Interesting Review

Today we found the following article, by Matt Perkins. We appreciate pertinent/critical reviews like this one, as we carefully ■■■■■ user feedback, while deciding priorities in our product roadmap.

The article can be found here: Comodo Programs Manager - User reviews

Yes, I agree with some of the points made by Matt. CPM should function similar to Secunia PSI (regarding vulnerabilities) and also report on software updates (like CVA used to do :slight_smile: ).

Also, catagorize windows updates as security, hardware and software (like MS’s website). Once these features are added, I very much look forward to installing CPM.

:slight_smile:

Be sure that we’ll get there. The roadmap is pretty big and we’ll continuously add new features/functionality. We won’t copy competition… we have enough new things that we want to add in it, but still we have to keep our users happy :).

With all respect, Matt is describing/advocating a bloatware in my opinion.

1. It doesn't monitor or keep your software patched like Secunia PSI. 2. Start up manager. 3. It won't optimize Windows Services like Vista Services Optimizer. 4. It won't keep your drivers or software up-to-date for you.
It's pretty much like like making shortcuts to Windows features for your desktop.
I don't think so...
It won't let you do Windows Updates without Windows Updates turned on.
No software will. Microsoft won't let it as Windows Update is one of the major antipiracy tools of them.

Personally, I feel that 1 and 4 are crucial to CPM. Vulnerabilities are only fixed when updates are applied so it is very important to monitor installed software and report any vulnerabilities and updates that can fix these vulnerabilities.

What about 3?
Then a CD burner, a privacy cleaner, a cup of coffee, some paper and glue, a firewall and so on…

I didn’t think cpm is quite ready for prime time but it’s present form is real good start

Hi,

This article fails to mention important features like monitoring an application and making an installable package out of it.

It's not as powerful an uninstaller as Revo Uninstaller
If he refers at the monitored applications I must disagree with that. There is nothing more powerful that removing every single trace that an application creates.
It doesn't monitor like Secunia PSI

Secunia PSI searches for the newly installed applications it doesn’t monitor all the entries that comes with them.

It won't let you do Windows Updates without Windows Updates turned on
We make sure that Windows Updates stays turned on while the application is open

Hi Alexandru

Could you explain why CPM needs to make an installable package from an already installed product?

Hello,
The installable package could be used to do quick reinstalls on a similar machine or to make quick deployment on a LAN and to ensure consistency of settings.

So CPM turns an *.exe into an *.msi which can then be deployed within a domain? For example, if I installed CD (Dragon), made changes to the default settings, I could then re-package with these settings included?

Yes, but also the installable package makes a redistributable not only for .msi packages, but also for all the rest as long as it gets monitored. Indeed, the changes made during the install phase will be saved. As for the settings you customize for a application after you close the setup screen, they are also saved and will be successfully redeployed with your old settings.

Dorin.

Thanks for the explaination. Sounds like a really usefull feature.

Indeed it is.
For folks like me that perform regular installs of Windows and all the applications that are commonly used,it’s extremely useful to have a quick way to install pre-configured software. :-TU

But what settings are kept?
The installation path, the install options?
What more? For instance, Firefox profile is included? Settings made after the installation? Which ones? It could “import” settings in an .ini file?

Hi,

The installation path - yes
The install options - yes [ both of them, as long as the installable package is redeployed on a machine similar in build ( x86 or x64 ) and os ]
If the .ini file or registry key firefox keeps it’s settings in is not created in a different folder than the ones created at setup time it will be redeployed along with the installable package - so yes, the settings file(s) will be redeployed successfully - we tried with 3.6.8, don’t know about firefox’s beta behaviour regarding it’s setting location. The regular mozilla usually stores it’s settings files in it’s install directory %PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\ or %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox\ and there should be no trouble restoring them to their initial state [ i’m referring especially to the settings made (changed) after install, at any time ]. So there is no need to import the .ini file.

Dorin.

Amazing feature!
Congratulations! If you can really achieve that, very useful (and unique?) feature.