Is CIS 5 ready for Majority of Users i.e Average Users???

As you guyz know CIS 5 final is going to be released this 14th. So just thought of discussing here the most common topic with any internet security software, is it recommended for the majority of internet users i.e Average Users. Many of guyz here are running RC 2, I too tried it for short time. Here’s what I think of CIS 5 for Avergae Users…

Personally I think CIS 5 suite is still not for Average Users. The reasons being…

1. Antimalware gives FP’s, its ok every antimalware gives FP’s but CAV gives FP’s for most common & trusted softwares too & even for windows files too.

2. Auto Sandbox is good for Average Users but still there are popups with auto sandbox, D+ popups like COM & Protected Registry one. I think if an app is auto sandboxed there should be no popups. Technically I dont know if I am right or not so plzz correct me if I am wrong.

3. Installation i.e Unlimited Rights Popup when allowed, sometimes files are sandboxed by autosandbox & the install/uninstall fails. Why auto sandbox comes into the picture & breaks the install/uninstall when the install/uninstall is given Unlimited Rights. Unlimited Rights Popup should be like other popups, fewer options & more options, & the sandbox button should be under more options. when Average Users install/uninstall an app & get Unlimited Rights Popup with sandbox recommendation they sandbox it & breaks or corrupts the install/uninstall, uninstall of app gets corrupted.

4. The Security Description on the popup is same for Basic i.e Fewer Options & Advance i.e More Options. It should be little simple in the default i.e basic mode for Average Users.

5. On Antivirus Alerts & Scan Results Window Quarantine Button should be visible & Clean should be renamed to Delete. Disinfect should be removed coz it deletes the file.

Plzz Your Comments & Reasons for, Is CIS 5 ready for Majority of Users i.e Average Users???

Thanxx
Naren

I’ve heard many times about FPs, but I never had even one. May be you put you heuristics to high, then it’s a logical consequence.

I also don’t remember any pop ups caused by malicious files sandboxed. None of my good files wasn’t sandboxed so i don’t know how they behave being sandboxed.

Adonis, shortly after install on Sept. 2 I had my Open office application Sandboxed. I couldn’t open it nor access it (message error Windows could not find the path!). I never received a Sandbox alert! Only way to use my application again was to put them in the trust files. So my test of yesterday with notepad.exe is bogus as it will not be unrecognised file and I cannot be sure if the Sand box works or not. Just asking Comodo to double check it just in case!

[attachment deleted by admin]

I am a proponent of making CIS intuitive and simple for the average user. Over the past few years, I have been helping Comodo by compiling a list of usability issues that I think need to be addressed (the list is compiled from ideas posted by the forum members). Since CIS 3, Comodo has improved the usability significantly and has addressed many of the the items on the usability list (the compiled list can only be accessed by users with special privileges).

Also, Melih has posted several times that he aims to make CIS easy to use, even for the novice. Given the improvements in usability over the last several versions, Melih is keeping his promise.

When a new technology is added (e.g. sandbox, cloud scanning, etc.), it takes a while to address the usability issues. But, keep in mind that many of the added technologies will help improve usability (e.g. sandbox). I agree that there is still room for improvement. But Comodo is making progress, and there will be more usability improvements to come. So, we are progressing toward a CIS that anybody can use, whether they are a beginner or expert.

Whoop

Can you please show me an example FP window ssytem file that CIS detects? And some common trusted software for exmaple?

Is it ready? Short answer is no. While I think the false positive issue is overblown, I am starting to have doubts a HIPs program will ever be for the mainstream. While Comodo has made a valiant attempt to reduce popups, I still find too many problems installing and/or updating programs.

over 1M new users every month install and use CIS.

Not all are expert users!

We expect this number to grow after ver 5 with the better usability.

Melih

Hopefully the CIS v5 release will have capitalized on all the beta testing that has been done and it will be more ready for the average user than CIS v4.1. We should know a lot more about v5’s user friendliness by the end of September.

~Maxx~

From the beginning of CIS4 i am a fan of it…even though i use it on all of my laptops i suggested avast or avira for my friends(you can call them malware illiterates or average users).the only reason for that as you all know is its high degree of user participation and popups.last week i gave them CIS RC2 and told them this is the best you get…you know what no one called me back asking “hey cis is asking me to sandbox this that…etc”

thats great news, thank you!

Melih

I am talking about Average Users so no changes in the settings i.e Default Settings.

Thanxx
Naren

You can check in the False Positive Thread.

Thanxx
Naren

Yes I agree but How Many Uninstall After Trying??

Hope V5 is really user friendly when released.

Thanxx
Naren

Yes the install/uninstall gets troublesome when any file is autosandboxed. About FP’s you can check FP’s thread, many VT links only detected by comodo (FP’s).

Thanxx
Naren

Yet I too haven’t recommended CIS to Average Users though I have used it on & off. I tried RC 2 for a short time and found it way better than V4 but still there are little probs & needs little improvements & changes to better suit the average users.

I definitely will install V5 final on my laptop & if found V5 final good for average users will definitely recommend it to other average users, my bro, frds & any.

Thanxx
Naren

I used for a short time pre version 4 CIS.

I used more time CIS 4.1 that was an improvement in usability.

Now i use CIS 5.0 RC 2 and i want to say it’s a giant leap in development of CIS that is so much more silent and user friendly and still invincible for malware. If you could improve AV you would made me the happiest man in the world 88)

I do not deceive you, if I say that I do not seen in a blind sympathy for Comodo, but I think that the interaction is reduced to an acceptable level for the average user (i do not like the price to achieve this, but that’s another story) There will always be people are not ready to learn the basic things, so this is generally a rhetorical question СIS ready or not, which will never be an answer - there is no limit to perfection - i have not stupid friends that I still check that they Avast put to the quarantine :).

Have a nice time, Alex.

I agree with u. I hope they focus on AV too. But I guess now they are concentrating on sandbox & cloud & when the final is released their focus will shift to local behaviour blocker and the AV again will be left back. Since the introduction of AV there are no changes in the AV, I mean it has improved a lot, but the same basic settings. Dont you think there should be some settings for AV too. Like I read in one of the thread here that CAV detects everything as malware, like PUP & things which are not actual malware, so there should be some settings for these types of things & there are many other options/settings which should be there in an AV.

Thanxx
Naren

I agree. Average Users are like little knowledge is dangerous thing, & therefore they like products like Norton doing things automatic. Norton though not excellent like Comodo but Average Users prefer it coz of unobtrusiveness. Wish Comodo can have automatic mode for average users.

Thanxx
Naren

Powerful Hips can’t be user-friendly. That’s why there is a need in a compromise between protection and usability. Norton is really far behind CIS in the the total protection but it’s far in front of CIS in N00b friendliness. that’s why many are ready to even pay money for it