Is comodo alright for newbies [resolved]

Hi everyone

I am a computer iliterate, i have tried but nothing seeps in.

I tried this firewall about a year ago and got a BSOD, from what i have been reading this rarely happens now, am i correct?

I am on dial up is this okay?

As far as a firewall is concerned i don’t really now what the alerts etc mean, is this a easy firewall to configure? As my Username says computer brain dead tha (WCF3)ts me.

I have downloaded and will most likely install in the next week or so but i am just checking through the forum to see what i can look forward to .

Thanks in advance For any help.

Cheers computerbraindead (peter) (WCF3)

Hi, ummmm… braindead,

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

Version 2 of Comodo Personal Firewall (CPF) is brilliant, but still quite simple to set up. A basic understanding of what a firewall is and what is does helps. :wink:

If you have a look at www.embsolutions.com.au/cpf_rule/index.htm, it gives an explanation of what basic rules are required, how to set them up and why they are needed. It might be a bit of a slog over dial up (flash component is around 700K) but might help.

If you have any specific queries after viewing the tutorial, feel free to post them here. The users on this forum are very knowledgeable and very helpful, and the support Comodo is the best.

Again,welcome to the forums.

Ewen :slight_smile:
(WCF3)

Update: Please note, the above URL can only be accessed by using Microsoft Explorer. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi panic

Thanks for your welcome to the forums.

I am in the process of checking out embsolutions com now, Found it excellent.
I have found this forum very informative by just reading other people posts.
Cheers (WCF3)

Hi

This is where my stupidity will show note (user name)

Do you have to set up your home network as a trusted zone as i have only a single computer.
Please be gentle with me.

Cheers pete (WCF3)

Pete,
Ewen has made a Flash tutorial. There’s a link in the FAQ part of the forum at this location.

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,395.0.html

It’s a step by step flash tutorial that is really easy follow.

Eric

Hi EricEgan

yes i have looked at it and found it brilliant, but what i was refering to is with a single computer do you have to set up a trusted zone.
at the momment i am using Zone alarm free and i didn’t have to set up a trusted zone.
Just okay what was coming in and out with allow or deny.

Sorry if i caused any confusion.

Cheers pete (WCF3)

Hey Pete,

Don’t worry about your stupidity showing - I wear mine as an outer layer of armour to prevent others soaking in! LOL

Zone are typically used to define all of the PCs on a network that need to communicate amongst themselves. If you’ve only got one PC, you don’t need to define a zone, but you do need a firewall!

If you’ve had a look at the flash stuff, you’ll have seen three rules defined - 1) allow home LAN, 2) allow outbound from me to the internet and 3) block unsolicited inbound from the internet to me.

Although you may think that rule 3 would stop stuff getting back to you, the key is that , in rule 2, your PC is asking for stuff from the internet and things coming back as a response to your request are permitted under rule 2, not rule 3. If something on the internet tries to contact your PC WITHOUT you asking for it first, then rule 3 would block the access.

Hope this helps - hang in there, it’s not really as hard as it looks.Once you get your head around the basic concepts, the rest just falls into place.

RGDS,
(WCF3) Aussie Aussie Aussie - OI OI OI!

Thanks panic

I think i understand roughly how it works (touch wood ;D) Could i just use the default settings and just deny or okay when items want access to and out of the computer.

If not i will set it up how your flash shows how to set it up.
[url]http://www.embsolutions.com.au/cpf_rule/index.htm[/url]

I will most likely try it in the next 2 to 4 days as i will not be able to get on the computer much for a few days.

Would not like to install it and rest of my family have trouble or i may wear the computer.

Once again thanks for your help and this is a great place for asking questions and so friendly. (CWY)

Cheers Pete
(WCF3) Yep Aussie Aussie Aussie - OI OI OI!

Pete,

Do the members of your family login under separate logins? If so, you may have issues with CPF. It has problems with fast user switching under XP and with non-administrator accounts.

Let me know.

Cheers,
(WCF3)

Hi panic

No we all just use one login for all of us.

Cheers pete
(WCF3)

No probs, Pete.

The best thing to do in your case is 1) use the “Scan for known applications” button in CPF (it knows about 10,000 apps) and 2) to login and execute all the programs on your PC that the other members of your house are likely to use - even if they aren’t overtly-internet type programs. You’ll be suprised at how many programs “phone home” for updates etc.

Out of curiousity, whereabouts in Oz are you? I’m in western Sydney. Reply by private message, if you prefer.

Cheers,
(WCF3)

Thanks Ewen

I come from a small place in South Australia, North of Adelaide.

Cheers Pete
(WCF3)

Hey Pete,

umerachaI love SA. My wife and I nearly bought as property at Gumeracha up in the hills. That’s the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t believe the locals thought it was too far to travel to Adelaide, being 30 minutes away!! 30 minutes is a drive around the block in some parts of Sydney. LOL

cya
(WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3) OI OI OI

Just a simple question to ask…

i’m using dial-up connection… do i need to create rule 0 and rule 1? it seems it’s not necessary as it’s form home LAN. but i need confirmation… thanks…

OK guys, another question as well as the guy i am interrupting (:TNG)

Will COMODO Firewall in the future be able to work under a Restricted User (Once being installed under an administrator account)??. The Restricted user added security is GREAT, it really does ad another layer of security for the COMODO driver, as it can’t be killed as easily, if at all. (Not saying COMODO CAN be killed easily)

Cheers, rotty

Hi and welcome,

If it’s a home network then you need to add it as a trusted zone. If you just use one computer connected to the internet then the default settings are fine.

Mike

Hi,

CPF already works under restricted user account. If you are getting a message saying something like ‘CPF is not active because its in use’ this is becuase CPF did not support fast user switching. However, CPF is still active regardless of the message. From version 2.3 you will no longer get this message. Version 2.3 will be released next week.

Mike

OK (:CLP)

cheers, rotty

Your welcome.
:wink:
Mike