Insufficient alert info in a browser environment

Comodo (and I believe all other firewalls) really do not provide adequate information in the security alerts for tabbed browsers. Firewalls go only as deep as the application. So Comodo alerts are not particularly useful in tabbed browsers with multiple tabs open because each tab is effectively another instance of the browser. When a security message is issued from the Comodo. it only tells you that the application (firefox.exe in this case) is trying to connect to some IP addr. What is needed is more information such as what tab in firefox is trying to reach out. This is more of an issue now that IE7 (which holds about 80-85% of the marketplace) supports tabbed browsing.

Hi iamme99

I think if you bump CFPs Alert Frequency Level up to Very High, then CFP will prompt for each IP that your browser attempts to contact… is that what you were after?

I wouldn’t personnally run at that Alert Frequency Level because CFP would drive me crazy with pop-ups & I know that I would start answering the pop-ups without really looking at them eventually, which sort of negates the whole idea in the first place. But, that’s probably just me.

No, that is not what I mean. I AM running at very high because I am curious. There are a lot of pop-ups but it is interesting to monitor them and see where sites are reaching out to.

Back to the question you posed:

Do you use a tabbed browser? If you had your settings at Very High, you would see a lot of pop-up security alerts from Comodo. Although you are working in one tab inside your browser, other tabs inside the same or other browser windows might be doing work in the background (refreshing, etc.). When Comodo presents a security alert pop-up, you do not really know if that alert relates to the active tab you are working in OR one of the other background tabs. Each of those open tabs is effectively a separate browser instance. This would be useful information.

Comodo needs to figure out how to identify WHICH TAB the security alert belongs to. They should also probably put the process ID in the security alert AND in the log which would be useful when you have multiple instances of an application running.