IP location and VPN

Hi I’ve been trying diffrent free VPN software
I’m yet to find 1 that can hide my location from this site http://www.whatsmyip.org/more-info-about-you/ ???
any help/ideas/enlightenment be greatly appreciated
thanx MW

Have you tried Comodo trust connect?

Have you tried Comodo trust connect?

I havent 88) would like to but its a pay for product as far as im aware, I know you generally get what you pay for but I’ve been looking at free software.

is there a free trial for Comodo trust connect?
MW

there is a free version but its ad supported

If you want something really simple, you could take a look at TunnelBear It offers 512MB a month free (1GB if you tweet about it) Just install, set-up an account and go. If you like it you can pay for a subscription. Obviously, if you’re looking for something to handle p2p traffic, you’ll need an offshore paid service, as the free options tend to be quite limited.

there is a free version but its ad supported

oh ;D cant believe i missed this 88)
I’m in the process of registering with comodo easy VPN, whats the difference pls
MW

If you want something really simple, you could take a look at TunnelBear It offers 512MB a month free (1GB if you tweet about it) Just install, set-up an account and go. If you like it you can pay for a subscription. Obviously, if you're looking for something to handle p2p traffic, you'll need an offshore paid service, as the free options tend to be quite limited.

Thanx Radaghast
I have tried tunnel bear and do like it but the link in my 1st post sees straight thru it to my location, is this supposed to be possible ??
MW

I’m not sure why that’s happening without more information. I’ve just checked again and the tunnel addresses are shown, see images.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I'm not sure why that's happening without more information. I've just checked again and the tunnel addresses are shown, see images.

Its the same with cyberghost ??? I’ve checked with other sites and my location has changed as expected,
why http://www.whatsmyip.org/more-info-about-you/ can pinpoint me even after IP has changed I dont know, makes using a VPN in the UK/US pretty pointless :-
MW

Do you have any plug-ins such as flash or Java enabled? Also, how did you answer when it asked if your would allow tracking?

Do you have any plug-ins such as flash or Java enabled?

yeah both at present,
do you think disabling them will make a difference?
MW

It’s worth a try, flash is notorious for leaking information. I edited my earlier question to ask about your answer regarding tracking…

It's worth a try, flash is notorious for leaking information. I edited my earlier question to ask about your answer regarding tracking...

Hi yeah same result tried clearing cookies and data also,
CD is my default browser, will try other browsers see what happens,
also emailed tunnelbear see if they can shed some light on this
MW

I just tried dragon with flash and java and it was still not able to identify my true location. It will be interesting to see what TB have to say. However, from your first post, it seems you’ve tried a few different VPNs all with the same ‘issue’?

I just tried dragon with flash and java and it was still not able to identify my true location. It will be interesting to see what TB have to say. However, from your first post, it seems you've tried a few different VPNs all with the same 'issue'?

hmm just tried on google chrome with - Do not allow any site to track my physical location- enabled and I was hidden,
I noticed that when I visited this site for the !st time there is a message asking if you will allow it to track your location…the difference been on the Dragon I initially allowed this where as on G chrome I didnt.
Also after reading googles location tracking info, apparently they use local WIFI points to assist in “placing” you maybe thats whats happening here ??? other than that still scratching my head ???
will rerport TB’s response
Thanx MW

Indeed, that’s why I asked the question earlier. I don’t use WiFi any more, then again we’ve not had a visit from Google spy cars either :slight_smile:

Indeed, that's why I asked the question earlier. I don't use WiFi any more, then again we've not had a visit from Google spy cars either

:smiley:
well I feel a bit better now, as I said no other site can place me, think I myt have enabled a super cookie or something ???
As far as Google…I think startingpage.com/diconnect/ghostery/dragon are a good start
Thanx again for your time
MW

If you’ve had Google street view cars in your location, and you use a WiFi router, they probably will have snagged the MAC address, this can also be used for tracking purposes.

If you allow Google Chrome to share your location with a site, the browser will send local network information to Google Location Services to get an estimate of your location. The browser can then share your location with the requesting site. The local network information used by Google Location Services to estimate your location includes information about visible WiFi access points, including their signal strength; information about your local router; your computer's IP address. The accuracy and coverage of Google Location Services will vary by location.

Google Chrome saves your location information so that it can be easily retrieved. This information is periodically updated; the frequency of updates depends on changes to your local network information.

If you do not want Google Chrome to contact Google Location Services, select “Do not allow any site to track my physical location” as your default permission for location requests or do not click Allow in location request prompts.

For more information on how your information is protected, see our Privacy Policy. You should also examine a website’s privacy policy before sharing your location with them.

If you've had Google street view cars in your location, and you use a WiFi router, they probably will have snagged the MAC address, this can also be used for tracking purposes.

Im trying to find out…suspect we have >:(
looks like I myt be giving up the WIFI

Ok TB got back to me… this is a browser feature. In short, your browser can determine your location based on wifi networks near your pc (as well as your IP address). Note however that you have to give explicit permission for your browser to use this feature

Good news :smiley:
as i suspected as I initially gave permission to track my location
MW