is it safe to let svchost.exe act as a server? messenger won't open [Resolved]

my msn wont open and i think its becous i wont let it act as a server…
i dont let svchost.exe act like a server ider…
shold i??
can someone help me please?
i use xp pro and i am a home user

hi

svchost.exe is a legit and important Windows file. General advice is to allow on such alerts. In v3 you shouldn’t see such alerts anymore mainly due to the safelist database will encompass even new legit files (right now it’s still outdate for v2). Here’s a related thread I closed today: https://forums.comodo.com/help/firefox_and_java_as_servers_helppppppp-t12777.0.html

well mr Soya
it was me in that link
lol
it is just that i am peranoide about anythung on my computer actung as a sever…
why would it act as a server? what purpu :BNCes ?? funnyyyy
but i will take you advice and i thank you again…
what about the MSN messenger? shoud it be aloud as a server?
thank you

LOL

That’s not the first that I overlooked in this forum today ;D. (LM should know)

Is it still asking you for these servers thingies even with the skip loopback check option enabled? Anyway, svchost is a vital process I as posted above. I bet you because of the recent Windows Updates updated some of its file versions and it’s not yet enlisted in CFP’s safe database that you’re receiving these alerts. So bottom line is if you recognize the program files in question, then allow it. A simple rule of thumb is: if it doesn’t allow the program to connect after denying, then allow it.

the loop skip is cheked-firefox ok
window update mnuale ok after i allow svchot free conection
however the messenger will not go on line unless granted servers rights !! now i am no export but messenger shoud not be acting like servers am i corect ??
this is msn messenger (:SAD)

so what do i do??

Sorry I forgot to explain about the ‘server’ deal. I myself don’t know it inside out like an expert would, but most of the time it’s due to the loopback connections that certain programs require (most browsers do, for example). Other times CFP just needs to confirm if an program is allowed to receive packets, even though it doesn’t actually connect to your computer - for example, I have Yahoo Messenger that I need Application Monitor rules for both In & Out. Same applies to MSN Messenger due to the nature of the program I suppose. This thread might explain better:
https://forums.comodo.com/help/application_monitor-t8321.0.html;msg60525#msg60525

You might ask, “How do we know for sure that Yahoo Messenger doesn’t connect to your computer?”. The answer is simple: unless you created a Network Monitor rule to open up a port and allow incoming connections, it won’t happen. Network Monitor has the final say regardless of what you have set up for Application Monitor. The other way to confirm is to keep an eye :wink: on your log.

is ther a simpol set up fot that??
please forgive me but i got lost in that link
how do i crate a rule for it?? i meen i know the process but what do i know about ports ip adress and network ?/ i am just a simpel guy…
lol
sory to bug you but i reely like to solve this prablom
oh sorry about the speling too… (:SAD)

and if you saying that unless a network rule will be criated the messenger will not be abol to in conect in that kase isnt ti just ez to let act like a server insted of creating a monitor rule?/
by the way spydoctor 5.0 will not update automaticly but mnuale is ok just for general nolage

talking about network

i have this on the network rules

icmp in from ip (any) where icmp message is time exceeded

and

icmp un from ip (any) where icmp message is fragmentation

is that save??

Don’t worry about manually creating rules. When you run MSN messenger or if you encounter these act as a server alerts on programs that you recognize, just allow and click the Remember option it’ll automatically create Application Monitor rules for you.

As for ICMP in Network Monitor - this is off topic, but I’ll explain anyway. The 2 rules you pointed out are the default ones - they are safe. However, most people don’t need them so deleting them doesn’t hurt either (I’ve tested it before so I know it didn’t have any ill effects).

Here’s little mac’s favorite thread (he’ll be happy that i advertised for him ;D):
https://forums.comodo.com/frequently_asked_questions_faq_for_comodo_firewall/tutorials_a_compiled_resource-t6167.0.html

i gave permitin to act like a server then i deleted the rule and blocked it again

guess what?/
its working …lol
but wait … now the window update wont work
lol
i cant bulive it (:SAD)

this id 1 big price to pay for a free firewall … lol
how about reinstoling and starting over?/

You don’t need to reinstall. Why did you block it again if you knew it was necessary to allow?

i do not want my meesenger transmiting my privet info all over the net
i have used ZA 8yers and never had a prablom about bloking meesenger
i know this is a better firewall but to let my messenger act as a server sound bad to me
are you saying that i can allow the messenger to act as a server without risk???
you just told me that for your yahoo you made some rules …
by letting it becomjng a server is that a rule?? or i can ristrict it some how??

Maybe some pictures might explain better it in order to show you there’s nothing to worry about. The “act as a server” alert may scare you and new users (I was once like that) because CFP isn’t clear on its definition. Hopefully in v3 it’s more meaningful (if such alerts are still there):

Even though in App Mon I allow in & out for Yahoo, it don’t matter because Net Mon don’t have any allowed incoming connection rules (except the one I use for uTorrent that you can see highlighted in the picture). Remember that Net Mon has the final decision. What people don’t realize is how the 2 rules system works and that CFP has 2 layers of protections. The fact that you’re still afraid and ask this question means you did not read Little Mac’s tutorial thread. I know it’s long, so I’ll just point you to the relevant thread about this double protection layer.

Simplified Example: If you allow X program all internet access in App Mon, as long as you don’t have any Incoming rules in Net Mon, nothing on the internet can connect to X program.

I didn’t have to create any rules in App Mon for Yahoo - those were created by CFP automatically when first opened Yahoo and CFP just alerts me Allow or Deny - I clicked Allow a couple of times with the remember option enabled. That’s it.

I hope that’s clearer…

[attachment deleted by admin]

now you are talking my friend
and by the way i read the link
lol
i thank you for your time… things are much clear now…
you are wright 100% about the fear of the server thing as a new user…
but after reading the link and your last post i understoo .(finaly lol)…
maybe the " out of the box setting " that are at the end of that long long post by your friens should go in the user guide in V3 or even at the top of the help posts at all times !!
that will save you a lot of time !
(:WAV) (:CLP) thank you my friend (:CLP)

Real-life examples are always the best explanations

I hope Comodo will improve the manual in v3 to include examples and good explanations like Little Mac’s. One thing to note: I haven’t used v3, so I’ll have to re-learn almost everything from scratch. Be prepared! :o