IPhone not connecting with firewall installed.

I ended up adding a HIPS Rule for iTunesHelper (allowed app) and then enabled HIPS in Training Mode (it was off before). I also had no other HIPS rules since I had HIPS disabled for a long time and had deleted all existing HIPS rules. I then rebooted the computer, and then iTunes opened properly and recognized the iPhone without any problem.

Then, I tried to walk it back to the old state by deleting all HIPS rules again (including the iTunesHelper), disabled HIPS, and then rebooted the computer again. But this time, iTunes worked just fine and it recognized the iPhone without any problem as well.

So, I’m not exactly sure how things got messed up to the point of preventing iTunes/iTunesHelper from working properly. I have not been able to put it back to the “old broken” state…

I will have to watch it during the next version update to see if it stops working again… I will have to monitor it for the time being to see if anything changes…

Thanks for your help…

I’m glad for you that the issue is “solved” despite not knowing what really caused it.

Not saying that you have to do the following (as it works now and one should never change a running system) but maybe the issue returns when uninstalling CIS and installing it again or perhaps it returns with a next iTunes version, who knows.

No thanks, you’re welcome!

Next time you comes in a situation like that again and if its not the auto sandbox, hips, firewall rules blocking it. then check the file list. Usually that’s the first thing i do when i download a software update or something and its not running right.

To access “file list” Open Comodo and click on “settings” then “file Rating”, the click “file list”. In the columns (probably a light gray color), click on “ratings” once or twice to see if there is unknown file, if so change it to trusted.

It wouldn’t hurt to check the file list every once in a while to look for files that don’t have the green checkmark with the word “trusted” on it