect properly.

Without the rule, am i leaving my pc open to nasty things/people getting in?

Thanks,

funkyspaceman

Hi funkyspaceman,

Welcome to the forum.

It is just like leaving your house’s door wide open with a lot of burglars around! :-\

Soulseek is P2P for file sharing network and application. You should keep the global rule blocking all inbound connections and open the port required by Soulseek. To do that, follow the instructions in this FAQ (take the 2d option named “the new way”) : https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-faq-cis/with-cis-v4-my-p2p-client-utorrent-e-mule-is-not-working-properly-anymore-t54156.0.html;msg382255#msg382255

Give also to Soulseek in FW > application rules the predefined policy “trusted application” which allow outbound and inbound connections.

hi,

thanks for your reply!

i’ve tried and followed the advice in your link but neither method worked.
your other suggestion (Give also to Soulseek in FW > application rules the predefined policy “trusted application” which allow outbound and inbound connections.) worked though, and for now, soulseek says the port is open :slight_smile:

i’ll be bookmarking this page for whenever i next re-format my pc and have to re-install everything.

thanks again!

funkyspaceman