Internet Security Question

I’m a fairly new user of Comodo Dragon, and like it so far. My question is about the enforced secure connection (lock icon). Is this the same as a secure VPN when accessing sensitive sites like banking? I currently use an open, non-secured Internet service, but when logging on to a banking site, I employ a portable modem. Does Dragon eliminate the need to use my portable modem, since it provides the same protection, even when using public wi-fi? That would be good since I wouldn’t have to pay for data usage with the modem.Thanks for your help.

Hi Ed44 and welcome to the Comodo forums. The extension you’re referring to is Comodo’s own version of HTTPS everywhere extension. It allows you to define domains and subdomains of websites to force or ignore HTTPS connections when connecting to that website.

Thanks Futuretech. Does that mean that I can do private banking using CD in a public wi-fi environment, without having to use my portable modem?

Yeah you should be fine of course if you have CIS with secure shopping and ISE (internet security essentials) installed you would be better protected and under the firewall settings enable anti-arp spoofing too.

Thanks again, Futuretech. If I don’t need to use my modem anymore for a secure connection, I’ll be saving some $$. :slight_smile: I already have Norton Internet security installed and like that, too. It’s saved my bacon a few times. I think you mentioned another app that could be added to CD. Would that be preferable, or does CD provide enough protection by itself?

CD should be enough. I was talking about Comodo Internet Security which comes with secure shopping, Internet Security Essentials and in the firewall you can enable a setting that prevents MitM attacks against you when you’re connected to untrusted local networks. This setting is called anti-arp spoofing which was previously called protect the arp cache.

Thanks again. Sounds like CIS is a good program. When my Norton Security expires, I’ll look into it.

COMODO Internet Security is much more secure than any other AV/FW Suite on the market. The majority of other products use a Blacklist (known bad files) or a WhiteList (known good files) COMODO combines the two. Then they add another layer of protection for unknown files (Containment) any file that is unknown it places in a virtual prison it lets it run but not have access to your hardware or operating system. They analyze the file in the cloud (Valkyrie) that determines whether the file is safe or malicious. If safe the next time it runs it will be in the white list. If malicious it will be deleted/quarantined based on settings. These are just the AV features the HIPS and Firewall features are just as impressive.

One post by an apparent CIA hacker published by WikiLeaks said Comodo is “a colossal pain in the posterior. It literally catches everything until you tell it not to.”

He is not wrong, unless you the user tells COMODO to allow a files or action it will block or contain it unless on the white list.

Just my two cents ;D