Internet connection going out [Resolved]

The rule order looks good. There’s just a little bit of tweaking that needs to be done.

On the three new ICMP rules, the direction needs to be In, rather than the default In/Out. There is a pulldown list for Direction like there is for the Protocol.

And, on rule 2 (block — 224.0.0.0, that one), the Protocol needs to be IP rather than just TCP/UDP. There is a lot of stuff that can move over the multicast addresses beyond just TCP and UDP. Selecting Protocol as IP will catch all of it.

How does your CFP log look? If you post a screenshot, just the first screen will be enough to give me a sense for traffic volume. I’m expecting that the amount of stuff in the log will be way down from what you had at the beginning of this topic.

When you mention the three ICMP rules, which numbers are you refering to?

Here is a screenshot of the CFP log

Sorry, I should have given you the rule numbers.

It’s rules 6, 7, and 8. The ones that say “Allow ICMP In/Out”, should say “Allow ICMP In”.

For an hour and a half, that’s a decently busy CFP log. It’s “normal” junk on the Internet these days, and is showing that CFP is doing it’s job. If stuff starts piling up in the log, then there’s some kind of problem. Either a CFP rule needs changing, or somebody out on the Internet is throwing a lot of probes or such at your machine. Your screen shot isn’t showing anything piling up. That’s good.

Everything looks good. I’d say you’re all set.

I changed the rules to what they should be. I’d say that I’m all done. I really want to thank you for all of your help. I’m no expert in firewalls. I can download and install one, but that’s about it.

Glad to have been of help. You can watch the CFP log for the next couple of days to see if anything strange show up in the log. If it does, you can post your questions here.

I’ll hold this topic open for the next couple of days, and then lock it for reference. If it needs to be reopened, just PM any of the moderators.

Fair enough